Bring ng ing wine on board

Scotmay

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 11:23 AM, Steelers36 said:

I used to bring some better wines as part of my inventory, but soon stopped when I realized the food was not quite up to the wine and now I just go for good value wine that may end up costing close to the lower prices on the menu, but is far better.

What can be better than to improve your dining experience with a lovely quality wine?!
On our upcoming Anniversary Cruise on the Enchanted we will most likely bring a  bottle of Caymus Cab (one of our faves) to enjoy in the Crown Grill on our special day. (Especially when I noticed that the price onboard is $155! 😲

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 4:15 PM, Steelers36 said:

Nothing to do with the packages.  Also, neither package has a corkage fee waiver benefit.  It is true that bringing a bottle or two of wine back to ship from a port will rarely garner any attention at all and guest can simply proceed with it to their cabin.

That said, bringing said unopened bottle to dinner can result in being assessed a corkage fee.

Right!  And depending on how much you want to enjoy with your meal, you could also just pour it in a glass and enjoy with dinner.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, c-boy said:

We go all in on domestic cruises... 

Sip sip hooray! Alaska Airlines will fly your case of wine for free - Alaska  Airlines News

Wow! Really flies free? Just joking?  But how would you get it through security?

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

"But how would you get it through security?"   My wife will wear a 7X moomoo  and I will duct tape the case to her left leg, leaving the right leg free to kick the security personnel.    That case has been with us for over a decade. We learned early on that there's is a snow ball's chance in hell of getting through port security unnoticed. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

"But how would you get it through security?"   My wife will wear a 7X moomoo  and I will duct tape the case to her left leg, leaving the right leg free to kick the security personnel.    That case has been with us for over a decade. We learned early on that there's is a snow ball's chance in hell of getting through port security unnoticed. 

LOL!  The whole moo moo idea sounded doable!  
Nice bag though!

Edited by suzyed
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I do drink wine almost every night - unless a beer would be more suitable or desirable.  Bottle values vary, and it is not very easy nor really feasible for me to bring any quantity beyond a bottle or two (should I so choose) from Ontario to Fort Lauderdale - or overseas for that matter.  So, I depend on Total Wine to obtain my stash.

Your strategy is perfectly understandable.  I assume that as @suzyed reported you place an online order with Total Wine and arrange to pick it up at the Fort.  I have a similar strategy when I restock Mrs. XBGuy's stash of Chardonnay.  I will place an online order, then. when I meet my brother for our once-a-month breakfast down in his neighborhood, I drop by the Total Wine store in Brea and pick it up.

I had never heard of the producers you mention - although would have surmised located in one or another CA wine region.  Dare I suggest these are smaller producers and won't even find their way into consumer locations that are larger scale because they cannot get the quantities needed. 

You are quite correct.  The makers that I cited are low-volume producers and are not widely distributed.  Many of the wines that I buy are Direct to Consumer (DTC).  I am on about 30 mailing lists.  I regularly buy from about a dozen of them, I occasionally buy from some of them, and I have never bought from a handful of them.  I have seen some of these labels in wine stores (including Total Wine), but that is highly unusual.  California has the most lenient laws regarding wine sales and wine shipment.  I am very aware of the advantage that I have.

Most restaurant wine lists could be called uninspiring. 

I'm inclined to agree.  Happily, BYOB is usually an option.  However, the corkage fee at most restaurants in my area is not nearly as reasonable as Princess' $20.

I am happy for you to be able to take and enjoy the fruits of your own collection.  No idea the size.  For me, I only have a 100+ bottles around at any time and very few duplicates.  I have been in a longish period of trying a wide range of wines curated by a service here in Ontario that can obtain private sourced wines and re-package and share with members. 

That sounds interesting.

Here, we have total government control over wine (and liquor) and so to experience off-shelf wines, one needs to find other ways.  Our liquor board is one of the largest buyers of wine in the world, so again, they need to find quantities as most purchases bring in large quantities.  They do have rare wine program as well, but I digress. 

On a much smaller scale, I do enjoy having some of our local Niagara Region wines that do not make it to the stores which I presume is the case for many of your CA labels.  You are lucky to have so much choice there beyond the names every one knows.

