What insurance do you like ?

Jacqueline

I like Travelex. I usually buy their TravelPlus plan (even though I probably don't need that much coverage:) There's also their TravelLite plan. They insure kids traveling with an adult for free. You can go to this website to compare plans and rates: http://www.insuremytrip.com/index-1000-0-30002-0.html

I've also bought Travel Guard and CSA travel insurance in the past, however, I've found Travelex to be the best for my money. It's backed by Old Republic Insurance, which has been around forever. I've never had to make a claim on any of my plans, but I hear good things about Travelex.

Best wishes to you!

This would be a help to get some real feedback !

I use the Princess Care insurance which is automatically upgraded to the Princess Care Gold since I'm an Elite Captain's Circle member. At my age and for the length of my trips, this is the best value for my money for a number of reasons.

Three months ago had by-pass surgery. I had a cruise booked on the QM2 for April, 07. On doctor orders, I had to cancel this cruise.(repos. N.Y. to Fll)

Results: Amtek refund of $90 (phila. to N.Y.) was same day refunded.

Southwest refunded my booked Res. even though I had a no refund tic (fll to phl)

Cunard refunded 1/2 of paid fare.

Travelex (though slow on receiving check) refunded Balance that Cunard did not refund. Travelex even refunded the $10 airport parking res. that I had.

Have booked Dec. cruise purchased 'Travelex' ins.

end of story.

for our cruises. After a cruise on the Grand, we were stuck in Houston due to a snowstorm back home. CSA took care of hotel, meals, taxis, etc. Submitting the claim was easy and were sent our reimbursement check fairly quickly.

We are booking Los Angeles round trip to Hawaii and still not sure which insurance to purchase. I do know that it would cost a fortune to be airlifted out if anything happened (heaven forbid) while cruising the Pacific over or back. For those of you who have done this cruise, what ins. did you purchase and which plan.......thank you.

I have used Access America in the past and they paid very quickly on a claim. I have started using Travelex because they have higher medical coverage.

I avoid Princess insurance because it doesn't cover hotels/airlines booked on your own (which I always do) and their pre-existing clause is too vague.

We NEVER take the (so called ) Insurance from the Cruise lines , T/A's etc... Yes there are specific reasons .. some are self underwritten others are secondary policies.

Make sure your insuring company is rated well financially in your state where you reside. Make sure your Policy is PRIMARY. Compare what you need want and are =able to pay for too. SOme have great segments where pre-existing is covered if paid by a date in full..etc...

We always look for the best product as well cost associated in everything we purchase. This firm we have used many times now even for our next cruise next month again in June 2007 too. They give you rates, basis, ratings etc.. FREE and in depth with hundreds of firms so yes there DATA Base :D is phenominal.

Always READ in depth and in FULL everything. It is so important to know. :cool: :cool:

This would be a help to get some real feedback !

Traveled insured and travelex lite are almost the exact same coverage, except traveled insured has a lot more medical evacuation and its not included as part of the total medial expense. It also runs about $15 less for us.

On there upper level coverage

One has gold and one has plus. Travelex has more medical but less evacuation.

They are both primary coverage which is great. Traveled insured is a little less money.

Most cruise line coverage is like $10,000 medical, kind of low.

just my 2 cents.

this may sound silly but who is CSA?:rolleyes:

thanks

CSA started out as Customized Services Administrators. They administered plans for other companies -- paid claims, etc. About 15 years ago or so they decided to design their own plans and the name went to just plain old CSA.

We purchased TravelEx Lite for our upcoming Celebrity Mediterranean cruise. We purchased it right away in order to qualify for the preexisting condition waiver. We picked TravelEx because it was much cheaper (total cost $387 versus $1200 for the Celebrity insurance). TravelEx covers our kids for free.

However, it's worth noting that TravelEx's coverage is more limited than that offered by the cruise lines. For example the Princess website says: "Princess Travel Care and Princess Travel Care Gold also offers unique flexibility that many other programs lack. If you have to cancel your cruise for an ineligible reason - any reason at all - you'll receive from Princess Cruises a future cruise credit equal to 75% (90% with Princess Travel Care Gold) of the normally otherwise non-refundable cancellation fees."

For us, we figure the biggest risk to insure against is that one of our parents (ages 75-86) might need to be hospitalized and we might need to cancel or interrupt our cruise. TravelEx will cover us for this, but won't provide any benefit if we cancel for an "ineligible" reason. For example, if my mom's health declines but she isn't hospitalized, that won't qualify under the TravelEx plan.

Bottom line: make sure you understand what type of coverage you're buying.

--Junglejane

I get upgraded to Princess Gold automatically (DH does not) and with the "cancel for any reason" we get that on Princess... for the other cruises and trips I use Travelguard and get the "basic" coverage for somewhere like Alaska and one with more medical evac protection for Caribbean and overseas.

Take a look at InsureMyTrip.com. I have used them the last two years. You can compare many different companies. It's useful because you may not need or want some things that are offered and you can go with what suits your needs.

A few years back we were booked on the Carnival Pride and were doing a few nights pre- cruise in L.A. I was burned in a fire a month prior to the cruise. Up until about a week before we were debating on whether we should go. After thinking about the concept of being mummy wrapped on both of my arms on a Mexican Riviera cruise, we wisely decided to cancel. We got everything back from insurance. The ironic thing is that I originally didn't purchase it. I figured "what would make us cancel?"

I then decided to do it after reading a story of someone who got hurt on their cruise and I believe their medical coverage didn't cover it. So I said "might as well get it."

Best decision I made.

Enjoy your cruise,

F

I recommend Travel Guard. I use them all the time. I had to cancel a January cruise for medical reasons, and they paid the claim within two weeks after receipt of the required medical and other documentation. Incidentally, our friends who had made the reservation for the cruise at the same time we did with the same TA also wanted to cancel and they did not want to go without us, and they automatically received a refund without any documentation as soon as I received mine

We never used to buy travel insurance until last year, when I came down with pancreatitis on a 4-day cruise out of L.A. We had TravelGuard. To make a long story short, it took 9 months of fighting with them, going through the Better Business Bureau (they have an unsatisfactory rating) and all the way up to the state insurance commissioner, to get anything out of them! Even then, we had to pay a great deal of money out of pocket. Be forewarned!

We now buy AccessAmerica coverage through AAA Travel.

Hope to never have to collect again. It's a worse experience than the illness itself! When you buy insurance, be sure to ask what is not covered and read every word of the fine print!!!

Archived