Dress Code

The better place to ask this is on the Celebrity board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

I am sure there will be dozens of dress code threads there. I expect this will be moved over there.

Will you have problems abiding by the dress code? What kind of sandals? Flip flops? Probably not allowed. 

• Like 1

By all means, check the Celebrity board, where this thread belongs. In the mean time, sandals for ladies are certainly allowed in the MDR. Flip flops are not.

• Thanks 1

Celebrity cruises can be a bit dressier in the evenings, especially for the main dining room. I wouldn't risk flip flops, but nicer sandals might be okay depending on the style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bimbo123 said:

Is the Celebrity Reflection strict on the dress code in the dining room, i.e., not wearing sandals?

Hello @bimbo123

Thank you for your new topic on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry concerns a specific cruise line ship and is off topic here.

To help you out your new topic/thread has been moved to the Celebrity Cruises forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed Celebrity Reflection frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Posted (edited)

I have worn flip flops but not the Dollar Tree ones (they hurt my feet!). Usually something like Yellow Box or other bedazzled pairs.

Last cruise on the Reflection, people were wearing shorts and hats (cowboy, baseball, whatever) into the MDR, so if someone comments on my feet, we'll have a conversation.

Edited by hrhdhd

18 hours ago, DeclanAllen said:

Celebrity cruises can be a bit dressier in the evenings, especially for the main dining room. I wouldn't risk flip flops, but nicer sandals might be okay depending on the style.

Although two years ago we noticed a couple of guys in shorts in the MDR for dinner.  I will say they were the nicer dressy style shorts but still...

Posted (edited)

There is a distinction between "can" and "should" for things like the Celebrity (or any) dress code.  "Can I wear sandals?" vs "Should I wear sandals?".

IOW, very few times will a Celebrity employee tell you that what you are wearing is inappropriate, but that's not necessarily confirmation that it isn't, in fact, inappropriate.  

If you are thinking your sandals might be inappropriate, it is quite possible they ARE inappropriate and you could err on the side of caution and choose different shoes.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

22 hours ago, bimbo123 said:

Is the Celebrity Reflection strict on the dress code in the dining room, i.e., not wearing sandals?

Why, just why!!

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Although two years ago we noticed a couple of guys in shorts in the MDR for dinner.  I will say they were the nicer dressy style shorts but still...

That was 2 years ago. More recently we have noticed that the rules are being enforced in the evenings.

19 minutes ago, Liao said:

Why, just why!!

Their cruise line, their rules.

Dinner or “smart casual” attire

If you’re having dinner in the main restaurant or any meal at one of the specialty restaurants, you’ll follow a “smart casual” dress code on most nights. This means long pants, jeans, a dress or skirt, a stylish top, or a button-down.

We want our guests to feel comfortable, so Celebrity Cruises’ dress code for smart casual is fairly flexible, though there are some restrictions. T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not permitted during the evening hours.

The smart casual dress code works for all areas of the ship in the evening, including in bars and lounges and during shows and events at the ship’s theater.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

That was 2 years ago. More recently we have noticed that the rules are being enforced in the evenings.

Their cruise line, their rules.

Dinner or “smart casual” attire

If you’re having dinner in the main restaurant or any meal at one of the specialty restaurants, you’ll follow a “smart casual” dress code on most nights. This means long pants, jeans, a dress or skirt, a stylish top, or a button-down.

We want our guests to feel comfortable, so Celebrity Cruises’ dress code for smart casual is fairly flexible, though there are some restrictions. T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not permitted during the evening hours.

The smart casual dress code works for all areas of the ship in the evening, including in bars and lounges and during shows and events at the ship’s theater.

Preaching to the choir, I know that.

49 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Preaching to the choir, I know that.

I wasn’t preaching to anyone.

And that response was to Liao's question of why?

To the OP:

Sandals are fine. Flip flops are not. There have been 20 page threads on this board arguing about whether a specific sandal was or was not a flip flop.

The dress code allows significant leeway and presents some glaring ambiguity. When does a sandal become a flip flop? Is it a sleeveless blouse or a tank top? These are doctrinal matters that must be defended vigorously at least once every thirty days. More often if possible. And then there's always the nuance, like does "smart casual dress code works" in bars, lounges, and the theater mean it's actually required? And aren't swimsuits more or less prohibited (without coverups) in the OVC, not just the main restaurant? Or is that only wet swimsuits? Baseball caps are specifically banned, but what about a Trilby or Fedora? Cowboy hats aren't specifically prohibited but there aren't many people who wear them regularly who'd wear them indoors. Unless they're in the band.

Dress codes are so much fun. Dress code threads are even better...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ok - I'll ask it.  Has anyone seen jogging or walking shoes (tennis shoes) in the MDR on chic night?  I've seen them in photos on other nights, but I haven't found photos where I can see shoes on dress up nights.  It looks like it's within the rules someone posted above.

1 minute ago, TGfromTX said:

Ok - I'll ask it.  Has anyone seen jogging or walking shoes (tennis shoes) in the MDR on chic night?  I've seen them in photos on other nights, but I haven't found photos where I can see shoes on dress up nights.  It looks like it's within the rules someone posted above.

They are acceptable to wear in the MDR, no matter what the evening is called. 

13 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Yes I've seen that. I almost wore mine last cruise because I had a sore foot but my flat sandals worked. Turns out I had a broken bone in my foot. 

On 5/14/2024 at 9:04 AM, bimbo123 said:

I will chime in with this as did happen on our last X cruise.  First night someone was in MDR in tshirt and jeans and the rest of the cruise they were spot on with the dress code.  Now before everyone sucks all the oxygen out of the room, this was a very nice tshirt with a small business logo and very clean very nice looking jeans.  We ended up having drinks with them later on the cruise and turned out their luggage never made it to the room until sometime after dinner.

Other cruises on other lines I have seen people in polos and nice jeans the last night because they did not plan too well.  Everything was packed before dinner and sitting in the hall way and that is what they had left.

I always plan on what I wear the last night, unless it is formal night which normally isn't done, that is what I wear the next day to disembark.

3 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

First night someone was in MDR in tshirt and jeans and the rest of the cruise they were spot on with the dress code.

First night I always wear shorts and a golf style shirt in the MDR in the evening. No sandals or flip flops for me. I hate them and never wear them.  I wear Vans with shorts. The rest of the cruise in the MDR in the evening I always wear dockers, golf style shirt and shoes. No matter what the evening is called. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Can you get away with khaki pants and polo shirts every night? Or does shirt have to long sleeve?

Khaki pants and polo/golf shirts are acceptable all evenings. Long sleeve shirts are not required. Personal preference. 

Edited by doghog
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Can you get away with khaki pants and polo shirts every night? Or does shirt have to long sleeve?

Polo & Khaki meets the requirement.  You will be fine with that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Other cruises on other lines I have seen people in polos and nice jeans the last night because they did not plan too well.  Everything was packed before dinner and sitting in the hall way and that is what they had left.

Jeans are acceptable every night. They planned fine.

6 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

I don't usually wear them as they're heavy to pack and can be hot in the Caribbean, but they're likely to be my evening wear in Alaska later this month.