There is a very active poster on a wine-oriented board in which I regularly participate who lives in Victoria, BC. He has made us aware of the Canadian regulations that prevent him from enjoying many of the wines that we discuss, On the other hand, we enjoy his reports on BC wines to which we have no access. I trust his palate, and, when he reports that an Okanagan Valley Syrah is excellent, I am a bit disappointed that I will probably never taste it.

I have enjoyed our conversation very much, @Steelers36.  I hope the moderators do not consider my epistles to be "thread hijacking."  Maybe someday we will meet on a Princess ship.  I will be happy to share, say, a Carlisle Zinfandel with you, and I look forward to trying a Niagara Icewine.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, suzyed said:

What can be better than to improve your dining experience with a lovely quality wine?!
On our upcoming Anniversary Cruise on the Enchanted we will most likely bring a  bottle of Caymus Cab (one of our faves) to enjoy in the Crown Grill on our special day. (Especially when I noticed that the price onboard is $155! 😲

That is also what I do if bringing one from home.  Otherwise, I will splurge for one of the bottles I get from TW.  (And of course, I would never drink wine in my PJ's..  🤣.. glad that thread got killed.. had to throw that in there as I got a couple of "like" notices and it's gone!).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I do drink wine almost every night - unless a beer would be more suitable or desirable.  Bottle values vary

I just have 1 glass wine with dinner but prefer my selection to theirs so I carry 1 for each 4 days onboard and trade the minibar for a mediocre-at-best one. Wish I could carry beer on too .... especially Pliny the Younger. But I've been stopped. So I wait until home to have a good beer. I don't like what I've tried. 

Odd thing is they don't care if I add 1 bottle in Australian or European ports. The table is sometimes there but they just want to check that it isn't hard liquor or tawny port (yes I got it back at the end)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Thank you.

I have read about wine skins, here on Cruise Critic.  I have another carrier that works fine for one or two bottles when packed in a suitcase with my clothing.  When going on a cruise, I am usually taking at least seven, or so, bottles.  So, I have a separate tote that works quite well.  

I think the Princess wine policy is terrific and the corkage fee is quite reasonable.  Like you would not even consider trying to circumvent the fee.  When I put my wine tote through the security scanner,  an agent usually intercepts it and opens it up to verify that it is wine.  He/she then usually directs me to the "wine table" where I sign the chit for the corkage charge.  I have never had a case where the wine table was unattended, like some others have reported.  If that does happen, I will be happy to pay the corkage fee at the restaurant.

We do not "walk off" when disembarking.  We pack our bags and leave them outside our cabin door the last evening of the cruise.  Since we have consumed all our wine, the tote is used for packing the few items--toiletries, some clothes--that we wanted to use after our luggage was picked up.  It works well.  So, I guess, I use it in a fashion similar to your 22" Rollaboard.

From a UK point of view it is a little bit stingy - compare with P&O: Can You Take Alcohol on a P&O Cruise? Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Each passenger, aged 18 or older (21 in the US), is allowed to bring one litre of wine, Champagne, beer, spirits or liqueur onboard. Additional alcohol will be held until the end of the cruise.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Your strategy is perfectly understandable.  I assume that as @suzyed reported you place an online order with Total Wine and arrange to pick it up at the Fort.  I have a similar strategy when I restock Mrs. XBGuy's stash of Chardonnay.  I will place an online order, then. when I meet my brother for our once-a-month breakfast down in his neighborhood, I drop by the Total Wine store in Brea and pick it up.

I have done both - pre-order and shop in person.

You are quite correct.  The makers that I cited are low-volume producers and are not widely distributed.  Many of the wines that I buy are Direct to Consumer (DTC).  I am on about 30 mailing lists.  I regularly buy from about a dozen of them, I occasionally buy from some of them, and I have never bought from a handful of them.  I have seen some of these labels in wine stores (including Total Wine), but that is highly unusual.  California has the most lenient laws regarding wine sales and wine shipment.  I am very aware of the advantage that I have.

Yes, that's nice and so many more producers there.  I do similar with some of the local Niagara Region wineries.  Not all their product makes it to the huge LCBO monopoly..

I'm inclined to agree.  Happily, BYOB is usually an option.  However, the corkage fee at most restaurants in my area is not nearly as reasonable as Princess' $20.

