Luggage tags- Am I missing something ???

Jacqueline

When I received my HAL docs in the nice folder, I got some tags with elastic that said Westerdam. They had blanks for me to fill in, including CABIN NUMBER,

Is this it ? Usually the other lines provide tags that are impossible to get off that have ones cabin number preprinted in large type so that the luggage can be directed to the correct deck, and cabin.

Also, when should I put these on ? I am doing my own transfers, but am going directly from the airport to the dock (a few hours away). On one hand, I feel that once we land makes sense- but should there be a problem it is nice that they can see immediately that I am on a ship.

I do have extra to attach should I loose some enroute....

Ideas or comments ?

Am i missing something?????

No you are not missing anything, that is HAL's Luggage Tag. I fill it out before we leave then keep it in our Doc Folder. When we arrive at the airport and get our luggage is when I place it on the luggage. I guess they figure if you should change cabin numbers you can fill in the correct number.

I wouldn't worry much about your luggage tag coming off..that elastic band on the tag has never failed us. Maybe others have had different experiences but it takes a knife or a pair of scissors to get that tag off at the end of our trip.

Thanks ! Its amazing how much I am perseverating on this....

When we did a spring cruise (So Carribean) in March I put my tags on in NY and when we got to SJ no bags came off the plane !

Turns out because they had tags Celebrity took our bags to the ship even thoug I did not buy transfers.

i just sort of feel that having the Westerdam tag on the bag is a good thing because it is one less thing to do when we land (6 people, who knows how many bags!) and also in the event that one of the bags doesnt make it .. at least they will know that it is bound for a cruiseship.

Other thing is that there is nothing to sign in the cruise contract ?

I took a lot out of the folder as it seemed extraneous (know before you go, port excursions, stuff from travel agency- i did read it all). Kept one set.

:)

We fill out the luggage tags before we leave home.

We do not put HAL's luggage tags on the suitcases until we are ready to go to the ship.

The elastic bands that are on the tags can be easily snapped off in transit - they can get snapped off on a conveyer belt.

:)

I had a friend who put tags on before he boarded the plane. Never saw one of his bags again. I mean never. Do not put tags on until you get your bags at the airport. Takes about 10 seconds per bag. If you lose them, they have plenty of tags at the pier. Also, just to be sure, tie an extra knot in the elastic. If you are really hyper, you can use the plastic luggage locks to attach the tags.

Jhannah my thinking is more along your lines as in -how can it hurt ? If they get pulled off I can put a new one on, after all.

I am not sure that the permanent loss of a bag could be attributed to having an extra tag ?

Ok, if you really want to be prepared: Type up your itinerary (include your name, your cruise and all ports with dates) and slip it in your ID holder of your suitcase AND inside your suitcase. Include your return home date and phone number as well. This way if all the tags are shredded, the airline will know who you are and where to find you either during or after your cruise. Oh, and buy trip insurance in case they lose it and you need to replace all that stuff! Put the HAL tags on after your flight.

The loss of a bag was totally due to the cruise line tag. My friend arrived at the embarkation port one day early (as everyone should). His bags never showed up on the airport carousel since they were removed by representatives of the cruise line in the baggage handling area. He eventually got three of four bags but never saw the fourth bag.

Some people like to have the cruise line pick up their bags and transport them directly to the ship. You have no way of knowing if your bags made the flight until they don't arrive at your cabin. There are people on every cruise without bags. I talked to less than ten people on my last cruise and two of them still had no bags on the second day. My wife waited three days for a bag to catch up on a Southern Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico. There was an entire group of people on that cruise without bags from a Delta (Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) flight.

Always arrive one day early, handle your own bags, and put tags on when you leave your hotel for the ship.

Correct me if I`m wrong but I think that since 9/11 HAL quit pulling luggage at the airport and transfering it. Now you have to pull your own luggage and take it to your transportation whether it be a HAL bus or a taxi.....jean

Perhaps it depends on teh arrival airport. The only time I had my bags go off without me was in San Juan this spring .... and I hadnt even bought the transfers !

It would seem to me that for internatinal flights that I would have to collect the bags and take them through whether they were tagged or not ???

Ok ... this is the first time I've ever gone with HAL air and transfers. So ... do I put on the HAL tags before I check my luggage aboard, or do I wait until I get to my final airport (Seattle or Vancouver)?

Thanxs.

Greg, I think if I were you, this time I would put it on before you check you luggage in at the airport or before you leave home. I think when the cruise is one way like your Panama Canal cruise we would definitely use HAL's air also.

In my former, and pre-9/11 life, I instructed clients to put their baggage tags on their bags before leaving home if they were on cruiseline air and transfers. If they were doing their own air and cruiseline transfers, put them on in the airport after you claim your bags. If doing your own air and transfers, put them on after you claim your bags as well. Hope this helps.

I am one of those who prefers to put the tags on at the airport right before traveling to the ship. That way, if a bag doesn't make it to the airport baggage claim area, I at least know it was lost before it ever arrived at the airport, and I can file a report and leave an itinerary where it should be sent. I feel a little more in control that way.

Dee

Thanks ... in the past we've always done our own air, and on those occasions we've put the HAL tags on when we've picked up our bags at the airport ... usually when waiting in line for a Taxi to take us to the ship terminal. This is a different kind of trip, however, and with the probability of connections plus a bus trip from Seattle to Vancouver, I just didn't know which was best. And, rankly, some of the stories about lost luggage due to HAL tags has me frightened me. :(

2 months to go ... can't believe the days are still flashing by quickly. When are they going to slow down??

2 months to go ... can't believe the days are still flashing by quickly. When are they going to slow down??

Unfortuately, After you get off the SHIP:(

But it is sometimes GOOD when the time goes quickly up till your cruise:p

The loss of a bag was totally due to the cruise line tag. My friend arrived at the embarkation port one day early (as everyone should). His bags never showed up on the airport carousel since they were removed by representatives of the cruise line in the baggage handling area. He eventually got three of four bags but never saw the fourth bag.

That doesn't make any sense at all. First of all a flying in a day early I have never seen cruiseline porters waiting for bags at bag claim.

There was an entire group of people on that cruise without bags from a Delta (Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive) flight.

That was an unnecessary dig at an airline and I am saying that even though I work for a competitor.

I talked to less than ten people on my last cruise and two of them still had no bags on the second day.

I can't imagine taking a cruise and only talking to ten people on a cruise!

You must retrieve your own bags in this country. It's part of the overall security regimen. Even overseas, the cruise lines will not be there the day before the cruise to pick up baggage. Having a ship's tag on there doesn't make any difference in the handling of your bag.

The suggestion to have your itinerary inside the bag is a good one.

During prime season cruise ships leave almost every day from Miami. They certainly leave on both Saturday and Sunday. I assume my friend was on a Sunday cruise and arrived on Saturday. The cruise line reps picked up all the bags with tags and took them to the ship leaving on Saturday. Somehow three bags were identified as Sunday cruise but fourth bag was lost forever. If cruise lines are no longer picking up bags at airports, then you can put your tags on right now.

We always have to travel independently to our port of embarkation as HAL doesn't do organize air for overseas cruisers. We have never put the tags for the ship onto our cases until the day we leave our hotel for the ship.

They are not strong and could easily come off on the carousel and why would you advertise that you are going on a cruise ship. You stand out like tourists and a target for robbery etc. when you leave the airport.

We always fill out the labels before we leave home, carry them in our folders and just put them on when we pack up to go to the ship. How easy is that! I cannot see the reason for worrying about this now. It takes away all the pleasure of looking forward to the cruise.

Jennie

Archived