Treatment of Passengers

Islandbuoy

Iam reading these treads about poor treatment as well as being held hostage on the ship. Do you get a refund or a voucher when your flight has a mechanical problem? Do you not fly with that airline again if you are delayed ?

We got a $50. voucher each from Air Canada last Sept. when our flight was delayed 5 hours due to mechanical problems, plus a $5. meal voucher (try eating for $5 in the airport :rolleyes: ) We may not need the voucher for a future flight (due to a time limitation), but it was nice of them to give them out, and we will fly that airline again.

It was a long wait in the airport that resulted in our arrival in Barcelona being about 7 hours behind schedule, but we've learned to keep things in perspective.... in the grand scheme of things, a few minor problems are not worth getting too steamed up about. I'd rather put it behind me and go on to enjoy all the wonderful things that occur on a vacation.

Boycotting is as rational as the Mutiny. Stuff happens. I dare you to find a "perfect" cruiseline. They all have their share of issues and things happen. Personally, I've never had a bad experience with Celebrity, and I'm not going to allow the negative attitudes of others drive my vacationing decisions. Quite frankly, even knowing about the pod issues I'd still book Celebrity every time over some of the other Mass Markets.

I travel a lot for business and pleasure. If I tried to get "refunds" for every less than perfect experience I'd practically travel for free. I do however make final decisions for myself. For example, I hate Jamaica. Couldn't pay me to go there. Why? Personal experience. It was the worst vacation I've ever taken. I can list the reasons, but frankly it's doesn't matter to most. I read constantly about people who love that place and I don't begrudge them, nor do I call for a Boycott. I just make my own choice to never go there.

That's what life is about, and aren't we lucky that we have the options and freedom to make our own choices.

We have been treated like royalty on our only two X cruises on Zenith. Celebrity offers everything I want at a price I can afford. It would take something huge happening for me to leave them for another line. Yes, things happen and no vacation is ever perfect. It's all in how you look at it. Last fall we booked Zenith for September. We knew it was hurricane season and last year was the most active year ever...but we took our chances. As it happened, the weather was too rough to sail from Hamilton to St. George so we had to move over to the cargo pier on Wednesday morning (instead of St. George) and tender into Hamilton. We also ended up leaving on Wednesday at 6 pm instead of Thursday at 3pm because of an arriving hurricane. We were not offered anything as compensation. Did we mutiny? Boycott, have a sit-in??? No, we enjoyed an extra sea-day in beautiful weather (after a bumpy night) and had a great time.:)

Seems to me that the current treatment of the passengers on the summit is typical of the "X" corporate attitude of " do it our way or not at all.

Some of us need to tell them how it really is by boycotting ?

Agree? disagree???

This idea doesn't seem to be generating any interest........in fact, reading all the previous posts, it seems people will be glad to not have the hotheads on board.....:)

I say pick your battles......in the scheme of life this all means nothing. A bad cruise will be something you talk about forever...most likely you will end up laughing about it later.

A death of a loved one is what should make you upset......not a cruise that went bad....JMHO

Let me say this about Celebrity. We were on the Mercury on 9/11/2001 in Sitka, AK. We returned to Vancouver and since it was impossible to get out of there because no aircraft were flying they put us up on the Infinity for four days. We were at a commercial pier and Celebrity supplied a bus to get us to and from downtown. They fed us, housed us and provided for our needs all with grace and a positive attitude. When we first arrived a Holland American ship was next to ours. We watched as their passengers were sent off the ship and, as we heard, sent to a tent city at the Vancouver airport while they waited the four days for a flight home. Needless to say, we are big fans of Celebrity. We will be on the Constellation this October for our fourth cruise with them.

I am leaving May 27 on Zenith.Unfortunately this will propbably be my last cruise for a while,due to fact that DH and I can only cruise in summer.It will take us several years to save up for the med cruise of our dreams.We have sailed on Celebrity 7 times and have not had a bad cruise yet.

We Love You Celebrity!!!!!!

