Meal Portion Sizes

Giorgi-one

This is not a criticism of any particular ship or line. IMHO, portion sizes on most cruise ships are small. Many people react to this problem by ordering two dinner entrees or two appetizers, etc. I have heard some people criticize this practice. However, there is one simple fact to remember. You cannot possibly satisfy everyone's appetite with a single portion size. Passengers on cruise ships range from 300 lb men to 90 lb women, and you cannot expect these two extremes, and everyone in-between, to eat the same amount of food.

The same problem exists at land-based restaurants. In some cases, mostly steak houses, you can custom order the size of meat on your entree. Most other land-based restaurants handle this problem by serving everyone large portions which allows those who eat less to take home doggie-bags.

Most cruise ships use the opposite approach and serve relatively small portions permitting, but not necessarily approving, those with larger appetites to order multiple entrees.

Why not just control portion size based on the request of the passengers? Offer both large and small portions for all entrees. It is no big deal for the cooks to add an extra piece of meat and some vegetables to make a large entree. Seems like this would be a lot more efficient than asking the waiters to pick up and serve multiple dishes.

I would disagree. From a logistical, food ordering and preparation standpoint, one size of meat cut works easiest and best. What if you run out of smaller portions and just have large ones left? The large ones go mostly uneaten, so you've wasted more in inventory than you have in labor to go back and get another serving for the hungry passenger.

I'm a big guy -- (gasp!) -- but I, for one, really like the smaller portions. For one thing, it gives me a chance to try several different entree options. :) For another, it helps me to control how much I eat. On a cruise that can become critical.

I used to be very overweight, then went on Weight Watchers and took off 75 pounds. One thing I learned is that most restaurants in this country tend to serve large portions, larger than we need. I would polish off whatever was put in front of me, regardless of whether I was hungry. I now find that by eating slower I'm satisfied with smaller portions, and no longer have that uncomfortable "too full" feeling.

As far as I'm concerned I prefer the smaller portions. When there is something I really want some more of (lobster tails) I'll just order more.

Giorgi, I know this doesn't answer your original question. I just thought I'd put my two cents in regarding portion size. Although I do agree with jhannah that it would be logistically difficult.

BTW, when we go to Olive Garden you can order their lunch portions during dinner hours. They're a little bit less money, but you still get the salad and breadsticks and we find that the portion does not seem any smaller. Probably the logistical difficulty for the kitchen to remember to make a portion lunch sized.

I would polish off whatever was put in front of me, regardless of whether I was hungry. I now find that by eating slower I'm satisfied with smaller portions, and no longer have that uncomfortable "too full" feeling.

Precisely! My mother used to remind me of all the starving people in China and I would finish everything put in front of me, like a good little boy. Never mind that my eating all of my steamed okra (vomit!) didn't do a thing to help the children in China ... it just made me bigger. :)

Precisely! My mother used to remind me of all the starving people in China and I would finish everything put in front of me, like a good little boy. Never mind that my eating all of my steamed okra (vomit!) didn't do a thing to help the children in China ... it just made me bigger. :)
Greg,

If all I was overeating was steamed okra, I would not have had a weight problem.;)

I'm a "big guy" but I think the portions on cruise ships are very nice. There is no point in stuffing yourself. Order another portion if your're still hungry or there is always another meal coming along.

Why not just control portion size based on the request of the passengers? Offer both large and small portions for all entrees. It is no big deal for the cooks to add an extra piece of meat and some vegetables to make a large entree. Seems like this would be a lot more efficient than asking the waiters to pick up and serve multiple dishes.
I think that this is probably incompatible with the way that most ship galleys work.

As I understand the usual system, the cooks don't respond to orders from the tables in any way. They are just pushing out hundreds of plates of each menu item. The waiter, who does know what his table has ordered, basically goes to collect as many as he needs of each of the ordered items - a bit like going into a mammoth self-service restaurant.

If you had large and small portions of each menu item, you basically double the number of items that the cooks have to prepare, and double the number of items which the waiter may have to collect. Logistically, there may not be enough resources or space to do that.

Hi all, so just curious, ( I will be a first time cruiser) If that is the case with the cooks,then you can not order your meat cooked as you like?? Meaning I will not eat meat the sqirts-or moves so I would need my meat med well to well done. The waiter wouldn't be the one to take care of that, It would be the cook right?? Do they send all meat out cooked the same ??:)

I think it is good to have small portions as many are on diets or medical conditions that require this (diabetics). They know it is only one serving which helps them to calculate what they need without having to guess, is this 1, 1 1/2, 2 or more.

