easy way to call family from ship

lovetosew

I have Consumer Cellular as my cell service. Any comments on their service as to Viking Oceans. Would a messaging app be better for my purpose? I cannot seem to find anything on VO web site to give me a clue. Thanks.  This is for the Bergen Barcelona Trade Routes cruise. 

Posted (edited)

you will have free internet access on VO so you 'could' web call (dunno if Consumer Cellular supports this) but I usually just text (time differences) and and have zero issues ... even sending pictures ....  I'm with VERIZON and activate international for our trips as we extend on either side for a few days ... I can buy 30 days of international with a kwik talk to service dept. Then I have full data etc for my days on land.

Edited by Capt_BJ

Not sure if you mean when 'out to sea' but if you are near/on land and your phone supports eSIM check the threads here on Airalo.  You can get cell data very cheap from them.

Mobile usage while cruising is not a simple conversation. There are so many variables. Who is your cell provider? Which model phone do you have? Etc. Check out Cruising Technology

here on Cruise Critic (lots of tech savvy folks hang out there).

There is nothing about cell service on the Viking website because other than free internet that you may be able to use to make calls, Viking is not a cell service provider. Internet at sea is a complicated issue in itself; it is not like sitting in your den and it is not guaranteed to be seamless -- no matter which cruise line you are sailing with.

The place to start is with your cell provider. Two questions to ask: 1) what are your international plans and 2) do your offer calling over wi-fi & do I have it available on my device?

There are tons of solutions but I always want to keep it simple. I do not want to mess with sim cards or even eSims. We have wi-fi calling on our phone for texting and calling family. We have a daily plan on our phone service for international calls made aboard (which I have used maybe once or twice in the past few years). GPS service does not need data to function. Download the maps you want to use before you leave home and you can navigate (but not much more).

• Like 3

Keep your phone on airplane mode to avoid surprises on the next billing statement. Use FaceTime and/or WhatsApp. Both work relatively well as long as the ship’s WiFi is operational. There are no fees associated with either App and is totally decoupled from your service provider. Just keep it on airplane mode.

• Like 4

We have Consumer Cellular also. In case you are not aware, You must contact CC to activate international calling. Give them an activation date and end date. Their international calling rates are reasonable for brief "Hi I got here safe and am having a great time" types of calls. We have had no issues using for airplane mode, wifi calls.

On 7/11/2024 at 9:13 PM, lovetosew said:

I have Consumer Cellular as my cell service. Any comments on their service as to Viking Oceans. Would a messaging app be better for my purpose? I cannot seem to find anything on VO web site to give me a clue. Thanks.  This is for the Bergen Barcelona Trade Routes cruise. 

Whatsapp via the Internet, either on ship or via land tower in port 

So far the idea is to use my message app. I will keep on airplane mode and call CC as to the dates I will be gone.  This is all new and exciting to me. Looking forward to the fun.

• Like 1

There are other ways that aren't as all inclusive as Whatsapp.  I can call from a mobile app on my VOIP landline without charge.  Or an app like Talkatone will provide a free number that can be used to call. 

I keep mine on airplane mode, connect to ship WIFI, and use WIFI calling.  Pretty simple for me.

In fact our cell service is so bad at home, I keep it like that as well...otherwise I can't use my phone for actual phone calls.  AT&T crappy cell signal coverage...and we live in a large community...not out in the country.  😕

• Like 1

If I understand correctly, the issue with using calling apps is that you need to be sure whoever you are calling has the app on their phones--both you and the recipient need whatever app you're using.  If you don't both have What'sAp or Facebook Messenger, etc., it won't work.

This is not the case I believe for wifi calling.

Please correct me if my assumptions are not correct.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

If I understand correctly, the issue with using calling apps is that you need to be sure whoever you are calling has the app on their phones--both you and the recipient need whatever app you're using.  If you don't both have What'sAp or Facebook Messenger, etc., it won't work.

Very true. Plus, I believe that you have to be each others contact list for those apps.

12 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

You're correct for the two apps you mentioned, however, there are a number of calling apps that allow you to 'load' them with some funds and use that money to call landlines and mobiles from the calling app. Skype is one example - price per minute varies widely depending on the quality of the infrastructure in the country you call, but between 2 and 10 cents per minute is a general guideline. Works quite well for short or emergency calls.

With WiFi calling, the carriers that I'm aware of treat a WiFi call just like a cellular one - you are subject to the terms of whatever calling plan you have. So, if you call internationally, you will generally be charged at their normal per minute rates (unless you already have an international plan).

