Meals to Go?

bepsf

I was just reading this article in the travel section of the NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/28/travel/28prac.html?ex=1149912000&en=47c1f5edc07d62d2&ei=5070

...regarding how hotels are now selling meals for their guests to enjoy on airline flights.

How would you feel if HAL made something like this available for the trip home at the end of the cruise?

Perhaps a few different choices - from deli sandwiches to full meals at various pricepoints - that could be pre-ordered and delivered to your stateroom or picked up from the Lido the morning of disembarcation to enjoy on the planeride/drive home?

Might even be a nice perk for repeat passengers?

That's an idea! Of course, items to go would have to be carefully selected since they won't have the benefit of refrigeration until they are consumed. But that would be nice to have some real food to enjoy on the way home.

I would expect they would have problems with the USDA restriction on imported foods that haven't been inspected. Since most cruise lines have to touch foreign ports because of the Jones Act, it might be difficult to arrange USDA inspection of the ingredients to allow importation of the meals. That's an issue that a US hotel wouldn't be affected by.

It is a shame that hotels or cruises need to pick up the slack from the airlines in this matter. As for the cruise line offering a sack lunch to go, there is the problem if the ship has been out of the US, then you can't bring in food. I remember one of my first Alaskan cruises, there was a trash can off the ship and the officials were asking if anyone had fruit.

I do find it a little ironic that a hotel is offering the sack lunches. A couple of years ago I was at a hotel for lunch. I wanted to take the leftovers home and the hotel made me sign a release that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick. The disclaimer said something to the effect that once the food left the table they would not be responsible for the conditions that the food was kept in. Gee that really instills confedence in the quality of the food.

Carol

Some foods are permitted to be brought into the country by returning passengers; some are not.

It is perfectly fine to bring a muffin, danish, a piece of bread, a peanut butter sandwich.

It is NOT okay to bring any fresh fruit or vegetable; any sandwich meats, salads.

It is HIGHLY unlikely cruiseships are going to deal with this at all. It is just about the last thing they need, IMO.

One more thing to carry---I'm starting to look like a pack horse.

But, if the price can be kept reasonable (more reasonable than those listed in the article) then it could be a good idea.

I've been very fortunate that I haven't need to fly the last few years, but this year the jig is up. I have two cruises that leave from the other coast. Hadn't even thought about the lack of food on those flights. Yikes. :eek:

I always put some whole wheat crackers and a jar of peanut butter in our carryon. I know at the very least, if all else fails, we will have that to 'tide us over'. So much of the junk food they sell in airports is food I don't want to eat. But, in these days of cancelled, delayed and who knows what else flights........ we need to be able to have a little something to eat, just in case.

It is a shame that hotels or cruises need to pick up the slack from the airlines in this matter. As for the cruise line offering a sack lunch to go, there is the problem if the ship has been out of the US, then you can't bring in food. I remember one of my first Alaskan cruises, there was a trash can off the ship and the officials were asking if anyone had fruit.

I do find it a little ironic that a hotel is offering the sack lunches. A couple of years ago I was at a hotel for lunch. I wanted to take the leftovers home and the hotel made me sign a release that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick. The disclaimer said something to the effect that once the food left the table they would not be responsible for the conditions that the food was kept in. Gee that really instills confedence in the quality of the food.

Carol

That is the first I ever heard of a restaurant doing this but in a way I can see their point.

If you take that food from the restaurant , leave it in your car in 90 degree heat and then decide to eat it tomorrow and get deathly ill, they don't want you blameing them for food poisoning for your foolishness.

Not saying you personally would would do that , but you never know what people will do.

I can't believe that I there aren't outlets in the airports that only specialize in box lunches to take onto a flight. I know that you can take the food on from the fast food places but you have to consume it immediately upon boarding or it's cold (needless to say it's smells nasty in a confined space). I would love to be able to purchase a customizable box lunch when I fly.

I just got back from a trip to England and have to say that I have no complaints about the food on Virgin Atlantic Airways. I must admit that I don't remember too well the food on the outgoing trip (L.A. to London), except that I had the beef stew and it was very good. However, on the return trip they fed us just about every two hours. I had the roast chicken and roast potatoes for dinner and it was excellent. Two hours later they came by with ice cream bars. Two hours after that they served very good pannini sandwiches and a couple of hours before landing they came around with yet more sandwiches. All very good.

