Infinity aqua vs balcony

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Does anyone know if unifier aqua class is worth the price difference compared to a normal balcony?

Other than some room amenities, it seems access to Blu is the main benefit…? Is this worthwhile, or are we better putting the money towards speciality dining?

Thank you. 

Edited by cusematt4

On the Infinity there are only 3 specialty restaurants: Sushi on 5, Tuscan, and Le Petit Chef.  

Unless the price difference is large I would choose Aqua.  We love Blu (menu a d service). Should  there be a night you don’t find something on the menu that appeals to you then you can order off the MDR menu and still enjoy the service in Blu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if unifier aqua class is worth the price difference compared to a normal balcony?

Other than some room amenities, it seems access to Blu is the main benefit…? Is this worthwhile, or are we better putting the money towards speciality dining?

Thank you. 

very much personal choice.

For us Aqua is a no for two main reasons:

1) The cabin location - tends to be high up and to the front - we like deck 7 central.

2) Blu - we eat as a couple at home every day and one one of the delights of cruising is to share tables in the MDR at dinner every night - always Select Dining, Table of six.

There used to be 3 reasons, having to book with Always included drinks and wifi, but that has now been dropped.

Possibly on M class the cabin might be bigger/squarer like Concierge rooms are but I don't know if that's so.

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Thank you. 

We sailed Aqua once, on Constellation. We paid $50 more than our original booking, so that was worth it. Enjoyed Blu & our uncovered balcony.

But AQ rooms are now generally considerably more than regular balconies on most cruises.

I don't get it. I can typically pay for 7 nights of specialty dining & a weeklong Persian pass (which I would rarely use, so wouldn't anyway) & it's still less than an AQ balcony. 

• Like 1

Just compared a random choice of a 7-night Greek cruise on Infinity in July 2025.  Aqua was only $231 pp more than the cheapest regular balcony - only $33 pp per night.  At that rate, Aqua would definitely be the preferred choice.

In addition to enjoying Blu, on Infinity, an Aqua cabin is somewhat larger than a standard balcony cabin: cabin 191sqft vs 170sqft and balcony 41sqft vs 38sqft

• Like 1

When I can't afford a suite I always book Aqua primarily for Blu as we don't really use the spa.  Much prefer the restaurant to the MDR, including for a nice sit down breakfast.  I disagree that all the cabins are way upfront.  We have a B2B on Reflection in November and we have Aqua Class with a nice hump balcony.

• Like 2

If the price is right, we would always pick Aqua simply for Blu. But we’re now comparing prices and if AQ is more than $300 pp more then we’ll go with a balcony and specialty dining. The only time we really use the Persian Garden is on TAs when the weather is wet and cold. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 2:41 PM, phoenix_dream said:

When I can't afford a suite I always book Aqua primarily for Blu as we don't really use the spa.  Much prefer the restaurant to the MDR, including for a nice sit down breakfast.  I disagree that all the cabins are way upfront.  We have a B2B on Reflection in November and we have Aqua Class with a nice hump balcony.

Oops I misspoke.  Our b2b on Aqua is on Eclipse in January.  But we do have a nice hump balcony 

I like the Aqua cabins on deck 11 on Infinity and other M Class ships. From deck 11 down the back stairs to the aft bar and the OVC. Easy to take your lunch back to your cabin.

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Oops I misspoke.  Our b2b on Aqua is on Eclipse in January.  But we do have a nice hump balcony 

Deck 11? Way to high for us - Deck 7 is our limit. We have experienced 90mph winds and 60 foot waves with the sea coming in through the doors by the Sky Lounge. The movement on the highest decks was way beyond "uncomfortable" then and would be impossible now.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, the penguins said:

Deck 11? Way to high for us - Deck 7 is our limit. We have experienced 90mph winds and 60 foot waves with the sea coming in through the doors by the Sky Lounge. The movement on the highest decks was way beyond "uncomfortable" then and would be impossible now.

I don't know where you've been sailing but the odds of hitting that kind of weather again is extremely slim. I've sailed 90 times and the highest waves I've hit are 30' and that was only once. Your cruise; your choice but avoiding higher decks because of one rare experience seems a bit overcautious to me, and I am prone to seasickness myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't know where you've been sailing but the odds of hitting that kind of weather again is extremely slim. I've sailed 90 times and the highest waves I've hit are 30' and that was only once. Your cruise; your choice but avoiding higher decks because of one rare experience seems a bit overcautious to me, and I am prone to seasickness myself.

Thanks for your concern and I do appreciate it was a "one off" well hopefully. However the fact remains that the higher up the ship you go and the closer to the bow/stern you are the more you are subject to the ship's movement. The stabilisers do a great job in reducing the "rolling from side to side" but nothing can reduce the up and down motion.

