Luggage ready by 5pm on last night

JackieB

My family was on the CB this past summer and I foud it very interesting that they ask for luggage to be in the hallways by 5pm.

Our prior cruises have been on RCCI and Celebrity and they ask for luggage by midnight.

There are two things wrong with the 5pm timing:

1- Shorts are still not allowed in the Dining Rooms on that last night. So, you are faced with wearing long pants as you debark to a hot port. (Or, having excessive clothing stored in your carry-on.)

2- Wheelchair, walker and other handicapped people had a very hard time negotiaring the hallways that were full of luggage as they worked their way to the Dining Rooms and other facilities.

While we enjoyed our cruise immensely, I think the 5pm luggage is a problem.

I did let that be known when we filled out our comment cards. What do you guys think?

Jack

We always have traditional late seating, and no matter what time they ask for luggage to be out, we usually wait until after dinner to put our luggage out and have never had a problem. On most of our cruises, they ask for luggage to be out by 10:00pm.

LOL, sorry, but I have to laugh at that one. We also saw that requested on the Caribbean Princess both times we sailed on her. I think that is to sucker in new cruisers so they will get their luggage out in the hallway real early. We saw a few putting their bags out at 5:00 and even before.

We put ours out at the normal time, between after dinner and 10:00 PM. Never had a problem with it.

I admit, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen a cruise ship request. Nodoby but a newbie would put out their luggage before they went to dinner, that is just plain ridiculous.

Well, I'm not a newbie but I did as they asked (gotta try to be helpful) and stopped what we were doing,packed,put all our luggage out and guess what? It was still sitting in the hallway when we came back late that evening......... DUH.:D

I think the 10 PM rule is probably a good one; especially for the late seating for dinner. I have also seen pax put luggage out later than that. They'll take it no matter what time you put it out. 5PM is absolutely ridiculous.

I always try to have my luggage out by 10pm. However, on the Dawn in March I did not get my luggage out until 1am and guess what, they took it. Rude of me and I don't suggest it, but your luggage will be taken no matter what time you put it out.

Barbara

I admit, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen a cruise ship request. Nodoby but a newbie would put out their luggage before they went to dinner, that is just plain ridiculous.

I’ve put my luggage out before I go to dinner on each of my 17 Princess cruises plus three on other cruise lines. I don’t want to have to hassle with it later and I pack what I wear that night in my carry on the next morning.

My family was on the CB this past summer and I foud it very interesting that they ask for luggage to be in the hallways by 5pm.

Our prior cruises have been on RCCI and Celebrity and they ask for luggage by midnight.

There are two things wrong with the 5pm timing:

1- Shorts are still not allowed in the Dining Rooms on that last night. So, you are faced with wearing long pants as you debark to a hot port. (Or, having excessive clothing stored in your carry-on.)

2- Wheelchair, walker and other handicapped people had a very hard time negotiaring the hallways that were full of luggage as they worked their way to the Dining Rooms and other facilities.

While we enjoyed our cruise immensely, I think the 5pm luggage is a problem.

I did let that be known when we filled out our comment cards. What do you guys think?

Jack

The same was requested on the 9/16 sailing. There was not much luggage in the hall when we returned from dinner. Actually, it did not effect us as we chose to take our own luggage when disembarking--saved a lot of time!

Well it is my cruise and I will put my luggage out when I want. :eek:

We usually put it out after the late show. We do late traditional, go to the show, check email, then head back to the room. We are pretty organized so just have to finish last minute packing, and then put it out. :D

It has always been there on the dock the next morning. ;)

On our last cruise, I was shocked when we were asked to put the luggage out by 6 (or was it 8?). Especially as it was a port day. When I finally finished packing (hubby did his earlier but with three of us, only one was able to do it at a time), we looked out of our door and the hallway was filled with luggage. No place to put it. So we waited a while until the luggage was cleared out and then put ours out. Maybe the halls got too filled with luggage at 11 before so this is a new ploy to take care of this problem.

