LAX Transfer

We like the Princess transfers, yes I know cost more. Question for anybody who has arrived early in the day have they sent you to the port or made you wait hours for more people to arrive? When we have done the hotel packages they have met us and put us in a taxi but that was a day or two early. Looking at early morning arrival 10am the day of this trip. Have never gone to the port on any Princess cruise before noon, generally not until 1:00 or so as a rule.

Thanks for any information want to book flight and car service soon.

Busses arrive from the port to the airport probably starting around 9/9:30am for the fist bus arrival. Then those busses wait to fill with passengers going to the port. When the bus is full or almost full it leaves. Some of the timing depends on how many passengers are arriving and the timing of the arrivals. There are group shuttles, such as Prime Time, that will go to San Pedro. Depending on the number of stops the trip could take 1 1/2 hours or so. Uber is a good choice, private ride, reasonable cost. Taxis are also readily available. 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Uber is a good choice,

Taxis are also readily available. 

Depending on terminal you come into at LAX, Uber and Taxi area can be a pain to get to. The area is next to terminal 1 where Southwest comes into. The bus operates on a loop and the bus can fill by the later terminals. You can walk but only terminal 1 and terminal 7 UAL are fairly close.

• Like 2

Busses arrive from the port to the airport probably starting around 9/9:30am for the fist bus arrival. Then those busses wait to fill with passengers going to the port. When the bus is full or almost full it leaves. Some of the timing depends on how many passengers are arriving and the timing of the arrivals. There are group shuttles, such as Prime Time, that will go to San Pedro. Depending on the number of stops the trip could take 1 1/2 hours or so. Uber is a good choice, private ride, reasonable cost. Taxis are also readily available. 

We plan on United Airline because I need a direct flight from Boston. Only direct gets to LAX at 10am. We haven't worried in the past but generally don't get there until after noon. Oct. 2022 we waited for the bus to board almost an hour. We did get to the port at 2:30 and walk right on, no lines anywhere. But this next cruise leaves at 3:00.

Thanks

56 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

We plan on United Airline because I need a direct flight from Boston. Only direct gets to LAX at 10am. We haven't worried in the past but generally don't get there until after noon. Oct. 2022 we waited for the bus to board almost an hour. We did get to the port at 2:30 and walk right on, no lines anywhere. But this next cruise leaves at 3:00.

Thanks

We cruised out of LA in April and arrived at LAX at about the same time you are. We had a short wait, certainly under a half hour and got on one of the first buses out. That puts you at the pier at somewhere in the neighborhood of 11:00. Ish. We were green lane and boarding was very quick.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some of the above posts are misleading for LAX which does not allow Uber (except UBER BLACK) or Taxis at the terminals.Only one Taxi pick-up is near UA Terminal 7.

I suggest you read the comments posted in:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

OR google LAXIT.

The Princess Buses ARE allowed at the terminals.

Edited by sultan_sfo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sultan_sfo said:

Some of the above posts are misleading for LAX which does not allow Uber (except UBER BLACK) or Taxis at the terminals.Only one Taxi pick-up is near UA Terminal 7.

I suggest you read the comments posted in:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

OR google LAXIT.

The Princess Buses ARE allowed at the terminals.

"Depending on terminal you come into at LAX, Uber and Taxi area can be a pain to get to. The area is next to terminal 1 where Southwest comes into. The bus operates on a loop and the bus can fill by the later terminals. You can walk but only terminal 1 and terminal 7 UAL are fairly close".

This was to address alternate transportation from LAX to San Pedro. You have to walk from Terminal 7 UAL to LAXIT lot for Taxi and Uber/Lyft. Buses as well as Private car services also can pick up from terminal stops as well as Uber Black, which is treated as a private car service.

If Princess offers a transfer for your cruise they will certainly get you there in time to board. We flew United to LAX earlier this year and arrived at terminal 7 which I "think" is pretty much the normal United arrivals terminal. It was a fairly short walk to the Uber pickup area and it was easy to find due to signage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

We like the Princess transfers, yes I know cost more. Question for anybody who has arrived early in the day have they sent you to the port or made you wait hours for more people to arrive? When we have done the hotel packages they have met us and put us in a taxi but that was a day or two early. Looking at early morning arrival 10am the day of this trip. Have never gone to the port on any Princess cruise before noon, generally not until 1:00 or so as a rule.

Thanks for any information want to book flight and car service soon.

With a 10 am arrival at LAX they will take you to the cruise terminal without too much of a wait ( if any).

• Like 1

We did not have a good experience the last time we used transfer from LAX.  We arrived about 11:30 and passengers with transfers were already waiting in our terminal.  They waited until 1 passenger who wasn’t arriving until 2:30 to call the bus.  If I recall correctly, we didn’t load the bus until 3pm and everyone was pushy to get on.  There were other terminals they picked up from as we left LAX. We were the last group of passengers on the ship.  The muster check in stations were closed so we received the nasty “you didn’t show up for muster” letter which irked me since it was out of our control.  Never again will I do transfer from the airport day of.  I did not enjoy that day at all.  Cruise turned out good though.

10 hours ago, Tweedy said:

We did not have a good experience the last time we used transfer from LAX.  We arrived about 11:30 and passengers with transfers were already waiting in our terminal.  They waited until 1 passenger who wasn’t arriving until 2:30 to call the bus.  If I recall correctly, we didn’t load the bus until 3pm and everyone was pushy to get on.  There were other terminals they picked up from as we left LAX. We were the last group of passengers on the ship.  The muster check in stations were closed so we received the nasty “you didn’t show up for muster” letter which irked me since it was out of our control.  Never again will I do transfer from the airport day of.  I did not enjoy that day at all.  Cruise turned out good though.

Sorry to hear this, must have been a while ago no more masters thankfully. We have been lucky so far (fingers crossed) hubby is always stressed about these but it makes things easier on me with extra items needed for the journey. We get in at 9:30 but with LAX being so large allowing 30 minutes to get to baggage. He gets the two bags I take carry on and find the Princess rep. So far they have been there even when we arrive two days early when we do their hotel package.

Actually, it was in Oct 2022, not too long ago.  We’ve never had problems when we’ve flown in the day before.  Either they’ve ordered a cab for us or waited Curbside for hotel shuttle.  Maybe it was just a one off but just that once didn’t leave a good feeling, ya know.

Bring your patience with you when you do a transfer from LAX.

It is true, the sequence is:  bus leaves San Pedro, drops off passengers, circles around terminal, and picks up embarking passengers.

It is the drive around the LAX to get back to Terminal 1 that is the hang up.  It may take up to 45 minutes to do a loop around LAX.  I know that it takes me longer to get from the beginning of LAX to exit than it takes for me to drive from my home 20 miles away.

I absolutely hate driving to pickup/drop off friends from LAX.

• Like 1