Theater Productions and Sail Away

I am leaving for Alaska Dawes Glacier Friday which is the second week and have been following someone posting a live from for the first week.  It seems very strange and disappointing:

• There is no sail away party.  We had one Sept 2022 on the same routing. They posted the schedule, and nothing listed.  Nothing in my app either.
  • There is no traditional production show the first night.  They posted the schedule and shows a comedian.  Nothing including the comedian in my app.

Has X gotten away from production shows each night?  Is this due to the itinerary? Is this because it is the first week?  Hopefully the second week will be better.

Don't trust the app until boarding day.  Some stuff is accurate, a lot of it is garbage.  Much of the data you see weeks before your cruise is populated from the current cruise that ship is on.

5 minutes ago, Team Stag said:

Don't trust the app until boarding day.  Some stuff is accurate, a lot of it is garbage.  Much of the data you see weeks before your cruise is populated from the current cruise that ship is on.

But what about the live thread being posted?  Is it because it is the first week? 

Stressing this won't be a fun cruise.  It WILL be relaxing however.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Is it because it is the first week? 

There was actually a 6 nighter on Edge prior to the current one you are following.  We will be the third sailing.  I'm sure they are still working out the kinks.  I don't anticipate a boring cruise 😊.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

But what about the live thread being posted?  Is it because it is the first week? 

Stressing this won't be a fun cruise.  It WILL be relaxing however.

We just returned from a cruise.  We were used the app during the week prior to make plans.  Heck one night they had an 80's party schedule (and many of our role call brought 80's outfits) just to find that on sailaway day it had been replaced with a late night comedian show.  Same thing with menus - we signed up for speciality dining to miss some of lesser favorite dining room menus only to have them all on wrong nights.   Just sharing our most recent experience.

1 minute ago, Team Stag said:

We just returned from a cruise.  We were used the app during the week prior to make plans.  Heck one night they had an 80's party schedule (and many of our role call brought 80's outfits) just to find that on sailaway day it had been replaced with a late night comedian show.  Same thing with menus - we signed up for speciality dining to miss some of lesser favorite dining room menus only to have them all on wrong nights.   Just sharing our most recent experience.

I know things change last minute.  My first RCCL cruise in 1994 two days before the group The Turtles were to be featured in the main show room, they removed all signage and posted due to an illness it was cancelled.  Fortunately, that morning of the show, whoever was sick got well and the signs were back up and the show went on as planned.

My experiences on my last few cruises have been that the first night there is not a big production show. It is usually a single act such as a comedian or singer and often only one show. The production shows tend to be on the Evening Chic nights. Other nights they have what, in cruise line speak, are “headliners.”

As for a sail away party, I don’t recall that there are big parties. There will be music and dancing on the pool deck, but that’s about it. It will show up on the app closer to boarding. 

• Like 2

I think there are two different types of "cast" shows - the big production ones which are usually the full dance, singing, and acrobat folks (usually on chic night) and the smaller cast shows like more a singing and dance event (a couple per weekly cruise).  Then other nights are the "outside" entertainers which are either lower key comedians and magicians or bigger events like musicians & singers.

So, there's always some shows, but the very first night is not ever (in my memory) the "big show" or the "chic night".

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Celebrity has never had a production show every night of the cruise. They are interspersed with comedians, magicians, guest singers, piano players, etc.

I thought it was a big show the first and last night as a welcome aboard and thank you for sailing and maybe one other big show.  I guess I mistakenly called everything a production show.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Celebrity has never had a production show every night of the cruise. They are interspersed with comedians, magicians, guest singers, piano players, etc.

Good variety and  there is a live show each night.. other lines do not necessarily offer that from what we've heard.. 

Edited by hcat

In my experience, Alaska isn't anything like the Caribbean or Europe as far as entertainment or sail away parties go.

They're usually more sedate sailings, mostly focused on Alaska. I'd expect a guest singer and maybe a naturalist who will hold a couple of informative talks regarding wildlife and glaciers. Not just with Celebrity, I've also sailed other lines in Alaska. 

As others have posted don't trust the app but don't expect a Caribbean or European vibe either, 

Patty 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Team Stag said:

This is my biggest complaint too.  I booked reservations in the MDRs due to suggestions I see posted, but I have no idea if I'm overlapping activities I'd rather do.  I don't see events from current sailings yet but I did find an activity schedule posted for another ship.  I'm assuming I can just show to eat on standby whenever I want - or the buffet will be okay for days where I scheduled badly.

5 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Does anyone know if the main production shows are repeated on 2 different nights on 6 day sailings? 

All shows are done 2x a night most of at 7 & 9.  They do not repeat the same show on 2 different nights

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

This is my biggest complaint too.  I booked reservations in the MDRs due to suggestions I see posted, but I have no idea if I'm overlapping activities I'd rather do.  I don't see events from current sailings yet but I did find an activity schedule posted for another ship.  I'm assuming I can just show to eat on standby whenever I want - or the buffet will be okay for days where I scheduled badly.

The shows (two of the same per night) are timed (and stay essentially the same) to correspond with either an early seating or a later seating in the MDR.  It would be hard to miss a show if you chose one or the other time for dinner.  At worst, at a really chatty table where folks are talking more than eating, you may look at your watch and decide dessert can wait(!) until later, and head to the show. The flip side - show first - is a little "messier" as you might be in a bit of a rush to get to the MDR prior to a line forming at the entrances.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

3 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

I am leaving for Alaska Dawes Glacier Friday which is the second week and have been following someone posting a live from for the first week.  It seems very strange and disappointing:

• There is no sail away party.  We had one Sept 2022 on the same routing. They posted the schedule, and nothing listed.  Nothing in my app either.
  • There is no traditional production show the first night.  They posted the schedule and shows a comedian.  Nothing including the comedian in my app.

Has X gotten away from production shows each night?  Is this due to the itinerary? Is this because it is the first week?  Hopefully the second week will be better.

They never had production shows each night.

• Like 1

Doesn’t Celebrity have the band playing by the pool for sailway? 
we never been to one still we are usually at the Sunset Bar  for sailaway 

Never seen a production show on the first night as the entertainment staff are usually doing other duties in the afternoon and don’t have time to rehearse 

2 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

The shows (two of the same per night) are timed (and stay essentially the same) to correspond with either an early seating or a later seating in the MDR.  It would be hard to miss a show if you chose one or the other time for dinner.  At worst, at a really chatty table where folks are talking more than eating, you may look at your watch and decide dessert can wait(!) until later, and head to the show. The flip side - show first - is a little "messier" as you might be in a bit of a rush to get to the MDR prior to a line forming at the entrances.

We usually do:

5 PM Happy Hour

6 PM Dinner MDR

9 PM late show and sit where we can make a quick exit for...

10 PM Disco night, 80's night, Abba Sing along and other stuff along those calibers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Doesn’t Celebrity have the band playing by the pool for sailway? 
we never been to one still we are usually at the Sunset Bar  for sailaway 

Never seen a production show on the first night as the entertainment staff are usually doing other duties in the afternoon and don’t have time to rehearse 

That band by the pool for sail away has always been our experience.  

On 7 day cruises, there will be 3 production shows.  The first night usually features a comedian.  Then there will a tribute singer or group, and some other 'guests'. .

On our last cruises, there was no live band on sailaway.  The DJ played some tunes and that was it.