Parkwest Takes Over Rotterdam's Crow's Nest - Denies Passengers Access

Three cheers for Margaret. Her stock just went way up.

I am glad to see your response. I did not and will not put Margarets email on the boards as it was given to me in confidence...When I called my "TA" yesterday at the agency based here in Seattle; my agent told me that any concern or complaint would actually have more weight coming from me than her, provided I made it to Margaret at the Mariners Society. Her boss and agency founder, Janet L., is away in Palm Dessert with her husband and therefore was not really available to get invoved...maybe this will help. I hope that Harbormaster sees this and reports any communication from Seattle. thanks Rob.

... I hope that Harbormaster sees this and reports any communication from Seattle. thanks Rob.

Rob,

Thanks for 1) having the knowledge of how and to whom to complain effectively on this issue and 2) having the willingness to do so!

I think we all would like to hear from Harbormaster, hopefully reporting satisfaction on Rotterdam.

Well done!

Dave

Thank you Rob. I'm too am delighted that Margaret got involved to make the situation right. Cheers for her...and for you.

I'm anxious to hear from Harbormaster.

This renews my faith that there are people who can and do fix some of the ills in the world. The rest of us need to know who to contact, and then make the effort and the result can truly be moral and just.

Great job by all who posted here and took action, expecially, Rob and Margaret! HaL's loyal passengers appreciate it.

Just to show an incident that expresses how special the Crow's Nest is to some of us, I was up there on a sea day reading in the morning. There were a sprinkling of people on the lazy boy chairs, reading and watching the ocean, and it was very quiet. When one of the stewards turned on the music really loud, a young man askd him to please turn it off as we all wanted the peace. Music turned off and then ten minutes later on it came. Man repeated his request and music was turned off again. When it came on the third time, man jumped up and told him if he didn't keep it off he was calling the hotel manager to come. Music stayed off. the atmosphere in the room was calm, peaceful, quiet, and meditative with a wide expanse of ocean ahead. No one wanted to spoil the feel of it all.

Carol,

We probably all have favorite CN stories to tell.

I've related mine before. It is minor, trivial even, but it sticks in the memory. We were in Isla Margherita on Noordam III and spent the afternoon in an almost empty, and thankfully very quiet CN, watching the brown pelicans. They had apparently found a very rich fishing area near land, just off the starboard bow. DW and I had many a giggle watching the birds slowly circling and then diving straight down to smack their faces, bills wide open, into the water!

No doubt the pelicans were appreciative of the rich meals, and we were appreciative of the quiet shared moment together. Marriage is more than shared passion, it is shared experience; it is also, at times, reference in only a few words, unintelligible to others, to shared memory of special times. We can no longer see or think of pelicans without thinking of that special time together in the CN. And we giggle like schoolchildren and people sometimes stare, but we don't care.

Dave

There was a lot of mis-information on Cruise Critic. The ship has actually had 9 guests express concerns to the staff or via "We Care cards". Cruise Critic on the other hand had over 300 postings, maybe 400 by now, and over 11,000 "hits" to the message stream

I find it quite amazing we have had endless conversation and outrage here on CC and only 9 guests aboard Rotterdam had any complaint at all. We were in a rage and hardly any of them cared about Park West/Crows Nest. Hmmmm......

As always, Ms. Binnendyk has responded so appropriately and I add my thanks to everyone else's.

Sail, I'm starting to think it appropriate to change the name of this thread to "the horror, the outrage, the thread that would never die" :D

I am not surprised that they did not get a huge amount of cards. I am sure the HM had some complaints, but when on vacation I'm more likely to just go with the flow. Would I be disappointed, sure, the Crow's nest was one of our favorite pre-dinner haunts, but I'd just go do something else. Its very different when you are sitting at home reading about it and thinking about how you'd react... but hey what are you going to do, anyway its good to know HAL sees the feedback.

I find it quite amazing we have had endless conversation and outrage here on CC and only 9 guests aboard Rotterdam had any complaint at all. We were in a rage and hardly any of them cared about Park West/Crows Nest. Hmmmm......

As always, Ms. Binnendyk has responded so appropriately and I add my thanks to everyone else's.

Maybe only 9 took the trouble to complain formally, but I'll bet there was a lot more grumbling going on that wasn't voiced loudly.

sail: have you found a Statendam tile to trade with me yet? :D

Maybe only 9 took the trouble to complain formally, but I'll bet there was a lot more grumbling going on that wasn't voiced loudly.

sail: have you found a Statendam tile to trade with me yet? :D

No, John. Sadly I have not but I thank you for the offer. I appreciate your trying to help me get a Noordam tile.

Frank.......

RUN For Cover!!!!

Don't even think such a thing!!!

We don't want to ever part with those fabulous ships!!! They're mere teenagers (Amsterdam and Rotterdam not yet teens) ....just getting well broken in.

Frank.......

RUN For Cover!!!!

Don't even think such a thing!!!

We don't want to ever part with those fabulous ships!!! They're mere teenagers (Amsterdam and Rotterdam not yet teens) ....just getting well broken in.

Just teasing, a modern hull should have a good 30-40yr service, they've got many happy years to come..... just poking the bees nest a bit ;)

It does make me curious though, it was nice to see that some of the new ship orders placed by other lines which use smaller vessels. I really would hate to think of all cruising going the way of the leviathan..... ships with 3600-5000 passengers kind of scares me a bit. Largest ship I've been aboard was the Dwight D Eisenhower CVN69, which was carrying about 4600 crew in total. The thought of a cruise ship with nearly that amount of people does not make me think of a relaxing vacation. I think a vista is about as big as we'll ever go

We have arrived back on the Rotterdam after a lovely morning in beautiful Rhodes. More about that later.

