Royal Caribbean vs Carnival

It's just a joke - at least for me, and I'm sure for everyone else that says it. Just needling the type who criticize Carnival - or any other line for that fact- but have never sailed with them, just to get a rise out of them. It's actually amusing to see the reactions.

That said, the Nathan's dogs in the Seaview on Serenade were better than the ones at Conquest's grill. So I guess it evens out.;)

Been on Carnival & Norwegian 5 times & had a great time on all cruises. Sure I liked some things better than others but no big deal about any of it. Each ship is different. Can't judge a cruise line by one cruise. Find the food better on Carnival, except for the Norwegian Sun - food was great. Enjoy free-style dining but traditional dining is fine. Like entertainment better on Carnival, but just my opinion. Favorite ship so far is Norwegian Sun with Carnival Conquest a close second. Will cruise on both lines anytime - enjoy them both. Have lst RCI schedule in Dec. so can't wait to compare.

I personally like the carnival conguest better than Royal Caribbeans ships. I have been on both, but the price for a balcony room is cheaper and nicer than on the RC. I like the entertainment and food better on carnival also. I found the royal caribbean ship the be packed and could never get on the ice skating rink. I would always recommend carnival.

Been on Carnival & Norwegian 5 times & had a great time on all cruises. Sure I liked some things better than others but no big deal about any of it. Each ship is different. Can't judge a cruise line by one cruise. Find the food better on Carnival, except for the Norwegian Sun - food was great. Enjoy free-style dining but traditional dining is fine. Like entertainment better on Carnival, but just my opinion. Favorite ship so far is Norwegian Sun with Carnival Conquest a close second. Will cruise on both lines anytime - enjoy them both. Have lst RCI schedule in Dec. so can't wait to compare.

Which ship are you sailing with Royal Caribbean? You may have a hard time going back to Carnival.:)

I personally like the carnival conguest better than Royal Caribbeans ships. I have been on both, but the price for a balcony room is cheaper and nicer than on the RC. I like the entertainment and food better on carnival also. I found the royal caribbean ship the be packed and could never get on the ice skating rink. I would always recommend carnival.

Cheaper and you get what you pay for. I have never seen so many Big Johnson t shirts along with cut off jeans as on Carnival.

I would not sail again on a Carnival ship unless it was 100% free and all I had to do was walk to the end of my driveway to board it.

That being said, I might miss the bigger rooms.... RCI wins hands down in my opinion if nothing other than the service! The thing I missed most when I was on the Carnival Liberty was the friendly smiles and "my pleasure" that you get everywhere on RCI.

JMO :D

Laura

The difference= CCL Atrium vs RCI Promenade if that your thing.

Food, CCL, Lunch, Deli, hambergers, chinese, seafood, Pizza all fresh made for you much better then RCI, the rest is the same. RCI most food was in heated pans looked like from yesterday.

CCL rooms bigger then RCI unless you pay , pay ,pay.more then CCL.

Entertainment , both the same , unless you like ice skateing.

Price, If you do your homework you can do 14 days in a balcony with CCL for the price of 7 days with RCI. (military) I have done it and will again.

Misc problems, they both have them.

Ok, RC gets my vote, hands down!! I love RC!! :D

I've been on RCI, Carnival, Celebrity and Regal...gasp! Regal? This is a cruise line that went out of business a few years back and now runs as the Imperial Majesty out of Ft. Lauderdale. I live in Florida, and it's a $148 weekend trip to Nassau. Where I live, you couldn't get a hotel for 2 nights and food for the weekend for that little (that probably applies most states?) So a friend and I decided to go on it, just for transportation and a weekend getaway. It's an OLD tiny ship, lot's of old wood and wooden decking. Tiny cabins too! The food was "edible", ok it was food. What I learned at dinner was priceless. We were talking to the other couples at the table, and none of them had been on any other "cruises". Most had "won" this cruise through timeshare presentations. Most of them loved it and one woman had asked the usual questions "first cruise?" etc. Then it hit me, they had NOTHING to compare it to and were loving it! I was loving it anyway because I was thinking "where can I sleep and eat this much for 148 bucks?". She had asked if this was a typical ship, typical cruise and my answer was not really, BUT (horse and buggy vs super stretch limo, trust me on that)....it's still a great time! I learned, it's all about personal perspective. These people would be going home talking about their GREAT cruise. What an eye opener! (I would go again just for transportation to Atlantis).

