Where are all the "regular folks"?

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think that is the crux of the matter for us. We like to sail 4-5 times a year and it just doesn't make sense in terms of bang for our buck to do that in the YC versus a regular balcony with drinks & wifi included.

This is what I plan to do for an April 2025 cruise if there's a memorial day sale.  Not thrilled about losing a yc deposit....(Jan in yc...not for us, we like the pool deck).  There's an angled balcony that I have my eye on!

On 5/8/2024 at 12:30 PM, yogimax said:

Yet, four out of the top 7 topics deal with the Yacht Club.  That's 57%

The OP has a valid point.  I feel the same way.  The implication on this board is that MSC is all about the Yacht Club.

Feel free to skip the threads which do not interest you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've not done YC.  I can afford it, but choose not to.  Maybe some day I'll give it a try.  While it seems to be a better value versus other cruise lines' suites, here's my attitude.

1. It's considerably more expensive.  For example, on an upcoming Norwegian Fjords cruise, the price of YC deluxe is roughly 3.5 times the price of my Fantastica veranda.  Do you get more?  Of course.  3.5 x more?  Doesn't seem that way.

2. Not only do I not want a butler, but I think I'd find them to be annoying.

3. Obviously, an upgraded dining experience is nice, but 3.5 times nice?  To some, sure.  To me, probably not.  That said, on a recent cruise, we got 4 speciality restaurants for $100 USD per person.  3 of the 4 were part of a $200 package.  The 4th (2nd in Butcher's Cut) was a loyalty reward for being a Diamond member.  So 4 of 7 nights in a specialty restaurant for $100 each?  I consider that to be a great value.

4. I do like some of the privacy of YC, but again at 3.5 times the price?  Nah.

5. I don't like the fact that YC deposits are typically non-refundable.  While I don't book with the intent of cancelling, non-YC cabins can typically be cancelled without penalty up to 90 days before the sailing.  Not the case w/YC.

I also don't fly first or business class.  I'd love to do it.  I can afford to do it.  I simply don't want to spend the money.

Nothing wrong w/YC.  I'll try it one day.  But for now, you'll find me in a Fantastica veranda, or perhaps an Aurea suite, but only if the price is right.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 3

On 5/9/2024 at 7:10 PM, codingmunkey said:

My experience is YC folks are pretty snotty honestly, I met one couple that was nice.  And before people attack me, I am speaking from MY experience only and that experience has been YC people are absolutely the entitled types.

I understand and respect that that is your experience.

Our experience is different. We have only met nice people in the YC but outside people are often loud and rude.

I guess that people outside the YC sometimes feel that the YC people act entitled when they actually ARE entitled, for example when cutting line at security. It's not rude to cut the line when you are allowed to do it. If someone has paid to skip the line they are allowed to do it without getting rude comments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:27 PM, alserrod said:

I will be in Fantastica too.

I will write my lines post-cruise (not in the cruise, I will switch off for a week).

The issue is.... I do not know what to write and what not to write because ports of call are absolutely different on which everybody seems to be interested (I have read about cruising from Athens and in Northern Europe but nobody has written about Western Mediterranean) and I could upload MDR menus, daily programs and so but.... I think they will not be in English.

Nevertheless.... I will try to write about an experience in another recent ship of MSC

No, please write about the ports.  It is why I cruise primarily.  Yes, I do YC because I like it BUT the cruises moving forward we are picking for the ports.  Most of the postings here focus on food, service, tipping.  Not many on excursions and almost none on DIY or various ports in a review.  I think someone did one for the Divina TA crossing which was really interesting with photos and descriptions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I've not done YC.  I can afford it, but choose not to.  Maybe some day I'll give it a try.  While it seems to be a better value versus other cruise lines' suites, here's my attitude.

1. It's considerably more expensive.  For example, on an upcoming Norwegian Fjords cruise, the price of YC deluxe is roughly 3.5 times the price of my Fantastica veranda.  Do you get more?  Of course.  3.5 x more?  Doesn't seem that way.