The crew have a simple saying that illustrates the point " the more you pay, the more you sway" which reflects the tendency of Cruise Lines to put the most expensive cabins high up and/or towards the stern.

Talking of stabilisers on one crossing of the Bay of Biscay on Independence of the seas, we tipped so much that the stabilisers came up out of the water. The Captain announced that " as he had never before seen the ends of the stabilisers except when the ship was in dry dock he had taken pictures which he had broadcast on one of the ship's tv channels so we could all see them".

The 60 foot wave episode also resulted in the following amusing incident.

We were sitting in the corner of a lounge when there was a large crash and a couple of minutes later 2 Officers arrived to check for damage.

Having looked all around Officer 1 called the Captain "We have checked the lounge whatever the crash was it wasn't in here. We are moving on to ........"

At this point Officer 2 interrupted by saying "Where is the piano"

Officer 1 continued with "It's OK Captain we have found the cause of the noise and are getting it sorted".

The piano had come off the back of the stage and through the wall. I must say the crew were not only quick to get it back on stage, but they also fitted a temporary metal leg to replace the wooden one that had been broken, bolted the piano to the stage and repaired the hole in the wall.

22 hours ago, the penguins said:

Thanks for your concern and I do appreciate it was a "one off" well hopefully. However the fact remains that the higher up the ship you go and the closer to the bow/stern you are the more you are subject to the ship's movement. The stabilisers do a great job in reducing the "rolling from side to side" but nothing can reduce the up and down motion.

The crew have a simple saying that illustrates the point " the more you pay, the more you sway" which reflects the tendency of Cruise Lines to put the most expensive cabins high up and/or towards the stern.

Talking of stabilisers on one crossing of the Bay of Biscay on Independence of the seas, we tipped so much that the stabilisers came up out of the water. The Captain announced that " as he had never before seen the ends of the stabilisers except when the ship was in dry dock he had taken pictures which he had broadcast on one of the ship's tv channels so we could all see them".

The 60 foot wave episode also resulted in the following amusing incident.

We were sitting in the corner of a lounge when there was a large crash and a couple of minutes later 2 Officers arrived to check for damage.

Having looked all around Officer 1 called the Captain "We have checked the lounge whatever the crash was it wasn't in here. We are moving on to ........"

At this point Officer 2 interrupted by saying "Where is the piano"

Officer 1 continued with "It's OK Captain we have found the cause of the noise and are getting it sorted".

The piano had come off the back of the stage and through the wall. I must say the crew were not only quick to get it back on stage, but they also fitted a temporary metal leg to replace the wooden one that had been broken, bolted the piano to the stage and repaired the hole in the wall.

I agree with you that higher up and further forward or aft are subject to more movement.  I just feel, as someone also subject to mal de mer, that there is really not all that much difference between a cabin on Deck 7 versus 11 or 12, as long as you can be mid-ship.  The real differences are felt forward and aft.  I hate how the newest E class ships have all the Retreat stuff including cabins upfront for that reason.   I think the statement you made about what the Captain said illustrates how rare such extreme occurrences are though.  

9 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree with you that higher up and further forward or aft are subject to more movement.  I just feel, as someone also subject to mal de mer, that there is really not all that much difference between a cabin on Deck 7 versus 11 or 12, as long as you can be mid-ship.  The real differences are felt forward and aft.  I hate how the newest E class ships have all the Retreat stuff including cabins upfront for that reason.   I think the statement you made about what the Captain said illustrates how rare such extreme occurrences are though.  

With respect to the Captain's comments if must be taken in context.

1) the stabilisers on Indi are over 20 feet below the waterline. 

2) Indi was the only ship to sail out of Southampton on the day in question all the others delayed sailing by 5 hours to avoid the storm. 

3) our Captain also made the following announcement " I have good news and even better news about the storm. The good news is that from now every we sail the weather will improve and the waves will decrease. The better news is that for the P and O ship we have just past going in the opposite direction for every hour they sail the weather will get worse." English sense of humour.🤣

Last year on our Princess TA the Captain decided to "run from a storm" by changing course and dropping Casablanca. Many of the passengers were so annoyed that the Captain made a full presentation in the theatre, relayed to every cabin, with maps of the storm, predicted waves/winds etc to explain his reasons. Still passengers said he had made the wrong choice. In the end we had a relatively smooth crossing but every port after Casablanca I.e. all the ones that faced out to the Atlantic, refused to take us. We ended up docked in Southampton a full 24 hours early with the choice of disembarking a day early or staying on the ship but being free to enjoy the port.

Everyone is free to choose whatever cabin, deck etc they like personally we will stick to 7.