e Fleet Report and Daily for Friday May 10th, 2024

It's been an interesting few days in Colorado, so far. On the way home from the 5th grade band concert last night, the snow started falling. This morning it continued and finally stopped after about 12-14 inches. The power went out about 8:30 am and came back on about 6 pm. Interesting trying to keep the boys (9 & 11) entertained-dominos and a puzzle helped. We made great toasted cheese sandwiches on top of the wood stove. Of course at home, near Seattle, it was supposed to reach 80 degrees. Not sure what tomorrow is going to bring! Heading home on Tuesday. Take care everyone.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good afternoon!  We made it to our hotel in Plantation before 3 pm and returned the car a short walk away from the hotel.  We had quite a bit of thunderstorms in south Georgia and then managed to stay ahead of them as storms moved from the panhandle to Jacksonville.  We drove past Ann's exit #278 at about 9:30 am.  A very long 650 mile journey.

At the hotel there is a new owner and some things are in a bit of turmoil.  The shuttle service to the cruise terminals is out of service for a few days because someone forgot to renew the license, so the county shut them down.  Our bad luck!  Trying to find a ride via other shuttle services right now.  The down button on our floor's elevators doesn't work either so that will mean extra riding up and down tomorrow morning.  Too bad this place is convenient to the car drop off place because I would have to consider another place to stay in this particular spot next time.  By the way, we've never used Uber or Lyft because they haven't had the service in our county and we never had occasion to use that type of service.  We have someone who does airport runs as a side job, and he's very reliable.

Thank you to everyone who worried and wished us well on our journey.  This is such a supportive place.

Well, I mentioned I'd try to post the Sydney photos this afternoon. Let's see if this will work while away from home.  This keyboard on DH's device is so small it's difficult for me to use so hope it doesn't take lots of extra time each day.

We’ve visited Sydney, Nova Scotia twice, on Rotterdam in October 2018 and on Zaandam in August 2023.

In October, 2018 on our Canada/New England/Atlantic Coast cruise we began in Montreal and ended in Tampa.  The day before Sydney we had to miss Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island due to wind gusts up to 86 mph.  That was a major disappointment to us.  I was really looking forward to that port.  But we were grateful to make our stop in Sydney.  The weather was sunny and cold with brisk winds but we dressed warmly and headed off the ship for our exploration of this new port (for us).

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

The famous Big Fiddle, a welcoming monument on the dock.  There is a market located nearby for vendors and craftsmen in the area to sell their wares.

We first stopped in at the St. Patrick's Church Museum which had cool timber framing inside.

Then down the street was this unique building which I believe is a store now.

We spied this duck boat called Harbour Hopper taking people on rides around the area.  For some reason that does not appeal to me.  I'm a little wary of them.

Then there is this monument overlooking the water.  It recognizes wartime contributions of the merchant navy.

On our way back to the ship we ran across this man who wanted to show off his 1968 hand painted Cadillac.  He said it had only 26,000 miles on it and got 1 mile per gallon of gasoline.  No wonder it only had 26,000 miles on the odometer!  You can't afford the gas to drive it anywhere.

We enjoyed our time in Sydney walking around the town.  All in all, a very nice day! 

On our second trip there we were on our Canada, Greenland, Iceland cruise on Zaandam.  This took place in August so different weather than our first time there. We set out looking for a dollar store to pick up small items we needed, but were unsuccessful. 

Great photos Sandi.

I'm pleased to hear you are at your hotel and hope you can get the transfer to the Zuiderdam okay today.

Best wishes and Bon Voyage to you both.

Screenshot_20240508_214923.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Northern Lights from the Westerdam en route to Victoria.  Quite a night.  DH has better photos on his camera, but he’s asleep now.  I’m too wound up to sleep.

IMG_0719.jpeg.2aa701d35e9f0702dd44536233ff838b.jpeg

Thanks for the great picture.  We're too far south plus too many clouds to be able to see them.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Northern Lights from the Westerdam en route to Victoria.  Quite a night.  DH has better photos on his camera, but he’s asleep now.  I’m too wound up to sleep.

IMG_0719.jpeg.2aa701d35e9f0702dd44536233ff838b.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

@Quartzsite Cruiser thanks for the info and photos of the sunspots!  Wow!  

@marshhawk take good care of you! 

@Niagarawine it is SO beautiful!   We found lots of great hotels nearer to Vancouver  airport.    Maybe that area is worth trying or downtown, the Coast Coal Harbour by APA was great.  But Vancouver is very pricey! 

@AncientWanderer  it is so exciting!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1