For the complete package, service, ship quality and a real VACATION experience, I'm a comitted RCCL cruiser. Oh, by the way...they have pizza? :D We're leaving on our honeymoon 2 weeks from today on the Navigator, I'll check it out then! WOHOO!

The Wagners

Carnival doesn't have anything in the current fleet to compare to a Voyager Class Ship. It's like comparing the Holiday Inn to the Hyatt Regency. I've been on Voyager twice and am going on Mariner in December. The Ice Show on this class ship is spectacular. So is the Royal Promenade with the shops and bars.The 3 story dining room is eye popping. Different strokes for different folks though. If a longneck and dip is more your style with a party hard desire stick with Carnival. If you are looking for a more sophisticated experience try RCCL.

nothing like an unbiased opinion. I realize this is the RCI board but give me a break.:rolleyes:

Bill

I've only been on 1 RC cruise Rhapsody a couple years ago.

We are going on Splendour Nov 30

Rhapsody June 3.

I've had people that I've known go on both. I can't remember the name of the new Carnival ship out of Galveston but it is much larger than the others, I've heard that ship is great.

I've been told that RCI is like staying at a Hyatt vs Carnival staying at a Super 8.

The food on RCI was much better, the service extrememly better, of course the decor is better also.

I also heard that the difference is the same as going ot Cancun or Cozumel.

On RC you have a more laid back atomsphere they cater to an older crowd where Carnival caters to a younger crowd. Carnival seems to attract the party people. Don't get me wrong we saw a few drunks on RC but nothing like I've heard on Carnival

With that said, I do have a cousin that loves Carnival & says until she is in her mid to upper 30's she won't do RC again. She likes to party too much & couldn't find enough people her age to party with on RC.

After talking to my TA the other day, I'm going to be stuck with Carnival unless another line comes into Galveston, RCI is pulling all ships out of Galveston & New Orleans. I believe she said in 2008.

I've only been on 1 RC cruise Rhapsody a couple years ago.

We are going on Splendour Nov 30

Rhapsody June 3.

I've had people that I've known go on both. I can't remember the name of the new Carnival ship out of Galveston but it is much larger than the others, I've heard that ship is great.

I've been told that RCI is like staying at a Hyatt vs Carnival staying at a Super 8.

The food on RCI was much better, the service extrememly better, of course the decor is better also.

I also heard that the difference is the same as going ot Cancun or Cozumel.

On RC you have a more laid back atomsphere they cater to an older crowd where Carnival caters to a younger crowd. Carnival seems to attract the party people. Don't get me wrong we saw a few drunks on RC but nothing like I've heard on Carnival

With that said, I do have a cousin that loves Carnival & says until she is in her mid to upper 30's she won't do RC again. She likes to party too much & couldn't find enough people her age to party with on RC.

After talking to my TA the other day, I'm going to be stuck with Carnival unless another line comes into Galveston, RCI is pulling all ships out of Galveston & New Orleans. I believe she said in 2008.

As you can see from my previous post in this thread I love when people post their comparisons based on hearsay.

Carnival the party ship? Puhleeez. I'm 50 and have been on 8 Carnival cruises and drink maybe 1 drink per day if I'm lucky, and don't hang out at the clubs . I don't think I'd go on another cruise on any line if it was full of falling down drunks. The cruises I have been on have been full of all age groups, except for the 3 day cruise we took which you could classify as a party ship. The 7 day cruises don't attract those people.

RCI hands down has much more to do and is way more elegant than a Carnival ship. Carnival ships are more gaudy. The service and food on Carnival in the last few years has gone up dramatically. If you are into aesthetics you won't like Carnival. They have toned down their ships decor from the good ole days but some of the decor still leaves you scratching your head.

They both have the hairy chest contest I believe and crazy pool games. Please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. It's been 5 years since my last RCI cruise.

Bill

Again; Thanks for all the replies. I understand that this is a Royal Caribbean thread and I have sailed on and still have one cruise booked on RCCL. I have also sailed on Carnival.

