CB Eastern vs. Western

Whimsy

Everyone here was a big help with preparing for our last cruise. I hope you can help us out again.

We sailed on the CB last year and did the Western intinery. We are looking at booking another cruise this fall and are debating doing the Eastern this time aboard the CB. I put a room on hold for the Eastern as it was the last room left in the catagory we wanted. We like beaches and pretty water, can you please give me your opinions.

Thank you!

If I had to choose, I think the Eastern Caribbean itinerary is the better of the two. You get one more sea day out of the deal (I like sea days) and it's really nice to have the two sea days to start with. It's just more relaxing. I also enjoy St. Maarten.

We've done both over the past two years and they are very different cruises. The Eastern is much more about the ship and sailing vs. the ports as there are less. We found the ports on the Western to be alot of fun though with some great excursions such as Stingray City and Dunns Falls. Of the two Eastern ports (Princess Cays is on both itineries) we only liked St. Thomas. We didn't care for St. Maarten at all.

It's a cruise though so anytime is great.

We've done both over the past two years and they are very different cruises. The Eastern is much more about the ship and sailing vs. the ports as there are less. We found the ports on the Western to be alot of fun though with some great excursions such as Stingray City and Dunns Falls. Of the two Eastern ports (Princess Cays is on both itineries) we only liked St. Thomas. We didn't care for St. Maarten at all.

It's a cruise though so anytime is great.

Did you go to Marigot and Orient Bay??? IMHO beaches of Orient Bay beat St. Thomas beaches by a wide margin.:)

If you only stayed in the capital of Netherland's side than I understand.

Did you go to Marigot and Orient Bay??? IMHO beaches of Orient Bay beat St. Thomas beaches by a wide margin.:)

some real wide...lol:eek:

we much prefer eastern over the western.

We actually did a whole island tour (private tour operator..just her and us) and then a Rhino Rider tour. So we saw the whole island and the two beaches you mentioned. Still, we much prefer St. Thomas and saw all the beaches there as well and spent time at Coki beach. I guess the island of St. Maarten just wasn't for us. We're returning to St. Thomas again this fall on our Crown cruise and quite look forward to it.

If someone asked us which intinerary we would repeat it would definitely be the Western over the Eastern. Actually, we'd repeat the Mexican Riv itinerary again before the Eastern Caribbean also. As cruises go though (ship, staff and entertainment) our Eastern cruise was by far the best which is good as it had more sea time. As for ports, if we never return to St. Maarten again we'd be okay with that.

Hi Whimsy,

Come with us for two weeks and do the Eastern & the Western! St. Thomas, St. Martin, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Princess Cays (twice) and Ft. Lauderdale :) .

Actually, I'd choose Eastern, just because we've done the Western so many times!

I like the Eastern better than the Western. I like the beaches and snorkeling and I find the Eastern to be better. One downside to the Eastern is you get only 3 island days and 4 are available on the Western.

I like the Eastern better than the Western. I like the beaches and snorkeling and I find the Eastern to be better. One downside to the Eastern is you get only 3 island days and 4 are available on the Western.

Unfortunately with the Princess, yes. We sailed on Celebrity Century 3 years ago.. and had 4 Eastern ports: San Juan (PR), St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Nassau.

That's the upside to the Eastern. Princess needs to drop Jamaica from the Western.

Personally I perfer Western - calmer water, generally warmer water (in winter), islands are more interesting, great snorkling. Love Cayman, clean, people are very nice, beach fantastic. I also like Eastern and as far as St. Maatin, we had a great time. We rented a jeep and toured the whole exterior of the island (both sides) stopping at beaches for walks/swim. As you have stated you did the Western now it is time to do the Eastern and have your own opinion - both are great.

Everyone here was a big help with preparing for our last cruise. I hope you can help us out again.

We sailed on the CB last year and did the Western intinery. We are looking at booking another cruise this fall and are debating doing the Eastern this time aboard the CB. I put a room on hold for the Eastern as it was the last room left in the catagory we wanted. We like beaches and pretty water, can you please give me your opinions.

Thank you!

Heya Whimsy!

Hope you are doing well. As others have said, the eastern is more about the ship as you have only 3 port days instead of 4 like we had on the western. I'm sure you will like SXM & STT, both have great beaches and shopping. Our fave place to go is Marigot, St Martin.

PS We leave in 53 days on the Caribbean again, doing the eastern this time. We even have the same room (D730), so we're calling it the 'honeymoon suite' now. . . :)

Hi There,

We just got back from a Western Caribbean and did the Eastern last year on the CB! It's tough to compare them, because it's like apples to oranges. If you like ports, the Western is fun..But, last year, with just my DH and I, the Eastern was perfect. The beaches are awesome in St. Thomas and we loved St. Marten too, (although we didn't do a beach there, the one "in town" definitely wasn't as nice as St. Thomas' Meghan Bay Beach (one of the 10 best beaches according to Nat'l Geographic)!! I don't think you can go wrong either way:)

We really enjoy the western itinerary - for the stingrays at stingray city and the Royal Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab. We just stay on board in Jamaica.

We also love St. John's (take the ferry from St. Thomas).

If we had to choose one, it would be western, but it really does depend on what you would most enjoy doing. :o

Thanks for all your responses. We ended up choosing Eastern and are booked for September. I'm so glad as I now have another cruise to look forward to.

Seagarsmoker: Too bad we won't be going at the same time. You and the Mrs. enjoy that 'honeymoon suite'! ;)

We sailed on the CB last Sept, the Western and loved it. We have been to the Western 3 times, and this Sept, will be our 3rd time to the Eastern. Going back on the CB again this Sept-we love that ship!!:)

I am SO sad that the CB will not be sailing the Caribbean in Sept, 08!! Please, Princess, bring back some 7-Day cruises next Sept-lol.

Have a great weekend, everybody!!

Archived