Big Changes Coming to RCCL's Loyalty Program

I don't understand the obsession with a person's C&A status anyway.. If your ego is so fragile that you feel the need to brag about your C&A status, then you have issues in my book.
The only person's C&A status I care about is my own, and that is for the perks, it has nothing to do with ego.

I love any perk I can get, but don't sail just to get them. To DW and me, we cruise because we love being on a ship for 1 week and living in fantasy without all of the situations we face at home daily. Perks are nice, and as a person 55+, we do get some including sr. rates on select cruises. To us the ship is the destination, and we will continue to cruise as long as we have the funds, and will choose based on cost, debark port, and time of year, not loyalty perks.

Let's get down to brass tacks! As of this very moment, NO CHANGES have been made to the loyalty program. Until, they make any changes I find this whole discussion to be inane. Two things, first, why get yourself all riled up about something that may or may not happen, based on rumor and sheer innuendo. Second, even if they do change the program, there is nothing we can do, other than going to another line. I will not do that, since I have had nothing but success with RCL. This is a business that answers to the stock holders, therefore they need to make a profit.

My wife and I have 3 cruises booked with RCL and we will continue to sail with them regardless of our status in the C & A.

Let's get down to brass tacks! As of this very moment, NO CHANGES have been made to the loyalty program. Until, they make any changes I find this whole discussion to be inane. Two things, first, why get yourself all riled up about something that may or may not happen, based on rumor and sheer innuendo. Second, even if they do change the program, there is nothing we can do, other than going to another line. I will not do that, since I have had nothing but success with RCL. This is a business that answers to the stock holders, therefore they need to make a profit.

My wife and I have 3 cruises booked with RCL and we will continue to sail with them regardless of our status in the C & A.

Very well said.

I see the C & A thingy something as a gift and thank you from RCI for being a repeat customer. But I am not entitled to it. RCI can change it any time or even discontinue it. When I made my switch to RCI I wasn't even aware of the benefits of the C & A program. I started sailing RCI because of ships, service and the overall cruise experience and that is our main reason we sail with RCI.

The only thing which bugs me is the continued abuse of C & A status i.e. claiming people live in your house hold when they don't just for them to receive the same benefit. That way people with 1 cruise have received Diamond Status. It is an abuse of the system which at one point was created with good attention for immediate family members.

Otherwise I do not care what status one has or even myself. If they discontinue C & A I still sail with RCI.

The only thing which bugs me is the continued abuse of C & A status i.e. claiming people live in your house hold when they don't just for them to receive the same benefit. That way people with 1 cruise have received Diamond Status. It is an abuse of the system which at one point was created with good attention for immediate family members.

Ditto!

:o

Very well said.

Otherwise I do not care what status one has or even myself. If they discontinue C & A I still sail with RCI.

I am not sure I have the same opinion. When I compare cruises, assuming that itinerary, quality of ship, dates and price are similar, I would always give preference to an RCL cruise, because of our diamond status.

We recently made Diamond and to tell you the truth, I wasn't all that impressed with the concierge lounge benefit. The lounge was so crowed that I didn't want to go much after formal night. My husband went on his own a few times (while I finished getting ready for dinner).

The BIG benefit to me is priority disembarkation. I don't mind waiting to get on the ship, altho sooner is better. I guess I'm always so "up" at the start of the cruise. But when it's over, it's over and I'm impatient to get on to the next one...haha. Oh, and yes, of course the % discount is a wonderful perk too! :)

(and we like the coupons, got a free 5x7 picture on our May cruise)

It doesn't seem fair for the people ALMOST to Diamond or Platinum. Maybe RCCL will come up with something fair....so far, it's just "heresay".

We were told on our recent Navigator cruise by a high level source that the loyalty program would soon be changing. The new level to attain Diamond status will be 25. We were also told the level would be raised to 50 to reach Diamond Plus. These changes have already been decided and it's just a matter of time before they are officially announced. Probably weeks rather than months. It's not surprising considering the Concierge Lounges are becoming unusable due to overcrowding.

This is the original post to this thread, dated January 16th, 2008.

Now almost 6 months later we are still waiting for these changes to be announced.

Another un-named "high level source" story that has yet to materialize.

A prime example of why we should take what is said here with a grain of salt and wait for confirmation from Royal Caribbean.

Now almost 6 months later we are still waiting for these changes to be announced.

A prime example of why we should take what is said here with a grain of salt and wait for confirmation from Royal Caribbean.