3. Obviously, an upgraded dining experience is nice, but 3.5 times nice?  To some, sure.  To me, probably not.  That said, on a recent cruise, we got 4 speciality restaurants for $100 USD per person.  3 of the 4 were part of a $200 package.  The 4th (2nd in Butcher's Cut) was a loyalty reward for being a Diamond member.  So 4 of 7 nights in a specialty restaurant for $100 each?  I consider that to be a great value.

5. I don't like the fact that YC deposits are typically non-refundable.  While I don't book with the intent of cancelling, non-YC cabins can typically be cancelled without penalty up to 90 days before the sailing.  Not the case w/YC.

I also don't fly first or business class.  I'd love to do it.  I can afford to do it.  I simply don't want to spend the money.

Nothing wrong w/YC.  I'll try it one day.  But for now, you'll find me in a Fantastica veranda, or perhaps an Aurea suite, but only if the price is right.

The YC deposits are refundable up to 90 days out.

On 5/9/2024 at 10:00 AM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I have attempted to keep this trip as inexpensive as possible.  We booked a Bella experience with an inside cabin.  We were given a free upgrade to a balcony, which makes us very happy.  We're still Bella, though and we very much have a budget for this trip.

I'll write a review for the "regular folks when I get back.  Our favorite line is NCL, with Royal as second.  This is the first trip on MSC.

We went from the YC to an inside on NCL spirit for a cruise from Sydney to Tahiti last month.  One of my favorite cruises ever because of the ports.  We were NEVER in our cabin.  Only had 1x a day cleaning.  Ate in the buffet.  Stood in lines everywhere.  We did not care.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

The YC deposits are refundable up to 90 days out.

No....not refundable.  You can transfer the booking, the date being 90 days past the original date.  But once you pay a deposit for a yc cabin, it's gone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

No....not refundable.  You can transfer the booking, the date being 90 days past the original date.  But once you pay a deposit for a yc cabin, it's gone.

Absolutely.  But someone reported a somewhat convoluted method to beat the system.  They rescheduled the cruise forward for the time required,  but in a non-YC cabin.  They then cancelled that cruise for a refund.  EM

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I would double check this statement.

Just did it and got my deposit back last month for a November sailing for YC.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As I told Morpheus, I just did it a month ago.  

Edited to add, the company would not allow me to move my YC booking backwards (sailing 7 days prior).  Must be 30 days forward.

Also want to add I have cancelled 3 sailings and received all deposits.  2 were YC.  One was 2019 for Bella.  All were over 90 days.

Edited by jean87510

We are all “regular folk”. We are just at different stages in life. We got to this stage (final) after 50 years of cruising 2 lowers on inside cabins. We took all the bus tours, then as we repeated favorite destinations we would do longer pre and post packages. Get private cars and chauffeurs from the hotels and cruise lines. Then even hired the same tour guides we had from the bus tours to guide us in places like Beijing when we returned. Got their phone numbers and prearranged meeting at White Swan hotel where cruise line put us up.

Now we no longer fly to exotic places and the new ships are our destination. Luxury accommodations and services and food cooked to order are what we want. If we do not spend what we have worked so hard to accumulate, our heirs will.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Edited to add, the company would not allow me to move my YC booking backwards (sailing 7 days prior).  Must be 30 days forward.

Also want to add I have cancelled 3 sailings and received all deposits.  2 were YC.  One was 2019 for Bella.  All were over 90 days.

Did you book directly with MSC or a TA?

I had an Oct cruise booked, moved it to Jan.  Now Jan is out of the question....

I just sent TA an e-mail, asking to check.

ETA

I just called MSC...and she said I could move the date again...but with a fee.  They can't tell me the fee until I book.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

How can you accomplish this, while the rest of us cannot? Were these deposits with 60days on a credit card charge back?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"If we do not spend what we have worked so hard to accumulate, our heirs will."

By the way, in case you were wondering, that's why I haven't bothered to ask you and Mrs. Morpheus to adopt me.

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I called MSC twice.  They confirmed...I can "move again"...within 90 days forward of current booking, to any cabin (YC or non-YC) with a fee.  Of course, the fee may be the size of the deposit...and they can't tell me until I book!