On our 1st 2 Prin cruises, the time for luggage was around dinner time -- it made for an miserable afternoon because I had a very hard time figuring out what to pack & what to keep out -- back then DH & I had some awful fights cause he was so afraid if it didn't get put out, he would have to lug it off!!!! LOL I really liked it when on RC it had to be out by 1 AM!!! I'd let DH fall asleep & then I'd finish the packing....

In order to put off the awful chore of packing, we book longer & longer cruises or back-2-back cruises!!!

I think some people may have misread or misinterpreted what they meant.

Quoting directly from the info that was provided to us....

Baggage Collection (commences 6pm Friday)

..we would request you put out the majority of your baggage before you proceed to dinner.....The remainder of your luggage should be placed outside your stateroom at your earliest convenience after dinner...

Nowhere does it say you need to have your luggage out by 6. In fact, if you have late dinner they aren't even asking for ANY of your luggage until 8pm or so. In our case, we put one large suitcase out at 8 and our other three bags at about 11, when we returned from dinner.

This is a perfect example of people reading the "headline" and not the substance of the information.

I think the 10 PM rule is probably a good one; especially for the late seating for dinner. I have also seen pax put luggage out later than that. They'll take it no matter what time you put it out. 5PM is absolutely ridiculous.

Not exactly true Lynda. I don't know how late they put it out, but we noticed on Caribbean Princess in April that our across the hall neighbors had their luggage out (alone) in the hall when we got up at 6 am. I guess they put it out too late, because it definitely wasn't picked up. I bet they had a rude awakening when they got up and left their cabin... only to discover they were lugging it all off themselves! :eek:

We usually get ours out before midnight, but not before dinner for sure.

Keith - go to your room! :)

When we were on CB in Sept. we actually went and asked about it... we're not 'newbie' cruisers, but it has been a while and a lot's changed since our last cruises... basically, we just wanted to see if denim would be overlooked (not in the dining room, don't worry ;) ) on that last night (the answer is yes, to anyone else wondering ;) ).

We were told:

Luggage collection will BEGIN at 5:00 p.m. and continue until 11:00 p.m. Anything you still have inside your cabin at 11:00, you'll be carrying off.

We figured we might as well do the majority of the packing before dinner and then be able to relax and get a good night's sleep after dinner, so that's exactly what we did. I think we had our cases out at about 6:00... and they were gone by the time we got back from dinner.

On CB they definitely said that luggage should be in hallways at 6pm- they played it all day on the tv- the reason they gave was because pax had complained of their sleep being disturbed on the last night by luggage handling (during the night)and they played that over and over and over ........it was the first time I had ever packed that early.

When we were on CB in Sept. we actually went and asked about it... we're not 'newbie' cruisers, but it has been a while and a lot's changed since our last cruises... basically, we just wanted to see if denim would be overlooked (not in the dining room, don't worry ;) ) on that last night (the answer is yes, to anyone else wondering ;) ).

We were told:

Luggage collection will BEGIN at 5:00 p.m. and continue until 11:00 p.m. Anything you still have inside your cabin at 11:00, you'll be carrying off.

We figured we might as well do the majority of the packing before dinner and then be able to relax and get a good night's sleep after dinner, so that's exactly what we did. I think we had our cases out at about 6:00... and they were gone by the time we got back from dinner.

We were also on CB last month and I am typing this exactly as it reads on the disembarkation Info Sheet:We would request your help in placing the majority of your baggage outside your stateroon from 5:00 this evening(before you proceed to dinner).The remainder of your luggage should be placed outside your stateroom at your earliest convenience after dinner.Baggage placed outside your stateroom on the final morning will not be picked up and it will have to be carried ashore by yourself and will be subject to inspection by U.S.Customs.No mention of 11:00.We have had ours picked up as late as 3:00 AM.

We usually put a few bags out early, but save one until later in the evening for the last minute stuff.

This is what we did also. Put most of them out earlier and saved one for later with dinner clothes and last minute items.

Archived