What is your favorite spot at Labadee?

scubapuss

Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on the FOS in January, and this will be our second time to Labadee. You have all convinced me to explore the island this time around. We hung out with waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many people last time. I didn't realize they had decent snorkeling there either, so thanks to all of you for your very helpful suggestions!

We totally agree...our preference is to find a place as far away from the rest of humanity as possible. We enjoy being social *ON THE SHIP*, but when it comes to port calls, especially Labadee, we prefer peace, quiet and privacy.

Michael & Silke

I continue to learn from this board (While adding knowledge from my vast experience ;) ) Next time at Labadee I think I will go this route.

My favorite spot when in Labadee... is ON THE SHIP while everyone else is in Labadee!

DUDE...if there's ONE island where you have to get off the ship, it's Labadee!!!! I can see staying on the boat for some other islands, but Labadee?? You're missing out! :D

DUDE...if there's ONE island where you have to get off the ship, it's Labadee!!!! I can see staying on the boat for some other islands, but Labadee?? You're missing out! :D

Nope, been there done that, don't need to do it again! Ever!

Wow! I am ecstatic to be going back there in October, I can hardly wait! Ah well....to each his own I guess! :)

Trust me I'm glad they go there as it empties out the ship. But, 1) I HATE, and I really, really mean HATE to tender anywhere and 2) the older I get the less I need sand in my swimsuit! Much happier sitting by the pool.

Hideaway beach- near dragons head is great- you're close to the food and music, there are rest rooms and showers right there.

Hideaway is calm, with plenty of trees for shade, an easy walk over to the point.

If you're looking to snorkel, there's a cove to the left of dragon's point that is terrific ( just watch out for the urchins when entering). I was told that there is an airplane sunk between barefoot and hideaway- the area is roped off.

If you don't want to haggle, but are looking to buy some local art, walk past/ around the market to the building behind. You pay the marked price- and it is reasonable

Seas the day!

C

Can you take a tram to Hideaway beach? Looked like a rocky long uphill walk from the tender. I have some foot problems.

Great info! I haven't seen the maps of Labadee before - thanks for sharing!

Also... Are there hammocks available? If so, are they located in the quieter areas of Labadee?

FINALLY... I've read that a few people like to find the very quiet areas here... So, have any of you been to Reggae Beach in Ocho Rios??? Opinions, please!

THANKS!

Can you take a tram to Hideaway beach? Looked like a rocky long uphill walk from the tender. I have some foot problems.

Yes you can take the tram to Hideaway. The walk to Dragon's point/breath is a good set of steps/ not rocks, but you should be able to manuever it- just take your time- actually you can go half way just to enjoy the view- it's an up/down/up walk to the point

here's a bunch of pics

http://travel.webshots.com/album/555025613IUWGIX

there are more on my home page

Great info! I haven't seen the maps of Labadee before - thanks for sharing!

Also... Are there hammocks available? If so, are they located in the quieter areas of Labadee?

FINALLY... I've read that a few people like to find the very quiet areas here... So, have any of you been to Reggae Beach in Ocho Rios??? Opinions, please!

THANKS!

All the areas in Labadee have hammocks, just like anywhere else, the closer to the point of exit/entrance the more congested things are. One of the great things about Hideaway beach is that the 'other' dining area is there, but far ( not really) from the tender. So it's much less crowded- and so are the beaches.

For me, the dragon's end had it all over the tender side ( unless you have kids). Maybe that's why! lol

Yes you can take the tram to Hideaway. The walk to Dragon's point/breath is a good set of steps/ not rocks, but you should be able to manuever it- just take your time- actually you can go half way just to enjoy the view- it's an up/down/up walk to the point

here's a bunch of pics

http://travel.webshots.com/album/555025613IUWGIX

there are more on my home page

Crisp1 -- thanks for the answer and the pictures. Probably could not do the steps but it would be wonderful to go to Hideaway. It always looks so good from the ship and if there is lunch and facilities, it would be great.

I totally agree. I've been there so many times and as far as beach go, it's a pretty average stop. I just stay on the ship now. I give RCI credit for spending a few $ on the place.

Good news and bad news...

Google has just recently updated their satellite imagery for Labadee! Yay... that's the good news... there is a Voyager class ship anchored there as well! It is pretty cool.

Now for the bad news: Either the new map data is, or the old map data was WRONG! It appears from the look of my markers compared to the new map features that the longitude is off by well over 1,000 feet! That is a significant error. I will post a question on the Google Maps API forum to see if anyone can shed some light. In the mean time, well yeah, the markers are not quite right... :(

Here's the map.

Theron

Too many Labadoozies once-upon-a-time? LOL

T

LOL! Good one! Actually my last time there we were with another couple who wanted to snorkel. The skies were cloudy, but we went to shore anyway. I rented a raft, which was a good thing, as I ended up sitting UNDER the raft on my lounge chair while they all snorkeled in the rain. When they got out, we hit the nearest bar area and probably did have our fair share of Labadoozies waiting for the rain to stop so we could go back to the ship!

When you rent waverunners on Labadee, do you have to book them well in advance as an excursion, or can you decide to do it once you're there?

When we did our Beach Bash excursion in St. Maarten, there were things we could do (Parasailing, waverunners) once we got there. That was a little bit different situation though; because the excursion was booked for the beach in advance thru RCI.

Here is the cruiseline's map:

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/gallery/1962266/4/99770691

It shows that lunch is served both at Dragon's breath and Coumbus Beach. Dragon's breath will be way less crowded.

Sorry it is split over two pages. That was just the easiest way to scan it.

will this be available on the ship? if not where can you get it. thanks fo rsharing

1st time I went to Labadee, I was not impressed.

But, since then, they have improved it so much that this last time, it ended up being one of my favorite stops. I'm not big on "beach days", but we found a section with some nice shade trees (not far from the kid's area Luc's Splash). We took leisurely walks, cooled off in the water a bit, ate lunch, and took time outs in our nice shaded area.

It really was a nice relaxing day.

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Only next time, I'd get off the ship earlier.

Archived