Just waiting to hear back from TA.

If allowable, I'm gonna book "with the masses".  

On 5/8/2024 at 9:54 AM, hapytobehr said:

I have been on MSC in both the yacht club and with the "regular" folks.

I will say, there is NOTHING like the yacht club experience. 

However, we enjoyed our time with the "regular" folks but have another booked in the Yacht club for Halloween because we loved the experience!

Just remember, a cruise is what YOU make it.

Enjoy!

What she says!

We are not rich, live within our means.

My wife insisted on bidding on YC.

I was like “Seriously? A butler?”

Well hold and behold, i will always do it now.

Yacht club is amazing!!!

Pat and Kris

• Like 6

On 5/9/2024 at 12:10 PM, codingmunkey said:

The regular folks don't post as much because we don't have the flex to show off.  My experience is YC folks are pretty snotty honestly, I met one couple that was nice.  And before people attack me, I am speaking from MY experience only and that experience has been YC people are absolutely the entitled types.

I won’t attack you, just my opinion too.

I had never done anything like a yacht club upgrade before.

My wife insisted as we are getting older and experience it. I honestly got pissed a little at the idea.

I m a courier for a living, my wife a retired grocery store manager, no Rolex and Chanel folks.

I never thought i would enjoy it so much.

People were real nice. Young, old, rich, not so rich, nobody snubbed us.

I m actually changing my home spending on ridiculous things to go back to yacht club every time.

Thxs

Pat and Kris

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I guess my travel agent (My wife-Not an agent, she just do all this) has better rates than you.

YC cost us less than 20% more than a regular balcony room for 20x more service.

But to each his/her own

Thxs 🍻

Pat

Edited by vaindioux
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, vaindioux said:

I guess my travel agent (My wife-Not an agent, she just do all this) has better rates than you.

YC cost us less than 20% more than a regular balcony room for 20x more service.

But to each his/her own

Thxs 🍻

Pat

For 20% more, I'd do YC.  For 350% more, nope.

P.S. Are you able to specifically show me *any* YC Deluxe cabin for only 20% more than a Fantastica veranda?  If so, please provide the information, obviously without mentioning any travel agency.

Somehow, I doubt it, but I'd love to see it.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

I'm regular folk. I have sailed MSC 5 times, never in YC. Never even considered it. I'm not the kind of person that would not enjoy that experience, I don't like been fussed on.

First time we sailed MSC they had just started sailing in the USA and we did aurea. At that time it came with more perks. Second time we went fantasia because aurea had lost some of the perks. When we sailed last month we originally had fantasia, but we bid on and won an upgrade to aurea. Best money we ever spent. Reason for us was the anytime dining. We enjoy.sailing NCL because of the anytime dining. Dining time is important to us, and having the freedom to dine whenever is important to us. Going forward we will book aurea every time. 

I understand some people love the YC and that fine, to each there own. For me I just don't see the benefits, while I understand and respect the people that do see the benefits. To each there own. 

But all said and done, I love MSC and how much they have evolved and adapted to the US market, they are my favorite line. They seem to get better every year. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

For 20% more, I'd do YC.  For 350% more, nope.

P.S. Are you able to specifically show me *any* YC Deluxe cabin for only 20% more than a Fantastica veranda?  If so, please provide the information, obviously without mentioning any travel agency.

Somehow, I doubt it, but I'd love to see it.

First i m not going to post any detailed info here.

There is another thread going on right now, i thinks it’s titled something like “YC from balconies” that mentions upgrades to IYC are not that high.

we had a balcony and upgraded to IYC for not that much.

I m not sure what a Deluxe cabin is.

I would never pay the rates you mention.

we like the balcony when we arrive or leave port otherwise we are never on it.

We do sleep better in interior cabins too.

Pat

Edited by vaindioux
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I looked on MSCs Swedish site.

One week on MSC World Europa in July next year, for two:

Fantastica balcony 3350 USD

Aurea balcony 3860 USD

Yacht Club deluxe 7440 USD

Edited by sverigecruiser