At our door when we returned to the suite was a letter from Maybelle Lim as follows " We were very concerned when you expressed discontent in your meeting with the Hotel Manager regarding the Crows Nest being closed. It was disappointing for us to learn that you felt that group members monopolized the ship, and that it prohibited you from entering the Crow's Nest because private functions had been scheduled.

We have now re-scheduled group events on most days to accommodate all of our guests. With the exception of May 11th and 13th during the day, the Crow's Nest will be open to all guests at all hours.

We are very sorry our group arrangements resulted in a less than extraordinary cruise experience for you during this cruise.

Sincerely,

Maybelle Lim"

We are satisfied that HAL has admitted and addressed the issue. We appreciate the letter and acknowledgement of our concern.

Frankly, we were beginning to think that the Bread Pudding was causing us hallucinations!!!!

To state facts. Today is the 10th. The Crow's Nest will be closed on the 11th and 13th. The 11th is tomorrow and is Cyprus. The 13th is the third and final full Sea Day, when it also will be closed. The 12th, when it is open, we dock in Alexandria and will be on a 12 hour tour bus to Cairo. Nevertheless, it will be open on the 12th for those passengers not on tours. It should also be open as we dock in Athens on the 14th.

As to the number of comment cards. We have spoken to a number of people who have gone to the Front Desk to give their opinions verbally on the situation. Whether those concerns were conveyed, and what people said, we cannot say. We would not have known that a comment card was in the blue folder had not one of you told us. Other people on the ship also were unaware of them. So, we are not surprised that less than 10 people filled out cards.

But, HAL DID address the issue and for that we thank them. It was a business decision that they made. They have every right to make it.

For us, the sad lesson of all of this is that we will hesitate to book HAL again until we know ahead of time what groups will be on board and what commitments have been made for those groups. However, it is not easy to find out. It did not ruin the cruise, but it did affect certain aspects of it.

The staff on this ship are terrific. Very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help. Our room steward Joco has been great, Toby our assistant dining room steward is outstanding, and Riris in the King's Room is excellent for breakfast service. The food has been good - crepes were available at lunch today filled with whatever wonderful things one wished. The itinerary is fantastic. This makes up for other factors.

Rhodes is a marvelous town, filled with wonderful history. The castle is an absolute must -wonderfully restored and there are many beautiful nooks and crannies for photo opportunities. A very easy walking day in the beautiful Mediterranean sunshine!

We hope we can put this issue to rest now. When we return home will will post a few photos. Seeing is believing I guess.

Calm seas.

Thank you, Harbormaster, for letting us know about the situation on board Rotterdam....and for your wonderful attitude.

I know everyone is delighted that Margaret Binnendyk was able to get control of the problem and try and set it straight. Maybe HAL will look at this and learn from it.

I really do hope you have had a grand and memorable cruise.

You certainly got us going around here!

Best, DFD

:D

I agree. I don't believe for one second that only 9 people were upset. I won't even buy into 18 ( 2 people per cabin, 1 comment card).

It is hard to believe that no one went to the desk to complain verbally.

IMO those that want to put it in writing will wait until the end of the cruise and fill out their comment cards.

There are always people who are not happy with something but just don't bother to complain. :)

I think saying only 9 is trying to down play the entire thing.

I agree with Gizmo's comments. Quite frankly I am disappointed with Ms. Binnendyk's comments - they appear very cavalier to me. I still don't think HAL management "gets it". Big deal that the lounge is open while they are in Cairo, but note they will still be denied access on the last day of their cruise while at sea. Sorry, I am not impressed. While I am happy there has been a formal ackknowledgement of the problem, I am also quite sure there would have been no action taken absent the discussion on this thread.

I will be anxious to see what awaits us on the 30 May Baltics cruise. HAL's credibility has become such that I will not be surprised if we face a similar situation.

Wow. I'm amazed at all the 'shame on us' posts. Only 9 complaint cards but four hundred posts. I wonder how many people on board verbally complained. I wonder how many grumbled to themselves and made note for a future cruise. If it were not for this thread the situation would not have come to its resolution. And closing the Crow's Nest on sea days, but leaving it open on port days when most people are gone from the ship is hardly a wonderful resolution.

And while I'm at the podium I'll wear short pants and sandals to formal night if I wish.:cool: :D (Ooh, sorry, that's another thread).

I think almost every pax who was denied entry to the CN, particularly when it wasn't in use by the group, were not only disappointed but angry that the popular room was closed to them every time they went up there. 9 comment cards- no surprise. Most people wouldn't know where to find them. How many complained at the front desk verbally- probably a lot more. How many thought to themselves "what a way to run a cruiseline"? Probably hundreds.

Don't forget- most pax on a ship are either newbies or have sailed HAL before but are not like CC's super-loyalists where HAL can do no wrong and there is an excuse for everything. Yes, in the long run when it comes to booking another cruise this CN incident can hurt.

If they know where to find the Room Service Menu (and most of us manage to know all we can about food and its availability aboard ship), they know where to find the comment cards....same portfolio.

If they were upset about being denied access to the CrowsNest, they would have made that displeasure known IMO Either by a visit to Neptune Lounge, Front Office, Comment Card, when passing in Officer/Staff person out and about. People who have a gripe are very able to make it known.

I am always very hestitant to say someone else is not speaking truthfully when I have absolutely no facts to back that up. What gives me the right to say what is the truth when I have not been involved, am not present and do not have access to that information.

Maybe you have 'inside info' about the number of people who complained that none of the rest of us has? I sure would be displeased with someone saying I was speaking untruthfully when they had no basis in fact for making such an insulting statement.

Archived