Do you get your Passport stamped?

JolleyRoger

DW and I have never been out of the counrty... and have just recieved our first Passport. Do any cruisers here get their PP stamped at Ports of Call?
Speaking for the Caribbean countries, most islands you walk off to, no one even looks at your passport, usually just your cruise card. Generally, you are encouraged to leave your passport in your safe with other valubles when you leave the ship in a foreign country.

I've never had mine stamped in the Caribbean, but I did get it stamped once upon return to the US at Port Canaveral... go figure! My daughter always complains that she's been to so many "countries" in the Caribbean, but her passport has never been stamped. Hopefully that will be rectified when we fly to Italy! :)

We have found that the easy way to get your passport stamp is to ask the guard at the dock where to get your passport stamped. They have always directed us to a small office somewhere around the port where you can get such a stamp. On some of the islands they will write souvenir across the stamp, on others it is just the stamp. But we have never had any problem in getting the stamp. All we had to do was ask.

Mike

It seems so sad that more and more of the traditional things have been overtaken by technology.:(

Yes even in OZ they no longer stamp your passport

To officialdom your Passport is just a license to travel...whereas to the traveller it is a "log Book" to be cherished as a reminder of where you have been.

There have been many times I have referred to my Passport to obtain dates etc of when I travelled - necessary to complete the inundation of Govt forms etc that now encroach on our lives!

I predict that within 5 years Passports wil be superceded by electronic smart cards - great for efficiency and security but so sad for memorabilia.

cheers

Generally, you are encouraged to leave your passport in your safe with other valubles when you leave the ship in a foreign country.

Well, that's not exactly a good idea. You should at the very least take a photo copy of your passport.

If the ship leaves you behind for any reason you will need your passport to get out of the country you are in. If you at least have a copy you can go to the American Embassy and apply for a new one. :eek:

The only time we have had our passports stamped (our second renewals) was when we flew into different countries for our cruise. Australia, Tahiti, Europe, etc. Never have had it stamped while boarding a cruise in the US where we didn't have to fly to a different country first.

One good thing about renewing your passport, they send back the old ones, so you can keep them to see what the dates on the stamps are, just to settle those little disagreements years down the road as to when we went where. :)

Times may have changed but years ago we took a trip flying into Germany and then driving through Austria, Italy, Liechtenstein and Switzerland and no where did they, nor would they, stamp our passports. Very disappointing! :( Two years following that we flew into Amsterdam spent a few days then down to Greece to pick up a cruise that included Turkey, same situation, no stamps. Guess all those European countries were saving money on not buying ink. And, never on a Princess cruise, although several have involved Central and South America has anyone ever bothered to really look at our passports much less stamp them.

YES, YES, YES.... on one cruise I went to the customs office in every port and got mine stamped. Some are very beautiful. (Grand Cayman) At every port of entry there is a customs office on the pier, just ask any official and they will direct you. I found all of the agents very friendly and happy to stamp my passport. I got Aruba, Jamaica, Curacao & Grand Cayman so far.

I got my passport in 1998 and in those early years got so many passport stamps (largely from cruises) that I had to order extra pages (some of these were to accomodate full page visas...very pretty, some of those). The best was from my 28 night cruise around the southern tip of South America in 2002...Celebrity collected our passports and held on to them the entire time. When we got them back, we had multiple stamps in them...in every port, someone from that country had come on board and stamped every passport. Pre-EU, we used to get them more in Europe. Now it's getting much rarer...I suspect I will never have to get extra pages added again. :( And I've never gotten one in the Caribbean (but love the 'seeking out the customs office' idea)...but did still get one in Australia last spring.

The last three times we returned to the USA, no stamps from US Immigration; they just slid the passport through the machine reader.

Like a previous poster, it looks like we will not have to have extra pages added to our passports.

We haven't yet had a passport stamped whole on an ocean cruise.

However, they are routinely stamped during land and river boat trips. Passports were kept by the front office during our Danube River cruise and they were stamped in each country visited.

I kept one outdated passport because it has my favorite. A Glacier Bay stamp done on board Veendam by the Park Rangers. That's a keeper!

I just renewed my passport and was happy that they return the old one. We have dozens of stamps from all over the world, most of them from cruises. Of course, they aren't all new, but some are. When you fly to another country to join a cruise, you usually get a stamp. And sometimes when Princess holds onto your passport during a cruise, you find stamps you didn't have when you first gave it to them.

We rented a car in Skagway, Alaska to drive to Emerald Lake which is in Canada. When we crossed the border into Canada, they stamped our passports with the picture of a train that says "Skagway, Alaska under it. A very nice stamp and so far the only one I have.

I had mine stamped at every port on our Southern Caribbean cruise this past January. You just drop off your passport at the pursers desk and at each port someone from immigration comes aboard who will stamp it. None of mine were that pretty...just an ink pad type stamp, but it does include the date you were there which will help me remember my trips when I'm sitting in my rocking chair in a few years!

I've sailed the Caribbean on my own sailboat and had my passport stamped every time, at every new island/country.

On cruise ships, other than US Immigration, nobody stamps you Passport.

You are right, they will NOT stamp it on the cruise ship. I have asked. You need to go to the customs office on the pier while in port.

And sometimes when Princess holds onto your passport during a cruise, you find stamps you didn't have when you first gave it to them.

Hey - that is true !!! I just pulled out my passport and found stamps for two mid-cruise ports when the ship held on to our passports during the cruises -- Bilbao and Rhodes. I hadn't even thought to look for them.

Also, the only port where I have gotten my passport stamped when I had to show the passport when entering the country is St Petersburg (twice both getting off the ship and getting back on).

I don't think that we have had our passport stamped on a cruise in some time. There are some places that you do not want a stamp and if necessary they give you a sheet of paper with a stamp on it. Happened to us a few time going back and forth from Turkey -Greece and in Cuba.

Archived