Voyager Istanbul Embarkation 8 May 2024 Delayed

Just had an e-mail from Regent delaying embarkation on Voyager due to a number of current passengers suffering from "stomach flu".

Boarding will now not start until at least 1pm, with rooms starting to be ready at 4pm and bags to rooms starting no earlier than 5pm.

2 hours ago, nigelc said:

Just had an e-mail from Regent delaying embarkation on Voyager due to a number of current passengers suffering from "stomach flu".

Boarding will now not start until at least 1pm, with rooms starting to be ready at 4pm and bags to rooms starting no earlier than 5pm.

By my count this makes the fourth Voyager cruise this year impacted by either Noro, Covid, or GI-related maladies plus one delayed by a euphemistically described technical problem.  As I did before on another thread, I wonder how you can maintain a suitably high standard of hygiene consistently with a self-serve buffet, no matter the size of the ship?

For you Regentphiles who dredged up from the archives examples of reports of outbreaks on Oceania's fleet, I noted that those were from 8 or more years ago.  Yes, I will concede that there are incidents from time to time in more recent years, but I would still opt for being served in a buffet line by friendly, attentive, and gloved servers.  I also note that on another thread on this board that a poster contrasted the crowded scene at the dessert counter on Oceania's Vista with a Regent ship.  Having recently completed a second sailing on Vista (our 18th overall on Oceania), I question that characterization and would also point out that Vista has 1250 pax, so almost twice the capacity.

We board Voyager in three weeks with growing trepidation as we could not cancel without forfeiting all monies.  Perhaps our cruise, which is labeled "Elegance of Travel" should be relabeled "Voyage of the Damned?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, redraider1966 said:

We board Voyager in three weeks with growing trepidation as we could not cancel without forfeiting all monies.  Perhaps our cruise, which is labeled "Elegance of Travel" should be relabeled "Voyage of the Damned?"

So sorry that you are approaching your forthcoming cruise expecting the worst.

I hope you have an enjoyable, & uneventful, time on Voyager and I am sure you will be able to find an alternative to the lunch-time buffet if that is what is fuelling your extreme pessimism.

• Like 10

Where are you staying in Istanbul? I have a Navigator cruise booked in early November, staying at Intercontinental and will look for feedback on my choice.

hope they clean everything out so you have a safe journey!

4 hours ago, redraider1966 said:

By my count this makes the fourth Voyager cruise this year impacted by either Noro, Covid, or GI-related maladies plus one delayed by a euphemistically described technical problem.  As I did before on another thread, I wonder how you can maintain a suitably high standard of hygiene consistently with a self-serve buffet, no matter the size of the ship?

For you Regentphiles who dredged up from the archives examples of reports of outbreaks on Oceania's fleet, I noted that those were from 8 or more years ago.  Yes, I will concede that there are incidents from time to time in more recent years, but I would still opt for being served in a buffet line by friendly, attentive, and gloved servers.  I also note that on another thread on this board that a poster contrasted the crowded scene at the dessert counter on Oceania's Vista with a Regent ship.  Having recently completed a second sailing on Vista (our 18th overall on Oceania), I question that characterization and would also point out that Vista has 1250 pax, so almost twice the capacity.

We have done many Regent cruises, and enjoyed most aspects of them. We do, however, avoid buffets whenever possible. I was hoping that after Covid, they would never return to help yourself. It's just never sanitary as people reuse their plates, use their fingers to serve themselves, cough on all of the food, as well as the table cloths at their table, which are quickly reset for the next guests without a change of table cloth or remaining plates and utensils.

Unfortunately, your schedule of excursions gets in the way of meals. I would recommend room service in the morning rather than eating in La Veranda for the breakfast buffet when you have a morning excursion. If you want a lighter meal, the Coffee Connection has great coffee and and a selection of light breakfasts and pastries.

We never eat lunch at the buffet at La Veranda, and I can rarely be forced to eat at Sette Mari for dinner, and eat almost nothing and complain about it when we do. You can avoid the buffet portion of their dinner, but they still serve way more food than I can enjoy eating.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We have done many Regent cruises, and enjoyed most aspects of them.

We have done many Regent cruises, and enjoyed all aspects of them including the lunch self-serve buffets in La Veranda.
The buffet offerings during our recent Navigator cruise, which I believe you were also on, were particularly good.

• Like 5

We love the buffets. Why would someone choose a cruise knowing in advance that they don't like the food protocols and then admitting that once onboard they complain about them?

• Like 4

If you don't like buffet, there are many ways to avoid the buffets

For breakfast order specially made eggs at the center of the buffet and the plate with  be cooked separate and brought to you.  

Check to see if compass rose or prime 7 are open for lunch.

Order from the menu at the Pool Grill.