With the plethora of carriers and plans that exist, it can be very confusing. I find it useful to start with a basic question - how much calling am I likely to do and to where? That will form the basis for analyzing your options. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, Capt_BJ said:

you will have free internet access on VO so you 'could' web call (dunno if Consumer Cellular supports this) but I usually just text (time differences) and and have zero issues ... even sending pictures ....  I'm with VERIZON and activate international for our trips as we extend on either side for a few days ... I can buy 30 days of international with a kwik talk to service dept. Then I have full data etc for my days on land.

You might want to check to see if your Verizon plan is eligible for the $10/month international calling add-on. We've been using it since late last year, and it has saved us quite a bit of money and hassles (acquiring SIMs).

7 hours ago, MamaFej said:

You might want to check to see if your Verizon plan is eligible for the $10/month international calling add-on. We've been using it since late last year, and it has saved us quite a bit of money and hassles (acquiring SIMs).

We use it. You ask Verizon to activate once and don't have to disactivate it at the end of your trip. But you do need to put your phone back into airplane mode.

It is $5 for use in Mexico and Canada and $10 in the rest of the world (with the except of a few obscure countries) for 24 consecutive hours of service. If you don't turn on airplane mode before the end of the 24 hours, you will automatically start another 24 hour period.

If you want your phone available all day, every day of your trip, this may or may not be the best plan for you. In other words, you have to do the math based on your usage.

It works for us. We aren't big phone users and we use mostly calling over wi-fi from the ship. The GPS talks with the Google maps that we have downloaded to the phone to use offline without need for internet service (the amount of information just isn't as robust) and we can navigate our way around town and country. (Battery drain is the bigger issue). But, in case of emergency, we pay $10 for the day rather than whatever the per minute rate is without a plan.

ATT's version of the above is $10 per day for first phone on plan, $5 per phone for any others on plan.  You have international data for 24 hours from the time you turn off airplane mode.

We use this judiciously---if we are wandering streets, for example, it's useful for using Google Maps, or if in the airport and choose not to use the wifi.  On a 12 day tulip cruise and extension this past spring we turned it on maybe just 3 times, so paying $30 was easier than playing with foreign SIM cards, etc.  Worked for us.

Looking forward to our September trip to Quebec, as our data plan covers us in Canada!

• Like 1

The ATT plan I believe also has a max of $150 per billing period. So even if my wife and I both use data/call on our phones every day in port (which we often do), it never goes above that and usually is quite a bit less. The advantage is your phone "just works" like at home without having to do anything special (other than go to airplane mode when the ship leaves port). The cost is worth the lack of hassle for us. 

T-Mobile, T-Mobile, T-Mobile—works for us. We have the legacy 55+ plan with international roaming. Just in Scotland for three weeks. Texts free, calls 25 cents per minute. Logged about $35 in calls over those three weeks through calls to NHS to get health treatment on Shetland & when we blew out two tires on the rental car in the Highlands (luckily not on a single track road!). Have used this plan on all our VO cruises with minimal charges for phone calls now that most countries are 25 cents a minute. Even use wi-fi calling to home successfully while on ship.

I was the navigatrix and used maps on my iPhone extensively—no extra charge (just battery usage—but we always travel with a couple of power packs).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We use it. You ask Verizon to activate once and don't have to disactivate it at the end of your trip. But you do need to put your phone back into airplane mode.

It is $5 for use in Mexico and Canada and $10 in the rest of the world (with the except of a few obscure countries) for 24 consecutive hours of service. If you don't turn on airplane mode before the end of the 24 hours, you will automatically start another 24 hour period.

If you want your phone available all day, every day of your trip, this may or may not be the best plan for you. In other words, you have to do the math based on your usage.

It works for us. We aren't big phone users and we use mostly calling over wi-fi from the ship. The GPS talks with the Google maps that we have downloaded to the phone to use offline without need for internet service (the amount of information just isn't as robust) and we can navigate our way around town and country. (Battery drain is the bigger issue). But, in case of emergency, we pay $10 for the day rather than whatever the per minute rate is without a plan.

Be careful with Verizon. SMS text is considered cell usage and if you turn on your phone and get an SMS text you are charged $10. Apple (iPhone) has their own text server so iPhone to iPhone is not SMS. We switch to eSims for data and disable our Verizon sims.

Just an FYI regarding the comment about Google maps above. If you know what cities you will be in, open the city map while you are still at home and save it to offline maps. You can then use it without any cell or wifi signal in total airplane mode. Google maps offline only uses GPS signal and that's free.

• Like 2

Map will be saved (in mobile application) under the avatar for your Google Map app. Top right corner, tap self and saved maps are there in the "offline maps" section.

• Like 1