HAL CPP Price Increase?

Has the price increased for the HAL Cruise Protection Plans? We have a 7 day Caribbean cruise in November and I just received an email regarding final payment. In the past, we have always purchased the Platinum CPP for $99 per person. I went under "Manage My Cruise" on the website to see about adding it and it shows the price as $329 per person. Below is a screen shot of the price. Has anyone else experienced this? I typically use a HAL PCC to book our cruises, but this one was booked directly through the website.

image.png.be5bc6c05f2e11fe0636fc4c7019ac5c.png

My understanding is that the Cruise Protection Plans prices are based on the price of the cruise and not a set rate.  The higher the cruise fare, the higher the cost for CPP.

• Like 9

@cbr663 is correct.  Here is the wording from the HAL site.

The plan cost is based on the total cruise fare (including Alaska Tour Supplement) paid, and is the same price for all ages.

2 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

My understanding is that the Cruise Protection Plans prices are based on the price of the cruise and not a set rate.  The higher the cruise fare, the higher the cost for CPP.

You are probably correct, but our fare is $798 per person including taxes and port fees. 

4 minutes ago, 510picker said:

You are probably correct, but our fare is $798 per person including taxes and port fees. 

That is truly an expensive insurance premium.  You may want to call HAL to see if it is an error.

6 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

That is truly an expensive insurance premium.  You may want to call HAL to see if it is an error.

My experiences calling HAL in recent years have been less than helpful, and that's putting it nicely. I will just look at outside insurance options instead of calling and getting no where.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 510picker said:

My experiences calling HAL in recent years have been less than helpful, and that's putting it nicely. I will just look at outside insurance options instead of calling and getting no where.

I just checked our Standard premium on a 25-day cruise, and the percentage was .077

(8%)  Using your figures for the Premium = .412.  Even considering that is for a higher priced plan, the $329 looks way off.

Our CCP cost for our 17 day cruise to Hawaii in November is $329 PP. If I remember correctly, wasn’t there a time where 4&5 Star mariners got the CCP as a free upgrade? It is no longer an option. Wondering if I imagined it. 
Denise

• Haha 1

For a 7-day cruise, this price seems out of line.

All the more so because the medical/medivac component of the HAL CPP plans is incidental. I rely on the travel insurance perks associated with our Sapphire Reserve card.

3 minutes ago, dchip said:

If I remember correctly, wasn’t there a time where 4&5 Star mariners got the CCP as a free upgrade? It is no longer an option. Wondering if I imagined it. 

That would be huge!

If's there's any truth to it, I'll be having words with our PCC.

4 hours ago, 510picker said:

Good idea

6 hours ago, 510picker said:

I understand completely.  My recent experience is that sadly, HAL makes it really difficult to book a cruise.

Posted (edited)

CPP cost is dependent upon the cruise cost including flights if you used FE (as well as length).  $798pp cruise fare should not be anywhere near $329pp, even for platinum.  Something is definitely off.

Rather than being subjected to the beat down of a phone call, you may be able to get that resolved using the chat feature. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo

4 hours ago, dchip said:

Our CCP cost for our 17 day cruise to Hawaii in November is $329 PP. If I remember correctly, wasn’t there a time where 4&5 Star mariners got the CCP as a free upgrade? It is no longer an option. Wondering if I imagined it. 
Denise

Isn’t that Princess?  I haven’t sailed Princess in a long while but I think you pay for lesser cancellation program and get free upgrade to the highest level.  We are quite high level in Princess but it has been a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

Isn’t that Princess?  I haven’t sailed Princess in a long while but I think you pay for lesser cancellation program and get free upgrade to the highest level.  We are quite high level in Princess but it has been a few years.

We get the free upgrade on Princess, not on HAL.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

CPP cost is dependent upon the cruise cost including flights if you used FE (as well as length).  $798pp cruise fare should not be anywhere near $329pp, even for platinum.  Something is definitely off.

Rather than being subjected to the beat down of a phone call, you may be able to get that resolved using the chat feature. 

It’s the Cruise Fare, not Flightease or pre- or post- cruise extensions, that CPP is based on. But it covers those components.

From HAL’s site:

What is the cost for CPP?

The plan cost is based on the total cruise fare (including Alaska Tour Supplement) paid, and is the same price for all ages.”

Edited by TiogaCruiser

9 hours ago, 510picker said:

Did you add Have It All package after you purchased the cruise? Have it All must be insured when purchasing HAL's CPP. Many are surprised with that thinking the HIA add on was like purchasing a shore excursion.

Something not right.  Last week I purchased the Platinum Plan for our 21 day cruise.  We are in a Veranda with club orange.  The cost for the two of us was $558.  We did not purchase HIA. 

On 8/9/2024 at 7:46 AM, dchip said:

Denise

I know Princess will upgrade the standard protection to their platinum protection if you are of a certain status. I've never seen it added anywhere as a free upgrade, though.