I think that's generally true of anything posted on these boards. I'm still glad the OP posted the information, and I think the OP was just trying to provide some insight on a topic that's important to some people. He clearly explained the source of the information, and never made it sound like the changes were definite or carved in stone. In addition, we have no behind-the-scenes information and things could have changed. For example, it's hypothetically possible that the change was set to happen, and then was delayed for whatever reason.

Bottom line, I get your point and don't disagree, and the speculation is tedious at times. But I trust the OP, and part of a function of these boards is to kick these things types of topics around. If we just discussed what RCI officially and formally communicated, it'd get a little dull. :)

It's not a rumor. I wouldn't have started a thread about a rumor. I rarely ever start threads.

I think that's generally true of anything posted on these boards. I'm still glad the OP posted the information, and I think the OP was just trying to provide some insight on a topic that's important to some people. He clearly explained the source of the information, and never made it sound like the changes were definite or carved in stone. In addition, we have no behind-the-scenes information and things could have changed. For example, it's hypothetically possible that the change was set to happen, and then was delayed for whatever reason.

Bottom line, I get your point and don't disagree, and the speculation is tedious at times. But I trust the OP, and part of a function of these boards is to kick these things types of topics around. If we just discussed what RCI officially and formally communicated, it'd get a little dull. :)

Ya, he did.

It doesn't mean that it has to happen now or 6 month ago. Most changes happen on Jan 1 anyways. The last C & A change happened on Jan 1 (2000-something). It may happen this Jan 1 or next (2010).

I wouldn't diss the OP just because the changes didn't come overnight.

;)

I am not sure I have the same opinion. When I compare cruises, assuming that itinerary, quality of ship, dates and price are similar, I would always give preference to an RCL cruise, because of our diamond status.

I don't. I cruise RCI because I love their ships and service. Itinerary is secondary. C & A benefits come last. That way if they ever make changes I am not like "OMG, now what!"

But we all have different opinions and preferences. That makes the world so interesting.

:D

We recently made Diamond and to tell you the truth, I wasn't all that impressed with the concierge lounge benefit. The lounge was so crowed that I didn't want to go much after formal night. My husband went on his own a few times (while I finished getting ready for dinner).

That's one of the reasons:

This problem is actually bigger than I thought. On my last cruise I met 3 people who were Diamond and Diamond Plus with under 5 cruises (two were only one time on RCI prior to that cruise).

All 3 received the status through friends and cousins who live a few states away.

I don't. I cruise RCI because I love their ships and service. Itinerary is secondary. C & A benefits come last. That way if they ever make changes I am not like "OMG, now what!"

But we all have different opinions and preferences. That makes the world so interesting.

:D

That's one of the reasons:

This problem is actually bigger than I thought. On my last cruise I met 3 people who were Diamond and Diamond Plus with under 5 cruises (two were only one time on RCI prior to that cruise).

All 3 received the status through friends and cousins who live a few states away.

AS far as I know ONLY childen of Diamond members qualify, for instance my mother is a Platinum member and myself and my children are Diamonds, could not get her to the same status :) Which is good too... I think children should enjoye their parents status while on cruises together with their parents and when they move out they should be awarded their own status based on how many cruises they have completed to that date, just my opinion :)

We were told on our recent Navigator cruise by a high level source ............

My co-worker's sister-in-law's brother's wife's uncle's friend's niece's brother-in-law's mechanic's hair-dresser's dentist's lawn guy's kid's best friend's mother 's best friend said ...........

It doesn't mean that it has to happen now or 6 month ago. Most changes happen on Jan 1 anyways. The last C & A change happened on Jan 1 (2000-something). It may happen this Jan 1 or next (2010).

I wouldn't diss the OP just because the changes didn't come overnight.

;)

I relate the topic to this... a couple of years ago there was a poster who came on Cruise Critic and said that they were told on a sailing that the Mariner would be moving to Los Angeles to do sailings. There were many who did not believe them. Now, we see that it was indeed true as the Mariner will be there in February.

Just because something doesn't happen overnight does not mean that it will never happen... it does take time to plan things out. I'm sure they are developing a way to not get taken advantage of again.

I do like the idea that when somebody who is not your spouse turns 18, then they would get their own status instead of yours.

on our last sovereign cruise in feb 2008 i asked the LA about changes to the C&A. she said she had nad not even heard an inkling of info about a change. she went on to say that when there has been a change made in the past, it is usually announced toward the end of the year, and takes affect jan 1 of the next yr.

after my upcoming honeymoon cruise, we will have 8 credits. we are planning on doing 2 short wknd cruises in 2009 to make diamond in time to do alaska in 2010 for a balcony discount. hopefully no changes until 2010 :) :D

greg

We became Diamond after becoming Elite on Celeb & have been very happy with the perks..esp. when compared to Celeb. (a useless coupon book where you have to spend money to save) I wonder how they will handle the crossover perks unless Celebrity is also changing. IMHO--althoughit sounds crude, they should base it on dollars spent...3 cruises in an inside get the same points as a balcony cabin..

