Width of cabin doors

mustgo

As many of us know, handicap cabins are often not available.  We just discovered on the Crown that a mini-suite door was not wide enough for a walker to pass through unless folded.  I am assuming that the opening was 22 inches as I know a scooter width must not be more than 22 inches.  Does anyone know if the door opening are wider on the newer ships?

37 minutes ago, mustgo said:

As many of us know, handicap cabins are often not available.  We just discovered on the Crown that a mini-suite door was not wide enough for a walker to pass through unless folded.  I am assuming that the opening was 22 inches as I know a scooter width must not be more than 22 inches.  Does anyone know if the door opening are wider on the newer ships?

No.  Openings are usually about 23.6" depending on frame style.  As ships are built outside USA that is .6 meter.  Some are +/-580mm.  Depends on the shipyard.

Useable is about 22" with door fully open.

21 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for your answer. Seriously thinking about giving up cruising. We have had a good run

That is sad.  Makes me wonder these steps for you:

1.  Approach cabin door.  Able Person 1 opens door and slightly folds walker to fit through.

2.  Meanwhile, Person 2 (hopefully) can support themselves by hanging onto, or leaning onto, the doorframe.

3.  Person 1 re-opens walker fully on other side of doorway.  And locks the wheels of course.

4.  Person 2 can carefully take hopefully just one step, perhaps with some guidance from Person 1, and grips the walker to regain mobility.

Seems to me this could work, given that Person 1 is ambulatory and not confined to wheelchair.

• Like 1

I've been lucky so far with my CVP, have been able to get an accessible cabin every time so far. Even as far as getting a balcony one for interior price because we wanted an inside cabin.

We just got off Crown, and can attest I saw couple different people getting Off

their Walkers in the hall.... and partially fold the seat part, while then walking their

walker thru the door. 

So it appeared the walker was just alittle too wide for the doorway.

Yes, we did use that system. It was a bit of a hassle.  The walkers often need to be folded and carried in the hallways to pass the steward carts. We have done many cruises and have decided we are just not up for it any more. It was a good run, but now time for a plan B

• Like 1

We were surprised to find in our standard balcony stateroom on embarkation a wheelchair! We fortunately don't require one, but it was easily pushed back out for the steward to take away.

19 hours ago, mustgo said:

Thanks for your answer. Seriously thinking about giving up cruising. We have had a good run

Both my wife and I require the use of scooters.  The ones we have are made by Travelscoot,  www.travelscoot.com  The width is only 21.5" and fits through all standard size stateroom doors.  It is also collapsible and lightweight.  Might be an option for you to consider.  

Very interesting info on the travel scoot. I think that at least for now, we plan to stay home. Dh is 88 and I am close. Yes, I know some cruise into their 90s and we are happy for them but we have lasted longer than many

• Haha 1