As far as HAL offering MRE's it sounds good to me although, as pointed out several times, there would have to be restrictions on what HAL could offer.

I doubt that we could get lobster tails, filet mignons or chocolate volcano cakes though, more's the pity.:D

Valerie:)

I can't believe that I there aren't outlets in the airports that only specialize in box lunches to take onto a flight. I know that you can take the food on from the fast food places but you have to consume it immediately upon boarding or it's cold (needless to say it's smells nasty in a confined space). I would love to be able to purchase a customizable box lunch when I fly.

On our flight to San Diego for our April Oosterdam cruise, we had a layover at Chicago's O'Hare airport. There were several restaurants in the food court that did, indeed, seem to specialize in takeout meals for consumption on the next leg of your flight. The prices were outrageous. I joked about it later, saying that I had never before seen a McDonalds with a loan officer.

I'm not sure that it would be practical to try to keep hot food hot, even for the relatively short time that it would take to go from the food court to the gate. Some of the lines in those places can get pretty long. If you get in line before they start boarding your flight, chances are the food will be cold anyway before you get settled in your seat and start eating. Then, you have to wait until you are airborn to be allowed to use the tray-table. If you get in line for your food after they begin boarding, you will be cutting it pretty close. If the line is long, or the service is slow, and you have a long walk to your gate, you risk missing your flight. Better to stick something that can be eaten cold or hot.

Paul Noble

HAL could offer the service once you left the ship and were in the terminal, that way they could get away from the prohibited items because they'd not be coming off the ship. Having said that, I have enough to cart around with fussing with a box lunch so we'd probably pass on the opportunity even if offered. I know here in San Antonio many of the food places in the airport offer some kind of flight meal (salads, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, etc.) and we'll eat in some of them occasionally before we get on a flight but rarely take stuff on the plane.

I just got back from a trip to England and have to say that I have no complaints about the food on Virgin Atlantic Airways. I must admit that I don't remember too well the food on the outgoing trip (L.A. to London), except that I had the beef stew and it was very good. However, on the return trip they fed us just about every two hours. I had the roast chicken and roast potatoes for dinner and it was excellent. Two hours later they came by with ice cream bars. Two hours after that they served very good pannini sandwiches and a couple of hours before landing they came around with yet more sandwiches. All very good.

Valerie:)

US air carriers no longer provide any food on board domestic flights to any passengers other than first class. It isn't a question of how good or bad the food is, it is NO food.

I think some airlines might offer being able to pre-order some sort of snack/meal and they bring the box lunch on board??? I'm not sure any details abpout it and reallyu wouldn't be all the interested. We've learned to provide for ourselves.

There are times if people have close connections in various airports they simply do not have time to get any food. It is all they can do to get off the one flight and rush throught the airport to the next gate. If they stop to eat, they miss their plane.

We always try to fly domestically on Midwest Airlines.

They offer very good boxed breakfast, lunches or dinners on board for $5-10.00.

Along with their wide seats and great service. :)

US air carriers no longer provide any food on board domestic flights to any passengers other than first class. It isn't a question of how good or bad the food is, it is NO food.

We've learned to provide for ourselves.

We were lucky enough to get a free bump to First Class a few months ago on Delta. In First Class we got the same snack options as coach only you could get 2 if you wanted. Basically the choices were cheese crackers, pretzels and granola bars. We were on 2 short flights, the longest being about 90 mins between Dayton Beach and Washington DC.

I thought the food ruling was you got food if the flight was over 3 hours - ie travelling coast to coast.

We have always brought our own when we have the time. I have seen over the last few years several airports that sell salads and cold sandwiches to go. In Memphis you can get a great BBQ sandwich to go.

I thought the food ruling was you got food if the flight was over 3 hours - ie travelling coast to coast.

I think that's correct. Although on my last west-to-east flight on Delta, the 'food' we were given was a small thing of spreadable cheese, two crackers, oreos, and raisins. NOT a meal by any means. My husband travels for a living, and he often doesn't have time to grab anything between flights so he carries granola bars, raisins, and nuts in his bag in case he doesn't get his free upgrade to first class. :D When I'm with him and dragging him down to coach, we almost always try to purchase a sandwich at the airport before we leave and save it for during the flight. The same for the return.

