Copenhagen Airport Departure @ 9:40 a.m. ???

MJN1

With the S Dawn scheduled to arrive at 7:00 on a Thursday morning, our best flight connection would be a 9:40 a.m. departure (LH to FRA in Business). Is this a) stupid/forget it, b) possible with a stress factor of 8 on a 10pt scale or c) manageable (take the bags yourself, pre-order a taxi)?

We are arriving in Copenhagen at 7 am on a Wednesday morning, but talking with my travel agent at our earliest flight, she advised nothing before noon.  We're going back to Canada, so different place to return to, but we plan on taking our own bags ashore and have booked transportation for pick up.  Yes the airport is not far, but there's customs to deal with once the ship docks so you can't get off till they clear the ship, there's possible traffic on the way to the airport, there's security to check through at the airport, sometimes you sail through, sometimes not, there's the fact the gate may be quite a walk, and that you usually board 30 mins before the flight at least.  So, I'd say the same as lincslady a) not exactly stupid, but wishful thinking.

Do you enjoy having to make alternative flight arrangements when you miss your departure?

Further consideration -- what is the value of your ticket when you are a no-show?

Final consideration -- what price are you willing to pay for new last minute transportation tickets from CPH to your final airport?

In other words - don't do it.

• Like 4

Now, just to be clear.  This flight is one that you can book, and you may make.  What this comes down to is a simple cost/benefit analysis.

What you need to consider is what are the costs involved IF you miss your flight.  It's not just a simple matter of "well, I'll take the next one".  You may lose value for the no-show ticket.  You may need to buy a new ticket.  The price for that may be significantly different from what you pay now.  There may or may not be later availability.

Now, it is up to YOUR own value judgment as to whether those potential downsides are offset by the benefits of buying the early ticket.

TANSTAAFL

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

(a)   Not exactly stupid ,but I fear wishful thinking.

Hi, I agree with Lola.....much too early actually. And what if something happens and the ship is late? 

Book an afternoon flight home and leave all that stress behind.

This will be very very stressful - why end your vacation under such pressure?  A 700AM arrival does not mean that the ship will be cleared at 700AM; it could talk 30 to 60 minutes for the agents to come aboard and then formalities need to be completed.  CPH is a ride from the cruise ship terminal and, if I remember, the taxi must go through the downtown in order to reach the airport (its not a highway drive).  And, European airports are going to be super busy this summer - just look at the number of flights being added. I would look for other options.  A long line at immigration or security could cause a missed flight.  Rebooking during the peak travel periods can be so difficult - finding 2 biz class seats at the last minute could be a big challenge.  I do understand that later flight options our of CPH are limited (most of the Star Alliance flights leave their respective hubs by noon requiring an early connecting fight) - why not spend a night in Copenhagen and fly out the next morning?

12 hours ago, MJN1 said:

With the S Dawn scheduled to arrive at 7:00 on a Thursday morning, our best flight connection would be a 9:40 a.m. departure (LH to FRA in Business). Is this a) stupid/forget it, b) possible with a stress factor of 8 on a 10pt scale or c) manageable (take the bags yourself, pre-order a taxi)?

Sounds like a golden opportunity for any adrenaline junky to savour every last moment of their holiday with a race and a chase against a deadline. If you enjoy the thrill of the race and don’t mind having to pay twice for your flights then go for it. Otherwise, enjoy a nice breakfast, a leisurely transfer and a flight you’re likely to make. 

• Like 1

There are 2 non stop LH flights in the early afternoon on Thursdays. Much better options than an early flight that you might miss.

16 hours ago, MJN1 said:

Not a cat in Hell's chance. 

OK, got it... Thanks to everyone for confirming my initial sequence of options.

Tickets are fully refundable so that is not the issue. We didn't (and don't) like the afternoon flights as they add 3hours hanging around at CPH after disembaraktion and then another 3h in FRA.

So we decided to take the 9:40 a.m. flight the next day and will stay overnight. Copenhagen is always an enjoyable city!

TIAABOTSMM (There is always a better option to spend more money)

• Like 8

11 hours ago, MJN1 said:

OK, got it... Thanks to everyone for confirming my initial sequence of options.

Tickets are fully refundable so that is not the issue. We didn't (and don't) like the afternoon flights as they add 3hours hanging around at CPH after disembaraktion and then another 3h in FRA.

So we decided to take the 9:40 a.m. flight the next day and will stay overnight. Copenhagen is always an enjoyable city!

TIAABOTSMM (There is always a better option to spend more money)

That is what I was going to suggest - Copenhagen is a nice place to hang out for a day and relax.