Unfortunately, when our gov't finally relented and allowed for BYOB, they required restauranteurs to update their liquor licenses to allow it.  There was no charge, but many just didn't bother, so they tell customers their license doesn't allow it as an excuse.  Others clearly want to discourage so they set the corkage fee sky-high.  Even new establishments don't seem to add it, so IDK if it is an unknown thing, or the trend is just to deny the option around here.

That sounds interesting.

Private agencies are allowed in Ontario and they source wines from all over world in smaller quantities.  These typically go to the restaurant trade or big collectors because customers are forced to buy in case lots and very few agents will do a mix of say 3 bottles of 4 wines.  What this service does is source out and taste wines and provide reviews and they select a mix, but case lots and then re-package all the wine into mixed pre-set lots for their customers.  It's a great way to try a variety of wines from all over world that are carefully curated for value.  If there is something you really like in a shipment, you can always order a full case from the agency..

There is a very active poster on a wine-oriented board in which I regularly participate who lives in Victoria, BC. He has made us aware of the Canadian regulations that prevent him from enjoying many of the wines that we discuss, On the other hand, we enjoy his reports on BC wines to which we have no access. I trust his palate, and, when he reports that an Okanagan Valley Syrah is excellent, I am a bit disappointed that I will probably never taste it.

You may be surprised to learn that despite our Canadian Constitution stipulating free trade among Provinces, we still have trade barriers that seem to remain unchallenged and one of those is wine.  We don't get a lot of the BC labels here in Ontario - unless you order from winery and have it shipped.  Again, some agencies may bring small amounts in.  We do get some BC wines and they have many good ones.  Similarly, certain Ontario wines are not readily available out there.  It is better than it used to be, but still not open access.  

I have enjoyed our conversation very much, @Steelers36.  ...........................  Maybe someday we will meet on a Princess ship.  I will be happy to share, say, a Carlisle Zinfandel with you, and I look forward to trying a Niagara Icewine.

If I am ever aware of you or another of the oenophiles on here sailing on a voyage with us, I will most certainly bring along some Ontario Icewine.

See above in purple italics.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Do they allow you to bring on extra bottles (other than the two for two passengers in a cabin) at each port?  How would they know if you did brings on your limit at boarding?

Many people do just as you say & bring them additional bottles back at each port. Although they're suppose to turn them in, most just carry them to the cabin to drink. 

I've never paid them a corkage charge. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Do they allow you to bring on extra bottles (other than the two for two passengers in a cabin) at each port?  How would they know if you did brings on your limit at boarding?

The official policy really specifies only the embarkation port.  However, there have been numerous reports here on Cruise Critic that there has been no problem a person to bring on a single bottle of wine when returning to the ship after a port stop.  I, personally, have done so after stops in Alaska, California and Hawaii.  (Tip:  Be very careful of Decoy Merlot being sold in an ABC Store in Honolulu.  I won't make that mistake again.)  I have read numerous reports of people doing so in Europe.

That being said, since the official Princess policy specifies only the embarkation port, it might very well be that ship's policy or the port's policy may not allow it.  I would advise that you go ahead and purchase your wine.  The worst thing that could happen is that it would be confiscated at the security station, but it would be returned to you at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

They do not know.  As reported above, there is really NP bringing on small amount of wine at a port stop.  Especially ones where they know wine tours occurred.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Princess knows as well as we do that at certain ports, especially in Europe, there is duty free after security in the cruise terminal. Last fall in Lisbon on the Regal westbound transatlantic, there was a line twenty people long to check out. My conclusion is that Princess is content to regulate what is consumed in the MDR and prefers not to go overboard trying to regulate what you may consume in your cabin.

Edited by Wehwalt

On 4/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, Ombud said:

The table is sometimes there but they just want to check that it isn't hard liquor or tawny port (yes I got it back at the end)

Why do they not allow tawny port?  We brought a bottle of tawny port onboard in New Zealand and nobody said a thing.

54 minutes ago, HotRoot said:
On 4/28/2024 at 2:09 PM, Ombud said:

The table is sometimes there but they just want to check that it isn't hard liquor or tawny port (yes I got it back at the end)

Why do they not allow tawny port?  We brought a bottle of tawny port onboard in New Zealand and nobody said a thing

Staff at table said fortified isn't allowed but that wasn't in New Zealand