We are flying to Hawaii for a conference next week, and I'll be curious to see what kind of 'food' is served on that flight. You'd think at $900 for a coach ticket, some kind of meal would be served but who knows these days. (Thank goodness the company is paying!)

We'd love to see a box-lunch kind of thing offered at the end of a cruise to save the trouble of purchasing something at the airport.

Robin

When ever possible, we try to stop at a "sandwich" or deli place, the night before our flight and get sandwiches. Then, we store them in an insulated cooler in our car's trunk and pack them in a carryon in the AM. With several large ice packs, the food stays cold, and stays that way for several hours, even in the carryons. If we have room, I slip in one of the small cold packs into the sandwich bag in the carry-on, which helps keep the sandwiches cool.

Re: flight to Hawaii and food. We are traveling there in Nov. via United and according to their information, no food, other than the usual pretzel/crackers snacks, is served in coach--that is for the flight from LAX to KOA. Fortunately, we arrive about lunch time--Hawaii-time, but will pack along some sandwiches, since we will be 3 hrs. past that, according to our departure time.

US air carriers no longer provide any food on board domestic flights to any passengers other than first class.

And more often than not, no food in first class either, unless you count the basket of snacks they pass around. On our last 4 flights to Mexico, all in first class, 2 on Delta and 2 on USAirways, no food has been served in first class except snacks. I was also told they will soon discontinue movies as well. My DH is diabetic, and we learned long ago to carry our own food...........jean:cool:

US air carriers no longer provide any food on board domestic flights to any passengers other than first class.

And more often than not, no food in first class either, unless you count the basket of snacks they pass around. On our last 4 flights to Mexico, all in first class, 2 on Delta and 2 on USAirways, no food has been served in first class except snacks. I was also told they will soon discontinue movies as well. My DH is diabetic, and we learned long ago to carry our own food...........jean:cool:

Just like food we bring our own DVD movies. I have a one input cord which splits up to 3 ways so 3 people can listen at the same time. 3 people watching one movie on a plane is a bit much but it works very well for 2 people.

For food I like to get something exocitc like Sushi or Thai take out. If it's really messy I eat it before boarding. For the Sushi, I pick it up near the office and put it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes then wrap in newpaper. It will stay cold for quite some time and makes a great lunch or dinner and all the people around me are drooling - even the flight attendants.:D

I think some airlines might offer being able to pre-order some sort of snack/meal and they bring the box lunch on board??? I'm not sure any details abpout it and reallyu wouldn't be all the interested. We've learned to provide for ourselves.

There are times if people have close connections in various airports they simply do not have time to get any food. It is all they can do to get off the one flight and rush throught the airport to the next gate. If they stop to eat, they miss their plane.

Flew Continental back and forth LAX-Newark and then on to Amsterdam in the last two weeks. On the domestic portion in coach, got a hot cheese sandwich, a bag of chips and a cookie, yeah baby!

How would you feel if HAL made something like this available for the trip home at the end of the cruise?

Perhaps a few different choices - from deli sandwiches to full meals at various pricepoints - that could be pre-ordered and delivered to your stateroom or picked up from the Lido the morning of disembarcation to enjoy on the planeride/drive home?

LOL ... not me. By the time I disembark a cruise ... especially a long HAL one ... I've had enough of that good food and just want some good old Mickey Dee's before I board the plane for my flight home. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm not sure I would trust HAL to provide food off-ship. I remember in the Western Caribbean we were put on a tender at Playa del Carmen for a shore excursion while the ship went on to Cozumel. We sat in the hot tender for an hour because HAL had put fruit in the box lunches and it had to be taken out.....couldn't go into Mexico with it.

Alaska Airlines still is pretty good about food (in First) and has snacks in coach. United will sell you snack boxes. At DIA, they sell "To Go" food, but you pay two prices (at least). Also, most folks get on with McD's, and the plane reeks of fries. :)

Seattle airport has a new great food court called Pacific Marketplace. Wonderful variety, but the only down side is that at mealtimes there are not enough places to sit. Love the Ivar's chowder in a bread bowl!

Archived