Let me say this about Celebrity. We were on the Mercury on 9/11/2001 in Sitka, AK. We returned to Vancouver and since it was impossible to get out of there because no aircraft were flying they put us up on the Infinity for four days. We were at a commercial pier and Celebrity supplied a bus to get us to and from downtown. They fed us, housed us and provided for our needs all with grace and a positive attitude. When we first arrived a Holland American ship was next to ours. We watched as their passengers were sent off the ship and, as we heard, sent to a tent city at the Vancouver airport while they waited the four days for a flight home. Needless to say, we are big fans of Celebrity. We will be on the Constellation this October for our fourth cruise with them.

I had never heard that Celebrity did this for their passengers. We only hear the negative occurances, not the positive.

I had never heard that Celebrity did this for their passengers. We only hear the negative occurances, not the positive.

Celebrity does alot of nice things for people,but lately one seems only to hear negative comments>last year we were booked on Century for a 9 day Carribean cruise Celebrity decided to move the ship.Thanks to my on line friend Kelmac he informed me of the above.I contacted my T/A who immediately contacted Celebrity.They gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.Keep my room on the ship and 100$ on board credit for transfering.Our cruise now was a 12 night Baltic Cruise out of Amsterdam.My T/A teased us we were the only ones she knew who could turn a 10 minute drive into a 10 hour flight.By the way the cruise was fabulous and we were so thrilled to be able to partake in such a wonderful itinerary and cruise.

Wow, I've wondered how 9/11 affected cruises and how it was handled. Yikes, I am a fan of Holland America, but that stinks! Glad to hear your found comfort in a very difficult time.

For the OP, as far as a boycott goes, do what you feel you should, but I won't be joining in.

Boycotting is as rational as the Mutiny. Stuff happens. I dare you to find a "perfect" cruiseline. They all have their share of issues and things happen. Personally, I've never had a bad experience with Celebrity, and I'm not going to allow the negative attitudes of others drive my vacationing decisions. Quite frankly, even knowing about the pod issues I'd still book Celebrity every time over some of the other Mass Markets.

I travel a lot for business and pleasure. If I tried to get "refunds" for every less than perfect experience I'd practically travel for free. I do however make final decisions for myself. For example, I hate Jamaica. Couldn't pay me to go there. Why? Personal experience. It was the worst vacation I've ever taken. I can list the reasons, but frankly it's doesn't matter to most. I read constantly about people who love that place and I don't begrudge them, nor do I call for a Boycott. I just make my own choice to never go there.

That's what life is about, and aren't we lucky that we have the options and freedom to make our own choices.

:D Hi,

GREAT POST

Thank you very much

Cheers

CG

;)

I experienced exactly the same situation on the Infinity about 2 years ago. Skipped ports, shortened port calls, meager refunds. I commented on this board and the majority of the respondents said quit complaining. I did quit complaining and I have quit Celebrity. There are too many other good choices to accept the risks associated with Celebrity. Skipper2004

Funny how this thread which started out as an attempt to bash Celebrity turned into an X love-in.

I'm not saying everything went perfect on our Celebrity cruises, but we'll take the Celebrity treatment any day over what we get in our day-to-day lives.

Chris

The online experience very much outweighs the bad experience that we had, and I will continue to cruise with Celebrity.

Susan...I meant to say the "onboard" experience. LOL It was 4:27 in the morning when I posted. LOL :D

The online experience very much outweighs the bad experience that we had, and I will continue to cruise with Celebrity.

Susan...I meant to say the "onboard" experience. LOL It was 4:27 in the morning when I posted. LOL :D

Oh, I didn't even think of 'onboard' ... I was too busy trying to imagine an online cruise ... something that would be much less expensive and no packing :D

Susan...about the online cruise! I like the part about being less expensive and NO packing! LOL

Hi Brigitte! We could skip the stressful plane ride with an online cruise! LOL :D I think it would definitely have a few advantages. Don't know how we'd smell that fresh ocean air though! LOL

The whole Summit discussion is simply absurd. What a lot of fuss about two missed ports of call. Ridiculous.

No boycotting here. All of my X cruises have been absolutely fabulous. I was on the Millennium cruise earlier this year that experienced the horrendous Chile accident that killed 12 passengers on a private tour, and X handled that situation exceptionally well.

I just booked 3 cruises this week, now that all the new itineraries are available. Aren't the new itineraries amazing? :D

Give me a break! Not my idea of cruising.

