Invisible Bed Bugs?!

Changing tack a little here, has anyone ever been bitten by kangaroo ticks?  One of our daughters used to train in archery with a club out in the bush.  On a particularly warm summer day, I stupidly once wore a dress to watch her - not a good idea at all.  I didn't notice until hours later but my lower body was acting as host for dozens of roo ticks, they even crawled up my body and beneath my underwear.  I have never felt so itchy and sick in my life!  Took hours to get rid of the little buggers with Grumpy heating needles and removing them one by one.  To add insult to injury, he accidentally severed a mandible which became infected requiring topical and oral antibiotics and has left a rather impressive scar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Changing tack a little here, has anyone ever been bitten by kangaroo ticks?  One of our daughters used to train in archery with a club out in the bush.  On a particularly warm summer day, I stupidly once wore a dress to watch her - not a good idea at all.  I didn't notice until hours later but my lower body was acting as host for dozens of roo ticks, they even crawled up my body and beneath my underwear.  I have never felt so itchy and sick in my life!  Took hours to get rid of the little buggers with Grumpy heating needles and removing them one by one.  To add insult to injury, he accidentally severed a mandible which became infected requiring topical and oral antibiotics and has left a rather impressive scar.

I have never heard of kangaroo ticks. The worst bites I have had were sandfly. Rob and I mowed the family's block of land one evening after work. I was covered in these bites, all over my body, legs and face, even on my head (i don't even get bitten by mosquitos). The next day at work I was sent off to the company's doctor and then off to a pharmacy and home. I was off work for a couple of days until the antihistamines worked and I looked more presentable. Never had a sandfly bite since. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of bed bugs on cruise ships.  However, we were badly bitten in accommodation overlooking the Mediterranean.  We were travelling with a friend's mother from Rome.  When the owners discovered we were foreign, they tried to cancel our booking.  However, We insisted they honour our booking.  Not a smart move, because I suspect they knew about the bed bugs.  Our friend from Rome's room had no bed bugs.  I was told to always check the mattress protector, which will have blood spots, if there are bed bugs. 

That was nasty of them. Did you at least get a refund? 

Edited by ilikeanswers

I got bitten by bed bugs on the old Pacific Jewel.  As I have done around 30 cruises and it was the only time, consider myself lucky to have avoided them on other cruises.  After that I used to travel with a can of Mortein and spray the whole bed before I would get in it.  Didn't improve the smell and the sheets would be damp.   

With people travelling from all over the world and staying in various hotels in various countries they are to be expected.  A bit of sympathy (and truth) from the cruise line wouldn't go astray.

On the other hand I have caught influenza twice and covid 4 times while cruising so I just accept if I want to cruise then these are the risks.  Must admit I tend to do longer cruises so catching viruses is one of the disadvantages.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I have never heard of kangaroo ticks. The worst bites I have had were sandfly. Rob and I mowed the family's block of land one evening after work. I was covered in these bites, all over my body, legs and face, even on my head (i don't even get bitten by mosquitos). The next day at work I was sent off to the company's doctor and then off to a pharmacy and home. I was off work for a couple of days until the antihistamines worked and I looked more presentable. Never had a sandfly bite since. 

Ooh, nasty!  Perhaps you've developed an immunity to them now?  You can always hope.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Ooh, nasty!  Perhaps you've developed an immunity to them now?  You can always hope.

It would seem so, I have never had another sandfly bite since then. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sandfly bites aren't fun. I had a few encounters when I was young, one of the downsides of getting around with a yabby pump. My nan's remedy seemed to work - Sunlight liquid on the bites. It certainly took away the sting.

• Like 3

The idea of bed bugs and the possibility of bringing them home terrifies me. I've never encountered any, but still always check and take precautions.

I'm doing a week trip to Sydney soon and my sister plans to take her own pillow and blanket to the hotel. I would never do that for fear of bed bugs coming home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CountessCookie said:

I'm doing a week trip to Sydney soon and my sister plans to take her own pillow and blanket to the hotel. I would never do that for fear of bed bugs coming home.

Ugh, I hadn't thought of that.  Unless there is a pillow menu I always take my pillow with me wherever we go domestic or international.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to here that this experience has been so awful for you. The presence of those bed bug would have been bad enough without then dealing with this ongoing fallout.

Honestly, I don't blame you for not taking part in the Accurate Affairs interview. Personally I never trust those sorts of shows to present things fairly, they just go for the story which will get them the most views.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Ugh, I hadn't thought of that.  Unless there is a pillow menu I always take my pillow with me wherever we go domestic or international.

Might be worth getting a second pillow for travel? When you get home you can douse it with bug spray and let hit air out and still have a clean pillow to sleep on that night.

• Like 3

Yikes I always take my own pillow.

Today i bought some Aerogard crawling insect spray to pack for our cruise in July,  I'll go in & nuke every little hiding spot in our cabin. I also read bed bugs hate lavender oil or tea tree oil, so I'll take that as well.  At least I'll feel better trying to prevent them.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have heard that the lavender makes them sleepy.

Nah. It turns the them blue silly dilly.😟

Edited by lyndarra
  • Haha 3

On 5/25/2024 at 3:06 AM, arxcards said:

Just updating my packing list for P&O

+ Antihistamine cream

+bugspray.webp.887db733b37b1abb06527e9ae3b11444.webp 

That brings back nightmares.  I can still smell it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/24/2024 at 9:21 PM, MMDown Under said:

I hadn't heard of bed bugs on cruise ships.  However, we were badly bitten in accommodation overlooking the Mediterranean.  We were travelling with a friend's mother from Rome.  When the owners discovered we were foreign, they tried to cancel our booking.  However, We insisted they honour our booking.  Not a smart move, because I suspect they knew about the bed bugs.  Our friend from Rome's room had no bed bugs.  I was told to always check the mattress protector, which will have blood spots, if there are bed bugs. 

Before retirement I traveled extensively all over the world staying in all types of hotels. Bed bugs don't care if it's a 1 star or 5 star accommodation, they're very opportunist.

The recommendation of not putting your luggage on the floor, or another bed, is paramount in not bringing those uninvited guests home with you. Use the metal luggage valet, or place your suitcase on the top of the dresser during unpacking, and always close it tight when finished. 

Another tip our crew used was to fill a couple of empty 2 liter water bottles with hot water. Place the bottles on the bed under the top sheet and cover them. The bugs are attracted to the warmth of the bottles and will come looking for a meal. Check the bottom sheet near the bottles after about 30 minutes, if there are bed bugs in your bed you should see them. As was previously posted, checking the mattress cover for blood spots also works, but only if a previous guest has been bitten.

Hope this helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 8:50 AM, MicCanberra said:

It really depends on the wording, free, included, available for no extra cost. Pizza on cruise ships can be good but it is rarely free as well.

Certainly the "free" pizza from the poolside pizza outlet on Coral Princess is excellent. Best cruise ship pizza I've ever had. Far better than the offerings in Alfredos which now costs extra unless you have the later versions of Plus and Premier fares.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

On 5/26/2024 at 9:45 AM, CountessCookie said:

The idea of bed bugs and the possibility of bringing them home terrifies me. I've never encountered any, but still always check and take precautions.

Just a memory a good neighbour went to the Ballieric Islands and brought home cockroaches (which we did not have in our area in England)  She had to throw away her suitcases as they warned her about eggs having been laid in the seams

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That brings back nightmares.  I can still smell it.

Oh my, no home was complete without one.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

Just a memory a good neighbour went to the Ballieric Islands and brought home cockroaches (which we did not have in our area in England)  She had to throw away her suitcases as they warned her about eggs having been laid in the seams

Gross!