I am amazed at how quickly they change table clothes in La Veranda, and this is more often than not.

Don't like the large portions, we have been successful in ordering smaller portions, even of the Prime 7 popcorn caramel sundae.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Where are you staying in Istanbul? I have a Navigator cruise booked in early November, staying at Intercontinental and will look for feedback on my choice.

We stayed there for a night post-cruise last year. We liked the hotel. It isn’t walking distance from the tourist areas but there are plenty of taxis. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:52 AM, SWFLAOK said:

We do, however, avoid buffets whenever possible.

If you want a lighter meal, the Coffee Connection has great coffee and and a selection of light breakfasts and pastries.

Yes, Coffee Connection is very popular …………. and is also a self-serve buffet arrangement. 

• Haha 1

I too detest buffets (on land or sea.)  If I can't go to a dining room for breakfast or lunch, I order room service.  

We have done many Regent cruises, and enjoyed most aspects of them. We do, however, avoid buffets whenever possible. I was hoping that after Covid, they would never return to help yourself. It's just never sanitary as people reuse their plates, use their fingers to serve themselves, cough on all of the food, as well as the table cloths at their table, which are quickly reset for the next guests without a change of table cloth or remaining plates and utensils.

Unfortunately, your schedule of excursions gets in the way of meals. I would recommend room service in the morning rather than eating in La Veranda for the breakfast buffet when you have a morning excursion. If you want a lighter meal, the Coffee Connection has great coffee and and a selection of light breakfasts and pastries.

We never eat lunch at the buffet at La Veranda, and I can rarely be forced to eat at Sette Mari for dinner, and eat almost nothing and complain about it when we do. You can avoid the buffet portion of their dinner, but they still serve way more food than I can enjoy eating.

WRT "way more food than I can enjoy eating" - you can simply ask them not to bring the bread/antipasti items when you first sit down.  If you feel that the entrees are too large you can request a half-portion and they will happily comply.

Half portions are me! Have done exactly that in Sette Mare and in some of the other restaurants.

No one if forcing anyone to eat anything they don't want. As KJ mentions, just ask for the servers to hold the antipasto  treats pre meal and pass on the extras from the buffet. John and I recently shared the veal chop there.....delish! 

We just got off the Voyager in Istanbul and La Veranda and the Coffee Connection are (for the moment) no longer self service. The staff worked extremely hard, they really do everything to keep the cabins and restaurants clean. 

We didn't like Istanbul at all by the way. It might have been better with a local guide, but we decided to explore the city on our own. It's really one big tourist trap, especially the old town. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 7:46 PM, CardowMD said:

We sailed on the Navigator last year out of Istanbul and they booked us at the Intercontinental. We love Istanbul and arrived 2 days earlier. Nice hotel, breakfast buffet was very nice, coffee great. We had one dinner at their roof top restaurant. Nice views. Food good. Pricey as all hotel dining are. The hotel is not in the center of town. But taxis can be called from the concierge. We walked several blocks to a large square and found the "hop on, hop off bus". Enjoyed the bus traveling through the city (we try to do this in every city we go to). 

Our concierge recommended a restaurant about 5 minutes by taxi and the restaurant called a taxi to return us to the hotel. The restaurant was truly Turkish and wonderful and 1/3 the price of the hotel dining room. 

If you booked this hotel through Regent, the tour rep at the hotel is not too good at giving instructions. On the last evening there is a free wine & tapas event in the breakfast room for Regent guests. We found out by accident at the concierge when requesting a taxi. 

• Like 1

@zak477 Thank you for the feedback. Planning some tours thru Viatour, but wasn’t aware of the HOHO bus! That sounds perfect for my first afternoon! I am sure I will be jet lagged, but can sit and appreciate the view for a couple of hours. Not sure the wine reception is available if not booking the hotel thru RSSC, but will investigate! I will look into alternate dining venues, but the IC rooftop bar also serves light fare that may work for me.

• Like 2

I found the crowds in Istanbul to be daunting.  We walked and used the trolly but getting the tickets was difficult as all instructions were in Turkish.  Don’t miss the cisterns.  Really remarkable.  Also, we found a Turkish bath that welcomed both men and women and this was the highlight of our stay in Istanbul.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Didogaribaldi said:

We just got off the Voyager in Istanbul and La Veranda and the Coffee Connection are (for the moment) no longer self service. The staff worked extremely hard, they really do everything to keep the cabins and restaurants clean. 

It's likely the reported G-I cases that forced a delay in boarding of the subsequent cruise were the explanation for this most recent pause on self service in La Veranda and Coffee Connection.  We're waiting to see if the current 7-day cruise or the following cruise prior to our boarding in Valletta sees more impositions of Code Red or worse . . . .