New to Princess

Hi. 

Not new to cruising but haven't sailed with Princess before. 

We are considering booking a cruise on Sky Princess in a mini suite and wondered if there are any suites to avoid or if there are any hidden gems. 

Thanks in advance

27 minutes ago, Boatmans Lady said:

Hi. 

We are considering booking a cruise on Sky Princess in a mini suite and wondered if there are any suites to avoid or if there are any hidden gems. 

Thanks in advance

Some of the mini suites in the midship section have larger balconies.  

There are 4 mini suites way up forward on the marina and lido decks that have absolutely huge balconies.  I think they may be reserve class balconies but the cabins are also designed a bit differently as to where there is an actually separation of the bedroom and the living area.  

34 minutes ago, Boatmans Lady said:

Hi. 

Thanks in advance

One thing to know is that "mini suites" aren't actually suites.

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Some of the mini suites in the midship section have larger balconies.  

There are 4 mini suites way up forward on the marina and lido decks that have absolutely huge balconies.  I think they may be reserve class balconies but the cabins are also designed a bit differently as to where there is an actually separation of the bedroom and the living area.  

Thank you

• Thanks 1

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

One thing to know is that "mini suites" aren't actually suites.

Am I right in thinking that they are accurate to the mini suite photo and they have a full sized proper settee? 

Posted (edited)

The balconies on this class of ship are small/shallow...

If you want to look for a balcony that is a bit larger, look at Mini-Suites that are mid-ship on the curved bump-out.  An example would be Caribe Deck (10) like C409, C410, C414, C415.

There are RESERVE Mini-Suites (dark green on the deck plans) where the biggest perk is a special section in the MDR with no/less waiting and better service. 

You might not want a mid-ship Mini-Suite on a higher floor, under the SeaWalk overhang.

Of course, any cabin that does not have a loud public area just below or above, with cabins and not 'gray area' next door.   I do not generally like to book that high up and that far forward.  (those Mini-Suites located far forward on Marina and Lido....  but if that space and balcony and view are a bigger priority than mid-ship / mid-deck location and convenience, then they look amazing.  These do have the metal, not blue glass, balcony railing/walls...

Edited by Wishing on a star

Just now, Boatmans Lady said:

Am I right in thinking that they are accurate to the mini suite photo and they have a full sized proper settee? 

The pictures are generally accurate. This is a picture of the "settee" that was in our one and only mini.

Couch.JPG

Posted (edited)

They should all have a full sized sofa...

Not sure which cabin or ship is shown above, but that is a smaller love-seat.

Here is a video of one of those larger ones, far forward...

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Boatmans Lady said:

If it is a "settee" that you are after, a mini suite is not necessary. We always forego a suite and book a Premium Deluxe Balcony with a large balcony with at least partial overhead coverage and a "settee".

• Thanks 1

If you can, book a reserve class ( used to be club class) mini. You will have a much better experience. We love reserve class dining. Separate entrance. Better service, no reservation necessary and a few special additions to the menu. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are considering a Mini-Suite, then this might be the way to go.

A Deluxe Balcony cabin will a bit larger than a standard Balcony, with the little two seat 'loveseat'.

A Mini-Suite will be quite a bit larger, it will have a larger bathroom with a tub/shower, not the very small shower with the 'friendly' shower curtain.

a Mini-Suite will also have a small dining table (not just a side or footrest table) on the Balcony.

As mentioned, the biggest thing with Club/Reserve Mini-Suites is the separate dining area and entrance to the Main Dining Room, with no Reservations and very little if any waiting... Should be one additional special entree each night.

On the Sky, you can book the Premium Deluxe Balconies that have the larger balcony.

But, something tells me you are wanting the larger cabin/bathroom, etc.

We have actually booked D226, which is a small regular Balcony cabin with a larger balcony.

NOTE:  the video link above is specific to the new SUN Princess.

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The OP asked about Mini-Suites on SKY Princess. The thread you cited to is about Cabana Class cabins on SUN Princess. The two have nothing in common. 

Oops! I misread the post. I realize (and for anyone else reading) these two are two different classes of ship.

8 hours ago, nini said:

If it is a "settee" that you are after, a mini suite is not necessary. We always forego a suite and book a Premium Deluxe Balcony with a large balcony with at least partial overhead coverage and a "settee".

Thank you for your input. 

Some kind of a settee is important as I'm not a great sleeper and tend to get up so I don't disturb my husband so like to have somewhere to sit a bit more comfortable. 

If there are mobility issues then the high lip on the tub could be an issue. I have had a knee and hip replacement and find it hard and almost dangerous to climb in and out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Treasure Hunter said:

You will have more room and a larger sofa/couch in a mini also I believe there is a curtain that can be pulled.

Excellent point.

• Thanks 1

After much deliberation and looking at cabins on YouTube we decided on a deluxe cabin aft as my husband said, we don't spend much time in the bath too but we do on a balcony, so have opted for one of the bigger balcony cabins. 

• Like 2

If you are on Deck 9, Port or Starboard...  great!!!!

If you are wanting AFT wake-view, make sure that you have chosen a deck with the 'deeper' larger balconies!

You are doing you homework and planning!!!!  You will, hopefully, love your cruise!!!

19 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If you are on Deck 9, Port or Starboard...  great!!!!

If you are wanting AFT wake-view, make sure that you have chosen a deck with the 'deeper' larger balconies!

You are doing you homework and planning!!!!  You will, hopefully, love your cruise!!!

We won't get our actual cabin number until Thursday but (fingers crossed) it hopefully will be one of the 4 deeper balconies on Dolphin or Baja Deck. 

Excited to sail on another cruise line. We have had a part covered deeper balcony on another cruise line and loved it so that swayed us. 

• Like 1