Personally with the comparison between Carnival Ecstasy and Royal's Rhapsody, I'd vote Royal. The main reason I started this thread is because for four months in 2007 Royal leaves everyone drydocked with no sailing from Galveston which is our drive to port and port of choice and the months of choice for our sailings.

I have booked the Voyager in 2008 and again thanks for the comparisons between the Voyager and the Conquest, which are the choices for a 7 day cruise from Galveston after Dec 23, 2007.

I can book a Conquest balcony for roughly $350. less than the Voyager and at this time may cancel and change to Conquest. The drydock just leaves me a little confused as to WHY RCCL would abandon the Galveston market for 4 months.

Thanks again.

As you can see by my signature I've sailed by RCCL Voyager & CCL Liberty. Food & Service were comparable on both. I love the grand promenade with the RCCL ships, kind of nice to stroll along and do a little shopping, but didn't care to go all the way down there for pizza or sandwiches. The Windjammer isn't easily accessible to the Lido deck...which in turn keeps the Lido deck much neater. Glad I had the opportunity to see an ice show...been there, done it. I have to say the Voyager had the best inside cabin by far. Had a OV on the Liberty...fantastic! Absolutely loved the Lido Deck! Could care less about a rock climbing wall, but took advantage of the water slide, and the large screen on deck is a plus too...that's why I booked again on the Liberty. My favorite ship so far!!

After talking to my TA the other day, I'm going to be stuck with Carnival unless another line comes into Galveston,

You're only going to be stuck if you refuse to travel to another port, why not fly to Florida or Cali and sail from there?

RCI is pulling all ships out of Galveston & New Orleans. I believe she said in 2008.

Did you ask them why RCI is pulling out of those ports?

Ms B

You're only going to be stuck if you refuse to travel to another port, why not fly to Florida or Cali and sail from there?

Ms Belvedere;

I don't mean to be tacky, but some for what ever reason, don't fly be it medical or personal reasons. Your reasoning that we'll be stuck may be correct but not by our choice but by RCCL's choice for not replacing the ship in Galveston.

If we could fly I wouldn't be as disappointed, and the options of other cruises wouldn't be a problem. Some just don't have the luxury to pull up and fly whenever or wherever they feel and hop skip across the horizen to chase their whim.

I personally feel you were out of line with your comment and for that I'm sorry.

As you can see from my previous post in this thread I love when people post their comparisons based on hearsay.

Carnival the party ship? Puhleeez. I'm 50 and have been on 8 Carnival cruises and drink maybe 1 drink per day if I'm lucky, and don't hang out at the clubs . I don't think I'd go on another cruise on any line if it was full of falling down drunks. The cruises I have been on have been full of all age groups, except for the 3 day cruise we took which you could classify as a party ship. The 7 day cruises don't attract those people.

RCI hands down has much more to do and is way more elegant than a Carnival ship. Carnival ships are more gaudy. The service and food on Carnival in the last few years has gone up dramatically. If you are into aesthetics you won't like Carnival. They have toned down their ships decor from the good ole days but some of the decor still leaves you scratching your head.

They both have the hairy chest contest I believe and crazy pool games. Please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. It's been 5 years since my last RCI cruise.

Bill

Bill, you are not wrong. You hit it pretty much on the head. For us, Carnival was the easy winner in the food department. RCI just didn't stack up. The service was exceptional on both Carnival and RCI. The rooms on Carnival are bigger. The RCI ship was more elegant and had more activities. One thing we really missed out on with RCI was having outdoor tables and chairs adjacent to the buffet. Sure the buffet was on the same deck as the pools, but it was a relatively long walk, and it was clearly not designed for people to easily bring their food outside. Just our 2cents worth!

Did you ask them why RCI is pulling out of those ports?

Ms B

I guess stuck wouldn't really be the word to use, I should have said I won't have anything to really choose from.

I was told that the reason they are pulling out is because they are having to discount their rates quite a bit & aren't making the money they are in other ports.

My reason for not going out of FL or CA is because I live in Houston. I could fly to FL or CA but being 30 minutes from port is so much of a convenience. I also have family in La that makes it easy to get out of there also.

Archived