Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

Sue,

From the other thread. I think everyone should e-mail C & A and ask the pointed question.:rolleyes: I'm going to. I was going to book 2 more cruises, now I'm going to have a 2nd thought. :confused:Call it Ego, or what ever.:eek: I will look at some other options!!!!:cool:

I'm not sure what good flooding C&A with emails would do other than aggravate the poor folks whose job it is to respond to those emails. Their response is going to be exactly what those who have already written recieved, unless or until the corporate executives announce otherwise. If you think that RCI doesn't know and hasn't weighed the negative impacts that such changes might have, your don't have much respect for their business acumen. If and when they make changes to the program, it most likely will be done with full knowledge that a certain amount of attrition will result and I think that it would indicate that they had decided that the changes were worth the price. I don't think they would be surprised.

However, if you are so caught up in the perks game that any changes would seriously damage your enjoyment of the cruise experience, by all means you should be looking at other options.:rolleyes:

I wonder why there would be a change? What kind of perks are people getting at Diamond and Diamond Plus that make it so expensive? Or is just because so many people are reaching the status? Both?

Enh, I don't even really care, but oh well. Hope for those it affects that you don't get screwed!

We've been loyal to the RCCL brand since 1984. We tried Carnival once for the kids and that wasn't good. We've taken 10 cruises, none shorter than 7 days and I've just now made Diamond. Which is kinda interesting since I've been paying for 2 staterooms and a total of 4 passangers for over 20 years. I take great pride in earning my Diamond status and feel like we're really part of the RCCL family.

I understand they may have some issues, but they alone are responsible for those issues. They diluted the value of the C&A program by granting full credit for those short cruises vs the 7, 10 and 11 day cruises.

Granted filling those mega ships on a weekly basis is a difficult job and there is a strong demand for the 4 and 5 day cruise market. This program becomes an unfunded liability over time. Remember the old airline frequent flyer programs with a "gallizion miles."

However I do believe "we" the loyal faithful are due some consideration. If they have to "re-level" the playing field how about something based on actual RCCL days at sea.

We like to cruise on RCI ships, we think they provide a good product for the price.

But we like to cruise for the destination, not the ship. We have sailed more with RCI just because they have a local short cruise that is convenient for us. We would not hesitate to cruise another line if they are cruising to where we want to go. I don't believe in limiting our choices to a brand.

I would expect that at any such time as the thresholds might be raised, to alleviate overcrowding issues in concierge lounges, for example, that current levels would be grandfathered and the raised requirements would be for future attainment of those levels. Our upcoming cruise in 6 1/2 weeks will be our first with Diamond status. On Platinum status cruises we sometimes passed on certain priority benefits because we were traveling with new cruisers and did not want to split off from them. But I do enjoy when DW feels a little pampered or special by having CL access, which we have enjoyed when we have been in a suite in the past. And having the robe in the stateroom is another nice little touch.

But that said, I am starting to consider taking a cruise on another line, just really for comparison sake, and variety of ports and ships, and to try certain other styles of cruises (we have never really been wow'd by the RCI dining room experience, so trying freestyle is a viable option for us since we split RCI cruises between WJ and Chops and Portofinos for dinners, anyway).

So our bottom line is that a C&A change in # of required cruises will not make a difference.

I would be disappointed, but it wouldn't change my "cruising profile". We are Platinum, (8 credits), but have always chosen our cruises and Cruise Lines by itinerary. Therefore we have spread the wealth (HA) among HAL, NCL, Princess, Carnival, and Costa. I would love to take advantage of the Cappucino Machine in the CL....and if that were available to me I would have a much lower onboard account balance at the end of each cruise. I guess the bottom line is....I would continue to look at the other lines....maybe with a bit more seriousness...(is that a word?)

I wonder why there would be a change? What kind of perks are people getting at Diamond and Diamond Plus that make it so expensive? Or is just because so many people are reaching the status? Both?

Enh, I don't even really care, but oh well. Hope for those it affects that you don't get screwed!

Too many people reached diamond too fast and now the numbers are unmanageable....is my guess! They almost always have to open an auxillary lounge to handle the crowds.

It is nice, but it is insignificant to the cruise experience. The biggest benefit, from my wallet's point of view are the discounts and the SPA coupons (my wife, not me!)

I have never booked a cruise based on a potential discount, but we always book our cruises based on the need to kick back and let RCI take care of us for a week or 10 or 11 days.

We are Loyal to Royal.

We are about to go on out third cruise with RCI. We were very disappointed in the quality of service on Explorer two years ago, so we took a year off and took a land based vacation last year in Punta Cana. We opted this time for a smaller ship and hoping this will be better. As for loyalty, RCI needs to sell their service each and every cruise. I am in sales myself and I know for a fact that it takes years to gain a customers trust, but seconds to loose one. If I were RCI, I would be looking for ways to enhance their loyalty program to appeal to more guests and make the tiers easier to obtain. With the economy in the present state, I think financially they would want to give out smaller perks instead of reducing fares. There has to be some point where they step back and look at the big picture and ask themselves what they can do to further enhance the experience onboard of their guests. I know people love rewards programs and if that reward, regardless what it might be is obtainable, they will strive to obtain it. Overall, I feel RCI does a very good job, but there is always "better" than can be obtained.

