Medallion?

What's that all about?

I've cruised on CCL, NCL and MSC (YC).

I'm looking into a Princess Cruise....not interested in Plus or Premier packages.

Is the medallion something physical?  Something included with a package....or something everyone gets (like a keycard)?

Thanks

It is a device that takes the place of the keycard issued by other lines.  It has some additional functionality, but at a minimum unlocks your cabin door hands-free.  In conjunction with the app, you can use it to find your traveling companions, order drinks and food to be brought to you almost anywhere on the ship, make purchases in port and earn 8% back, identify yourself to crew such as bartenders, servers and folks manning the gangways. For some, it just opens the cabin door. For some, it is a scary 1984 Big Brother device and they request keycards as if they provided a cloak of invisibility. It is a potential swallowing hazard for toddlers. It is a badge of honor to some, as it shows your CC status.  It is a souvenir printed with the ships name and sailing date. All of this and more.

• Like 3

The medallion replaces the cruise card it is May be a little bit bigger than a quarter it comes with a lanyard or you can purchase other items to wear it such as a clip wrist band or a necklace.  It will unlock your cabin door on approach along with using on board for purchases and getting off and on in ports.  You can order it to your home for 10$ or pick up at the port.  Make sure you download the princess app where you can order it and also make dinner reservations for your cruise along with other functions of the app.

• Like 1

It's "for free" when you check in?  Is there any benefit to ordering it for your home?  We are generally "buffet eaters"....never eat in specialty restaurants, even when entitled by status on other lines.

9 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

AND - It makes a spiffy refrigerator magnet! 😁

Works on the walls of your cabin too - to hang up some of the important papers you receive during the cruise (invites to the Captain's party, shore excursion tickets, etc). I take several on all my cruises (sometimes you need more than one to hang a paper) regardless of which cruise line. 😉 

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

It's "for free" when you check in?  Is there any benefit to ordering it for your home?  We are generally "buffet eaters"....never eat in specialty restaurants, even when entitled by status on other lines.

It's free on check in...if you pay the $10 to have it delivered to your home, you get access to the "Green line" which sometimes gets you through the terminal far quicker than being in the "Blue line" (sometimes there's very little difference between lines).

Also, if you buy the Plus or Premium package once on board, they subtract the $10 you paid to have it delivered. I buy the Plus package each trip once on board bc I feel it's a great value

- includes unlimited room service delivery

- unlimited food/drink delivery anywhere on board

- all beverages (value up to $15) - not just alcoholic drinks, but specialty coffees, virgin drinks, water, Pellegrino, sodas, etc. (alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 per day per person)

- daily gratuities (value $16-18 per day)

- one device streaming wi-fi (value at least $5 per day depending on status)

- 2 casual dining meals

and more 

Just my opinion - YMMV

59 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Don't let the word medallion scare you. It's works like a cruise card with more functions as others have explained. When you arrive at the pier you will go through security, and then the line splits into two. The green lane is for those that already have their medallion, the blue lane is for those that have to pick up their medallion. It's a short detour, maybe 5 minutes. There is no charge for picking up at the pier. No real benefit to have it sent to your home except the few minute detour. You can dine wherever you wish. The medallion has no bearing on where you dine.

It is best to complete all the check in information pre-cruise on the app or on the web version. It makes the medallion pick up very smooth and quick.

The medallion is provided in a plastic holder with a lanyard. Other holders are available on board for a fee. You can also remove it from the lanyard and carry it in your pocket or some other way. It has been mentioned that the medallion fits into the air tag nicely. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you've been on this forum for so long, surely, you can't be the first person asking this....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3004645-medallions-what-are-they/

But as I get older....my cognitive skills decline!

Seriously...I was doing the research, and I was led to believe they had something to do with "getting a package", which I don't want.

On MSC...we get them automatically...in the YC...so I was thinking that if you don't get a package, you don't get a medallion.

41 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

...so I was thinking that if you don't get a package, you don't get a medallion.

Nope... *Everybody* gets a medallion since it serves as your "key card" like other cruise lines use.

• Like 1

If you want to get a "holder" for the medallion (the free lanyard is not the best), you can get them onboard as someone mentioned or you can just order your own beforehand.  They are basically the same size as an Apple air-tag, so anything that will hold an air-tag will hold the medallion.