Guarantee 4A - Best Upgrade?

excitedcruiser

One of our cabins on Conquest was a 4a guarantee and was upgraded to a 6a OV. As of now, the 4a we've booked on Legend has been upgraded to some type of OV - not sure if it's a 5a or 6a. (Conquest doesn't have the 5a's that the Spirit-class has.) Of course, things can change between now and June 29.

By reading these boards you would think that upgrades -everyone seems to get them.

But remember that cruisecritics represents 1% of fellow cruisers.

I booked my first 4 cruises as guarantees and never got one-- not even one deck. reading the boards -whats the odds of that.

Do not book an inside cabin if you are wanting an oceanview. the chance you may not get one will be there.

When is your cruise?

I just had a long discussion yesterday about upgrades on a Conf Call with my TA and the CCL Rep. We were booked 7-9-96 on the Pride with a 4a guarantee.

The rep told us there is about a 75-80%chance you will get upgraded to 4B-4C, a 20% chance to get upgraded to an OV and a 1% chance to get upgraded to a Balcony.

This particular cruise is filling fast, (Inside and OV all booked).

We just decided to bite the bullet and laid out a few more bucks and moved up to 8A.

WOW! What great information. I'm not expecting an OV from an Inside. Just a move up would be nice. Our Carnival TA said we have an 80% chance of moving up. She said that last time also and we did move up. But I'm not holding my breath. Just to be on the ship is enough for me.

By reading these boards you would think that upgrades -everyone seems to get them.

But remember that cruisecritics represents 1% of fellow cruisers.

I booked my first 4 cruises as guarantees and never got one-- not even one deck. reading the boards -whats the odds of that.

Do not book an inside cabin if you are wanting an oceanview. the chance you may not get one will be there.

QUOTE]

The OP asked what is the "best" that you have received, not how often. Usually, any upgrade is location, not inside to OV or balcony (that's wishful thinking)

Serene makes the most important point. Never book a guarantee in a category that you won't be happy in. Then any upgrade is a happy surprise.

In October Of 2005 We Booked A 1a Category After We Were Informed That On The Legend This Category Was The Same As 4a. We Were Upgraded To An 8g!!! This Was Our 3rd Cruise And First With A Balcony!! (extended At That!!) We Loved Having The Balcony! However, I Have To Admit That We Had To Survive Hurricane Wilma In Ft. Lauderdale The Day Before Our Cruise Was To Embark. After The Hurricane Our Cruise Became A 6 Day Cruise Instead Of An 8 Day Cruise With A Different Itinerary. The Boat Was Less Than Full, Which Is Why I Am Sure We Had Such An Unbelievable Upgrade. We Were Compensated For The Shortened Cruise And Change Of Ports But, I Would Choose Next Time To Cancel The Cruise And Forgo The Hurricane!

cruised the glory last oct, booked inside gty 4a....upgraded to i guess it is called 4g..panarama 10th deck! we were tickled pink, just walked out the door a few steps and there was a pool adn chairs! loved it. booked os gty on teh destiny got balcony a few yrs ago..

Friends of ours booked a cruise at the last minute (about 3 weeks before sailing). They were bumped from 4A guanantee to Spa Deck, oceanview, and there was champagne waiting, which had been ordered for the party who had apparently cancelled at the last minute!! What luck:D . We, however, had booked months in advance and did NOT get bumped at all...:( . We DID, however, share the champagne:p .

We, however, had booked months in advance and did NOT get bumped at all...:( . We DID, however, share the champagne:p .

although there is no rythm or reason to who gets upgraded (everyone has their own theories) mine being-- those who paid more will get upgraded first. which for me was always the case. the lowest amount was 250 extra pp savings by the time we sailed

I recently booked a Guarantee 4A Inside for the Conquest. Last time we booked an oceanview on Elation and was upgraded 3 floors. What is the best upgrade someone has gotten from a 4A Inside?

From a 4a to a 9a suite on the Spirit.

Just got an inside on the Lido deck on the Valor, from a 4A GUAR.

My attitude is: don't book a GUAR 4a unless a 4a is what you *want*.

I did not want an Oceaview, and did not give a hoot what deck I was on. I would take any deck, any cabin, and it was a bit exciting looking forward to the excitement.

But to anyone who won't be happy with a 4A - a GUAR is not the way to go. Book what you will be happy with - it's your cruise so make it special!

Archived