Taking Food OFF the Ship

puzzums

So, bringing food aboard was just covered in a recent post, but how about taking food OFF the ship?  One of our excursions in Alaska provides a snack that is salmon based.  I am allergic to fish so thought I’d throw a muffin and an apple, or something like that, from the buffet into a ziploc bag and bring it along.  Is that allowed?

Posted (edited)

There have been several posts about this.  It is forbidden to take food off the ship.  Especially things like muffins and fruit from the buffet.  I would pack some granola bars that are commercially packaged and bring them from home.

Produce is at the top of the prohibited list for transport between countries and even from one state or province to another in some cases.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, puzzums said:

So, bringing food aboard was just covered in a recent post, but how about taking food OFF the ship?  One of our excursions in Alaska provides a snack that is salmon based.  I am allergic to fish so thought I’d throw a muffin and an apple, or something like that, from the buffet into a ziploc bag and bring it along.  Is that allowed?

In most places, including US ports the answer would be no as far as muffins or especially fruit.

Only packaged items.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, puzzums said:

I have yet to see where you can take food from the ship onshore.  Whether you get caught or not is anyone’s guess.  You are ok bringing commercially packaged and sealed food from home on excursions without a problem, though.  Take a granola bar or packaged nuts and you will be ok.  

• Like 2

Also check with your excursion vendor to see if they will have an alternative menu for you.  I am sure they will accommodate something vegan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puzzums said:

No. 

For sure, there will be numerous reminders and announcements that food is not to be taken off ship in the ports you visit on your Alaska cruise.  These will be on your daily printed one-sheet of events, along with notifications that may appear on the Princess app, and I'm certain I've seen the reminder cycle through the material that is on the touch screens in elevator lobbies and public areas the day of a port stop.  I've read a number of threads here of folks taking food off without issue, however, there are laws against it; it is your neck, or rather a large fine, and you never know when you'll be inspected in port as you get off the ship.

We bring on board a couple of boxes of packaged snacks just for this reason.  We keep them in a daypack and they are with us when we go off the ship.  If we are feeling peckish or need a boost and there is no food around or we don't like our options, then we hit the snacks we brought along.  Also great for long excursions where the snack and food option isn't to our liking or really is insufficient.

I'm glad you are looking ahead and attempting to prepare.  First off, this is a vacation, so don't over pack and don't over plan.  The goal is to have just enough of everything you need to live without being overburdened with luggage and stuff to keep track of.  And remember, this is a vacation, not an exploration expedition, you are going to be well fed by the cruise line, you don't need to bring your own food.  For those long excursion days, I'd recommend having a hearty breakfast in the morning on board, maybe something heavier than you are used to, and then head out on your excursions with the plan to get lunch as soon as the excursion ends.  I'm also assuming that you have a morning excursion that will let you get free around lunch.

For the snacks you do bring on board, I like some granola bars, some protein bars are great, plus they make you feel full pretty fast, and maybe some carbs, like individual pouches of goldfish crackers; they are tidy, don't make a mess of your hands.

This is all just food for thought.

Don't forget nuts.  Good source of protein and easy to eat.  You can take off a bottle of water or a refillable container.  No coffee off the ship.

• Like 2

Last cruise we'd swing by the International Cafe the night before port day and get a sandwich. Then bring it for lunch in a ziplock bag. Is it allowed? No! I rented a car at most of the ports and we did our own thing so it was much more convenient this way.

• Thanks 1

No, it will have meat (a prohibited item).  Only pre-packaged foods are allowed off the ship.  Will you be stopped?  maybe/maybe not.  

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

No, it will have meat (a prohibited item).  Only pre-packaged foods are allowed off the ship.  Will you be stopped?  maybe/maybe not.  

In some ports you may actually be detained. There are good and drug dogs in many ports

• Like 4

Just now, memoak said:

In some ports you may actually be detained. There are good and drug dogs in many ports

One of my favorite past times in Ensenada is to stand on the Promenade Deck and watch passengers go to town for the day.

Once I saw a lady get stopped by a dog.  She had fruit in her bag.  She gave one up and proceeded to continue.  Dog stopped her AGAIN.

Once I saw a passenger voluntarily give up food to security.  The next person did an "adjustment dance" thinking they could just continue by.  Nope...stopped too.

Love the dog.  So entertaining.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 5/15/2024 at 3:41 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I tested them our last time in Cozumel with an orange peal wrapped in a napkin and breezed right by. 

As you say sometimes they stop you, sometimes not.