On our last cruise on Jewel we enjoyed coffee, early breakfast & other snacks in the concierge lounge--never crowded. The pre-dinner coktail hour was held in the upstairs lounge--nice snacks & free soda or drinks..It really was very nice & not overcrowed either. the cc rep. (a ship/s ofcier) was very knowledgeable & helpful--I think it was Andrea. They also held some nice events in the Safari(? ) lounge as well--

. We have booked Jewel again for fall '09 so hope our perks do not change...

Well...We're Diamond on RCCL and INDEPENDENTLY of any reciprocity, Elite on Celebrity...

The benefits really don't mean that much to me in any regard...Sure, they're nice...But, I could always buy myself whatever the coupons give me...

The one benefit I really cherished was the "Diamond Lounge" on Liberty of the Seas...Unfortunately, they didn't have that on other RCCL ships I've cruised on (like the Vision back in March) and they don't have anything similar on Celebrity...

Of course, my daughter and her friend are cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in September and SHE will get the benefit of being a Diamond C&A member ...I am still not entirely sure how that happens, but she'll take it (Technically, on her own, she should still only be Platinum--not bad--a "veteran cruiser" at 24 years old.)...

I guess with all of the money I've sent RCCL and X's way over the years (suites and long cruises and separate suites and balconies for the kids), we should probably all have top status no matter how they count it...

If they change the program, that's their perogative...I really expect to pay for anything I get in some fashion or another...even if it's hidden somewhere n the overall cost and gifted back as a "freebie"...

AS far as I know ONLY childen of Diamond members qualify, for instance my mother is a Platinum member and myself and my children are Diamonds, could not get her to the same status :) Which is good too... I think children should enjoye their parents status while on cruises together with their parents and when they move out they should be awarded their own status based on how many cruises they have completed to that date, just my opinion :)

What is the current status if you are Diamond member, and travel with your children who have moved out. Can they still use the lounge with you.

on our last sovereign cruise in feb 2008 i asked the LA about changes to the C&A. she said she had nad not even heard an inkling of info about a change. she went on to say that when there has been a change made in the past, it is usually announced toward the end of the year, and takes affect jan 1 of the next yr.

after my upcoming honeymoon cruise, we will have 8 credits. we are planning on doing 2 short wknd cruises in 2009 to make diamond in time to do alaska in 2010 for a balcony discount. hopefully no changes until 2010 :) :D

greg

Hate to tell you but the difference between platinum balcony discount and diamond balcony discount won't come close to covering the cost of two cruises. :)

Of course, my daughter and her friend are cruising on the Freedom of the Seas in September and SHE will get the benefit of being a Diamond C&A member ...I am still not entirely sure how that happens, but she'll take it (Technically, on her own, she should still only be Platinum--not bad--a "veteran cruiser" at 24 years old.)...

My daughter (age 15) and son (age 11) are also Platinum on their own account with RCI. They get my Diamond status as of now. I don't know what will happen when they turn 18, but should be Diamond on their own by then. :p

AS far as I know ONLY childen of Diamond members qualify, for instance my mother is a Platinum member and myself and my children are Diamonds, could not get her to the same status :) Which is good too... I think children should enjoye their parents status while on cruises together with their parents and when they move out they should be awarded their own status based on how many cruises they have completed to that date, just my opinion

Why shouldn't children who's parents are Diamond status retain the same status when they move out on their own? As far as I know, I've paid the same for our children to cruise as I did for my DW and I. As far as I'm concerned, they have already earned Diamond status and should not be required to earn it a second time.

Why shouldn't children who's parents are Diamond status retain the same status when they move out on their own? As far as I know, I've paid the same for our children to cruise as I did for my DW and I. As far as I'm concerned, they have already earned Diamond status and should not be required to earn it a second time.

My husband and I have 8 cruise credits and after our next cruise we'll have 10 while our son is currently at 5 and will be 7 after the next. He will be diamond based on our credits after our next cruise just as we will. By the time he's 18 he will most likely be well into diamond or even diamond + in his own right as he is only age 3. I think the point was that your kids should take with them the cruise credits you paid on their behalf however many that may be but should not take your status if it is higher.

Archived