Brooklyn cruise crowd

Starting to get a little concerned about my memorial week cruise from Brooklyn next week. Reading lots of posts on other sites that people bring pot. To me, if that’s the first question people ask about this ship, that’s not a good sign.

Is the crowd from this port going to be a little rough and tumble? Starting to get the impression I’ve signed up for a 3-day Carnival out of Nola where people bring their luggage on in a reuseable grocery bag…

I also saw one video where the reviewer said “a certain demographic of people who made up most of the passengers” were extremely rude at the buffet and hoarding armfuls of fruit to bring back to their room. (He would not get more specific than that)

anyone can shed light on what kind of demographic I can expect, will really help to assuage my concerns or at least prepare me for what sounds like it might be a total shipshow… *gulp* 😩

7 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Starting to get a little concerned about my memorial week cruise from Brooklyn next week. Reading lots of posts on other sites that people bring pot. To me, if that’s the first question people ask about this ship, that’s not a good sign.

Is the crowd from this port going to be a little rough and tumble? Starting to get the impression I’ve signed up for a 3-day Carnival out of Nola where people bring their luggage on in a reuseable grocery bag…

😩

So, how you doin'?🙂

Our daughter and her son recently cruised on Meraviglia.  They reported NOTHING of what you fear.  I'm sure there will be exceptions as there are on every cruise line.

You will encounter many wonderful people on your cruise, even some from Brooklyn!🙂🙂

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I also saw one video where the reviewer said “a certain demographic of people who made up most of the passengers” were extremely rude at the buffet and hoarding armfuls of fruit to bring back to their room. (He would not get more specific than that)

anyone can shed light on what kind of demographic I can expect, will really help to assuage my concerns or at least prepare me for what sounds like it might be a total shipshow… *gulp* 😩

I guess you should have done your research BEFORE booking. To quote a famous line from the Movie "A Bronx Tale" "Now yous can't leave"

5 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Seeing people with a lot of fruit is not bad as long they leave some for the rest of us. I think you will be fine as long as you know that some people may be a bit pushy. 

That large fruit hoarding group flew in from about 15,000 miles away from Brooklyn.

Don't worry.....the crowd is no better or worse than any other CCL or NCL group...typical Americans. 

• Haha 3

I was on the Meraviglia last July and had no issues in Brooklyn.  I didn’t notice the fellow passengers to be any different than similar trips.  And I’ll be getting on tomorrow and have none of the concerns you shared.

I’m not sure I’d agree with the poster you quoted that any particular demographic behaves any better or any worse than the general population.  Some people may be new to cruising and may not understand the unwritten customs/protocols such as at the buffet.  Just be a bit patient, and remember that each of us is a new cruiser once!

Jim

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

That large fruit hoarding group flew in from about 15,000 miles away from Brooklyn.

Don't worry.....the crowd is no better or worse than any other CCL or NCL group...typical Americans. 

Thank you. That’s what I was hoping to hear 

Any cruise can be bad depending on the crowd I guess. For example almost all NCL cruises I’ve been on were fine, but one was full of tattoos and fights, there was a major melee outside the nightclub on the Encore… they got booted off at the next port…

I guess the one particular port that might be a bit wild is the NOLA cruises but I’m not planning on going there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fissues said:

"I saw one carrying a 3 lb. Ball of Mozzarella back to the cabin!"

Well, in my defense, it did look like it could use some sun.

200w(7).gif.885a97a989efbd80cdad086a3b5c367e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

"...compelled you to book the cruise in the first place."

In our case, it was an evening visit from a rather dapper Romanian TA.

200w(8).gif.0812b22ebd5f6eb1cd02a4ba20a825e7.gif

3 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

I've been on Meraviglia twice out of Brooklyn and going again in September. I have quite enjoyed it.

I have never personally smelled or had any other indication that there was pot smoking going on. As with almost any cruise, I would think there were a few that succeeded in getting it onto the ship but never anything I noticed and I was very much a night owl on my second Meraviglia cruise.

The passenger base is definitely a lot more mixed than I've seen on other cruises. It's particularly noticeable during one of the parties (probably White Night?) when they go through music from other regions of the world. The Indian contingent was very boisterous (in a good way) when their music came on.

There are/were also more children than I'm used to, but I've also never been on carnival, RCCL or NCL (yet). As a solo, I would usually camp out on the Horizon deck (aft pool area, adults only) during the daytime and enjoy my books and drinks in relative peace. So, I stay away from the crowded lido pool/indoor pool areas on any line.

As for the buffet, I tend to go during slow times and I go towards the back where less people are. I can't really generalize other than to say I've seen rudeness to a degree on every cruise I've been on. The worst moment I had was after leaving the late night buffet I got in an elevator with 4 teens in it and one of the teens thought it would be funny to make the other teens laugh by pressing the buttons for every floor when the old guy got on.

Late arrivers and seat reservers in the theatre were more noticeable, as well. Honestly not sure why the theatre allows people to come in 20 minutes late to a 40 minute show and distract the audience.