The boycotters should do us a favor and boycott everything X (and while they are at it, RCCL as well. Lest they forget that the two are one and the same. Plus, we cruise RCCL as well and might as well get some peace and quiet on those boards before the boycott starts there.) Everything!! Including these boards!! :)

Will this madness ever end?

We have never been treated badly on any of our X cruises. Some cruises have been good, some have been FABULOUS! But at no time, regardless of what occured that impacted the itinerary, have the words mutiny or boycott ever entered our vocabulary or thoughts.

We have sailed a good many other lines, and always come back to X. So for those of you who say "X isn't like it used to be", I say you are probably right. The parameters of cruising have change significantly over the last few years as a result of market demand. Cruises used to cost SIGNIFICANTLY more, and folks cruised a lot less often. Now they are the best vacation value around. Price points have changed, and along with that has come the 'pay for what you use' market philosophy. Frankly, many of the things that people complain about as nickel and diming I don't use anyway, so why pay for it up front and subsidize the cruise of someone else? I don't need unlimited alcohol; the two drinks I buy each evening relaxing with friends before dinner are just fine. I don't gamble, and I don't want a crappy picture of myself from every cruise I take. Just like I don't expect others to subsidize my martinis, acupuncture and spa treatments, I don't expect to subsidize their larger bar bills, specialty restaurant meals, or cruise pictures. What we pay as a baseline cruisefare is very competitive. It really doesn't cost more for an X cruise than any of the other mass market lines, but the service is wonderful and the food offered as a part of that baseline fare is (usually) pretty darn good. And yes, we have occasions when we WANT to have dinner in the specialty restaurant and pop a bunch of corks, but again, I don't mind paying for what we alone use and don't expect that to be borne by other passengers.

I am not an X cheerleader by any means; they have done a lot of screwing up, but they have also made some exemplary calls in some tragic circumstances. X is only a brand; what keeps it humming are human beings, who are not particularly known for perfection. :rolleyes: The naysayers, whiners, and malcontents are Monday morning quarterbacks who lack the skills to take a different pro-active approach to their perceived (and often imaginary) problems.

Overall, I still prefer X and still keep coming back to it after trying other lines. Those who will boycott can take their business to another line and see for themselves that all things are pretty much handled the same from one line to another when a situation arises that is unexpected. Perhaps the flow of information is different, or a particular procedure is different, but the resulting changes are essentially the same. Ultimately, all their bad behavior does is highlight their true colors. I certainly don't want to cruise with them, much less sympathize, socialize, or befriend them. Please, by all means, enjoy your next RCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL, Windjammer, Cunard, P & O, EasyCruise, Oceania, Regent, Orient Line, Crystal, Costa, Disney, MSC, NCL, Seabourn or Silversea cruise more. My sympathies lie with the other passengers and crew who will have to sail with them.

Cheers~

No boycott here. We love Celebrity and I think if you want to boycott please feel free to do so. This is America the land of the free. You are free to go anywhere you want. Personally I do not want to be on a cruise ship with people acting so badly over two missed ports. From what I understand the people who were disgruntled tried to ruin the cruise for everyone else. Maybe they should have been made to pay for all the rest of the passengers cruise passage, as they were the ones ruining the cruise not Celebrity. Pat

I think the term "boycott" is to strong of term for my opinion on the possibility of sailing on an X ship. Would I consider Celebrity for intenaries where I have to fly to the port of embarkation, no I would not. Right now, some of their ships have been repeatedly mechanically unreliable.

Would I consider them for a cruise out of Florida, maybe, as I have more options if they cancel cruise(s) and have fewer sunk costs. Plus if the ship had issues while I was on-board, I would not be upset about missed islands, because I have already been to most of them. The only lingering decision point would be the potential reaction of fellow cruisers on-board if their were mechanical issues.

No boycott here. We love Celebrity and I think if you want to boycott please feel free to do so. This is America the land of the free. You are free to go anywhere you want. Personally I do not want to be on a cruise ship with people acting so badly over two missed ports. From what I understand the people who were disgruntled tried to ruin the cruise for everyone else. Maybe they should have been made to pay for all the rest of the passengers cruise passage, as they were the ones ruining the cruise not Celebrity. Pat

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is cyberspace! :D But I agree that I would not like to sail with any of the Summit mutineers!

Lisa

Archived