My son likes to have extra portions on some items. The way he handled this was to tell the waiter to please bring a double order of the meat or potatoes or whatever item he wanted extra. We noticed on one night that he did not do this, that the server went ahead and ordered extra prime rib for him. No dirty looks, just a "no problem sir".

We liked having that flexibility.

By the time I have a appetizer, soup and salad, I don't need a big portion of the main course. What's nice is I can have room for dessert sometimes or wait and have a treat later in the evening.

Congrats on the weight loss Marc! 75lbs is a wonderful accomplishment! Counting those points has paid off big time!

I don't usually have a 5-course meal at home (LOL), nor do I cook with a lot of butter, cream, etc. So the small portions suit me just fine. Sometimes at dinner I don't order all the courses, especially if there isn't a soup or appetizer that really floats my boat (or ship).

The main thing is to leave enough room for dessert!

Orcrone, congratulations on your weight loss! I lost 70 lbs. with Weight Watchers in 1978 and am still at my goal weight. I agree, most people don't realize that the "small" portions we're served on cruise ships are actually normal, or what normal used to be before supersizing.

Roz

Back when they used to give galley tours, I always took them. It clears up that it would be impossible to do varying sizes of each entre. THey way that they are prepared plated and stationed would be unworkable.

That said, am I correct in assuning that it is still easier on the waitstaff to place the extra orders all at once ?

On RCI the waiter had to go back to stand in a big line to get more lobsters which meant that they couldnt be waiting on their other tables !

Hi all, so just curious, ( I will be a first time cruiser) If that is the case with the cooks,then you can not order your meat cooked as you like?? Meaning I will not eat meat the sqirts-or moves so I would need my meat med well to well done. The waiter wouldn't be the one to take care of that, It would be the cook right?? Do they send all meat out cooked the same ??:)

No, they do not send all the meat out cooked the same. You can order your meat the way you like it. If it is not cooked enough for your taste, just point it out to your waiter and he will bring you another. I have never had a problem when orderding steak. It was always the way I ordered it. :)

Ditto on Roadwork's comments. I never had any problems getting a steak or prime rib the way I ordered it.

Roz,

I don't always order everything either and like to save room for dessert. Sometimes I order soup and skip the salad or appetizer. I seldom have all 5 courses.

I would need my meat med well to well done. The waiter wouldn't be the one to take care of that, It would be the cook right?? Do they send all meat out cooked the same ??:)
A bit of both, really. The cooks try to do a pile of plates of rare meat, a pile of medium rare, a pile of medium, etc. but it's actually up to your waiter to pick up a plate from the correct pile.

The one thing that doesn't happen is you ordering a medium well steak and the cook in the galley saying, "OK, one medium well steak coming up". Ship galleys just don't work like that.

A bit of both, really. The cooks try to do a pile of plates of rare meat, a pile of medium rare, a pile of medium, etc. but it's actually up to your waiter to pick up a plate from the correct pile.

We once had the opportunity to be in the galley with the Executive Chef when dinner was being served. We went during first seating and watched as the stewards came through the line to pick up first their appetizers, then soups etc

It was one of the most fascinating things we have been treated to viewing while on a ship.

It truly is an assembly line where the Chefs have all the dishes prepared and in place as the stewards arrive to pick up each course. Steward picks up well done, medium rare....whatever has been requested.

They then ride a steep, very narrow elevator back up to the dining room carrying these heavily loaded trays. (This was on a Statendam class ship).

We got to view all of the refrigeration spaces, the food storage system is positively mind boggling.

We saw the bakery where all those yummies are prepared. Pastry chef was getting breakfast rolls ready for baking when we were there.

Amazing......

I feel the same way you do, but I somtimes get tired of waiters giving me dirty looks. And sometimes, I just like more of the same thing like filets, rack of lamb, lobster tails, etc.

I agree - I would rather they serve a larger portion than making you ask for two. What I really hate though is when the waiter brings two dinners - I don't necessarily want two dinners - just an extra entree. I tell them this the few times I request it - but no luck - still two entrees. My guess its easier for them becuase they just pick up another pre-made tray. But thats a waste as well of the side dishes

Yea - I hate meat that Moo's as well. But usually I haven't had a problem getting a medium well steak

Roz and Maureen - Thanks for the encouragement.:) It was something I should have done a long time ago.

Roz - 26 years at goal. I've always felt that losing the weight is easier than keeping it off. That is something you have to be real proud of. Back then the WW system was not nearly as good as it is now (remember powdered milk?)

Archived