I'm not sure what good flooding C&A with emails would do other than aggravate the poor folks whose job it is to respond to those emails. Their response is going to be exactly what those who have already written recieved, unless or until the corporate executives announce otherwise. If you think that RCI doesn't know and hasn't weighed the negative impacts that such changes might have, your don't have much respect for their business acumen. If and when they make changes to the program, it most likely will be done with full knowledge that a certain amount of attrition will result and I think that it would indicate that they had decided that the changes were worth the price. I don't think they would be surprised.

However, if you are so caught up in the perks game that any changes would seriously damage your enjoyment of the cruise experience, by all means you should be looking at other options.:rolleyes:

The first thing that comes to my mind, is the expression, Loose Lips Sink Ships. :eek:The reason I say that is, like it or not in this economy, every dollar of savings & benefits, is a big deal to a lot of people.;) Whether it be clipping coupons for the grocery store or discounts off your Seapass Account. I have also know doubt, that RCCL had many meeting regarding this issue. I also have know doubt, that they will protect the current status of their current C & A members. If that is not going to be the case. Than at all the C & A cocktail parties I have attended. Where one of the staff stood up and told all of us how important we are to RCCL. They are going to be walking around, with a lot of something on their face.:eek: The person that leaked the information out, if it's really what happened, made a tactical error. People don't like to have things they have spent good money to earn, taken away. Is there any one here that does???? As far as poor folks, the guy with the Loose Lips :eek:should have thought about them.

If RCCL increases the amount of Cruises needed to obtain Platinum, Diamond & Diamond Plus. :rolleyes: Would you stay loyal, branch off and cruise other lines, or stop cruising them altogether. Rumor has it that their going to raise the bar. 25 to make Diamond:eek:, 50 for Diamond Plus.:eek: Lets hear it folks, bad or good!!!!

We are already Diamond and DID take an extra cruise/suite to get to Diamond.

If I were more than one point away, I would choose the cruise line for my cruise based on itinerary/value/style of ship/etc.

The cost to cruise an extra cruise (it does have nice its own benefit) is a high price to pay to get the (nice - BUT not needed or 'have to have' benefits of the higher levels of C&A.

We sail on Holland America, Princess also. I prefer RCL and Celebrity when everything else is equal though. :)

Paging the dead horse...dead horse, please pick up a white courtesy phone and report to this thread...

I'm sorry, the dead horse has been very busy in the fuel surcharge thread. The dead horse may not be able to get to this thread for quite some time. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Administrative Assistant for The Dead Horse.

I'm sorry, the dead horse has been very busy in the fuel surcharge thread. The dead horse may not be able to get to this thread for quite some time. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Administrative Assistant for The Dead Horse.

Has the dead horse been to the "tipping" thread or the "can I wear DRESSY jeans to the dining room" thread? I think he may need an assistant:D

If RCCL increases the amount of Cruises needed to obtain Platinum, Diamond & Diamond Plus. :rolleyes: Would you stay loyal, branch off and cruise other lines, or stop cruising them altogether. Rumor has it that their going to raise the bar. 25 to make Diamond:eek:, 50 for Diamond Plus.:eek: Lets hear it folks, bad or good!!!!

I cruise RCI because of the ships mainly. While the increase in Diamond most likely won't affect me I still would cruise with RCI.

They definitely should change this crap about wives and husbands though (and any other family member) reaching Diamond status because of someone else (if true). This is a slap in the face of those who cruise and earn those benefits.

If the new levels are really implemented the unfairness would be even greater.

I guess anything is possible with RCCL so far as changing the rules for the C&A, here's something that was posted in another thread. Not saying it can't happen, but here's RCCL's position on the matter today:

RE: Advancing to the next level

Dear William,

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for any delay in our response. The Crown & Anchor Society does not plan to make any changes to our tier structure at this time. Your membership in the Crown & Anchor Society is determined by how many cruise credits you earn with Royal Caribbean International. Your membership status will advance through the program with each qualifying cruise you complete. (Please note: your membership number will not change.) Advancement through the different tier levels is as follows:

Gold after earning your 1st cruise credit

Platinum after earning your 5th cruise credit

Diamond after earning your 10th cruise credit

Diamond Plus after earning your 24th cruise credit

To review benefits, for each level, please visit the Crown & Anchor Society section of www.royalcaribbean.com/crownandanchor.

Remember to always provide your Crown & Anchor Society membership numbers when booking a Royal Caribbean cruise vacation. To receive credit for your cruise and to receive your onboard benefits, your Crown & Anchor Society membership numbers must be added to your reservation prior to sailing.

William, we look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon

Sincerely,

LeAnn Eckerman

Crown & Anchor Society

Tell LeAnn that the highlighted quote is such a garbage.

]I'm sorry, the dead horse has been very busy in the fuel surcharge thread. The dead horse may not be able to get to this thread for quite some time. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Administrative Assistant for The Dead Horse

"If you'll all allow me a few more drinks, I'll soon be feet-up and I can fill in for my friend, the dead horse. Please use a foam bat".

Archived