As per usual, my response is much longer than intended. Short answer is the crowd is a bit different than other lines I've been on, but not necessarily bad and not something I ever considered to be low class or a hindrance to a good cruise. I've long accepted that things I find rude are not seen that way in some cultures. I'm on vacation enjoying myself and don't let it bother me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Fissues said:

Last time on the Meri, our hallway stunk of weed 24 hours a day. 

Jeezass… not what I want to hear, but what I suspected 

I’m in an aft balcony beside one the connecting family-studio-family cabins. If this is truly the case on my cruise, or there’s any sort of horseplay or rowdy behaviour on the balcony or in the halls, I will be calling security 

Edited by marktwothousand

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Jeezass… not what I want to hear, but what I suspected 

I’m in an aft balcony beside one the connecting family-studio-family cabins. If this is truly the case on my cruise, or there’s any sort of horseplay or rowdy behaviour on the balcony or in the halls, I will be calling security 

That wasn’t a problem, I don’t mind the smell and I don’t smoke it. It was a rowdy crowd with all out fighting and threats on one side and Screaming on the balcony and threatening to kill his wife, on the other side. I wasn’t going to intervene. That was in Aurea. I’ll be in the YC. 

Edited by Fissues

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The only demographic i know that would hoard fruit are Asians. It's very specific cultural thing for Asians from a wide variety of countries. Prefered choice of beverages are Orange Juice, hot water (Chinese). Shellfish of all types are also hoarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my Mer last Nov there was a rather large group (400ish) from China. The guides were doing their best to remind members to not cut in line at the buffet. 

Regarding fruit- it was interesting to watch when grapes were set out- Gone in 2 minutes!

Pot- smelled some around the pool- not awful. 

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@kwokpot

@ajoneen

I was trying to be politically correct....but, yes, Asians....Asians from Asia.

I knew that,but as an Asian-American I had no issues talking about my own peoples. My parents do exactly that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

"The only demographic i know that would hoard fruit are Asians. It's very specific cultural thing for Asians from a wide variety of countries."

OMG! It all makes sense now.

In this famous picture, Premier Zhou Enlai wasn't disdainful of President Nixon's overtures towards China; he was distracted.

It was the fruit, all along! 🍐🍊🍏

Itwasthefruitallalong.thumb.png.ed8caeff597f528e55a310ae817c50fd.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, no1talks said:

OMG! It all makes sense now.

In this famous picture, Premier Zhou Enlai wasn't disdainful of President Nixon's overtures towards China; he was distracted.

It was the fruit, all along! 🍐🍊🍏

Itwasthefruitallalong.thumb.png.ed8caeff597f528e55a310ae817c50fd.png

That's very funny.

Just to be clear, it's not so much about hoarding but Asian cultures enjoy eating lots and lots of fruit. In Asian cultures showing outwardly love and affection is not generally done. One way a mom may demonstrate love to her children is to bring them a plate of peeled and/or sectioned fruit. Asians generally prefer fruit to be peeled and cut,so for example,one doesn't eat a whole apple or pear by biting into a whole one; instead the skins would be peeled and the apple or pear cut up into little pieces. A mom that presents that to her children is showing love,care,and affection.

https://tastecooking.com/bowl-cut-fruits-asian-moms-say-love/

Edit: I'm 62 and my mom is 86 and when I go visit my parents my mom still does this for me.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 9

I have sailed out of NYC on both NCL and MSC several times. I would say the NCL crowd were more of a party/noisy/fighting by the pool type than on MSC. I have smelled pot and cigarette smoke on both lines more than once. Only remember one sailing on the Escape out of NYC where it was bad/frequent enough that I called security.

I would say that the "worst" experience I had on one of my four Meraviglia sailings was when a large tour group (my guess was about 200 of them total) was onboard and they took up the Edge Bar seating for the whole cruise, as if it was their own private lounge. Since I love the Edge Bar, that was pretty disappointing. But I don't really see how there was anything that could be done about that. My own solo cruise crew has been known to "hog" a table or two at Edge on my solo sailings. It was just bad luck that time to be booked on the same sailing as a large group who had the same favorite bar as me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have sailed out of NYC on both NCL and MSC several times. I would say the NCL crowd were more of a party/noisy/fighting by the pool type than on MSC. I have smelled pot and cigarette smoke on both lines more than once. Only remember one sailing on the Escape out of NYC where it was bad/frequent enough that I called security.

I would say that the "worst" experience I had on one of my four Meraviglia sailings was when a large tour group (my guess was about 200 of them total) was onboard and they took up the Edge Bar seating for the whole cruise, as if it was their own private lounge. Since I love the Edge Bar, that was pretty disappointing. But I don't really see how there was anything that could be done about that. My own solo cruise crew has been known to "hog" a table or two at Edge on my solo sailings. It was just bad luck that time to be booked on the same sailing as a large group who had the same favorite bar as me.

How is the solo program on MSC? Do you know what and location they met on the M-Viglia?

17 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

How is the solo program on MSC? Do you know what and location they met on the M-Viglia?

They met in the Brass Anchor each night at 5:00pm. Also, you will likely get seated at dinner with a group of solo cruisers. I have had no trouble getting our dining switched around after meeting some people at the solo meet-ups, since solos are usually assigned to large sharing tables.