Have you Known Someone Be Put Ashore Early

cavkc

On our HAL Zuiderdam cruise we saw a family being 'assisted' by Security to pack up their rooms and get off- and this was right before we sailed. It appears the teenage son had been smoking some of those funny cigs in his cabin- which was smelled by everyone coming down the hallway- Security were searching the room when we went past.... next thing you know they were sent off the ship. I can only imagine what his parents had to say to him :D

Frankly, this thread is heartening as I am glad that RCI's Captains and Officers have taken strong action when someone is disrupting others' vacations because of bad behavior. Throwing deck chairs off the side of a ship, other vandalism, illegal substances, rowdy drunkenness and climbing from balcony to balcony are unacceptable behaviors.

What a facinating thread. After reading a bit I called my (usually well behaved) teenage son over and we had a serious talk about the consequences on poor behavior on our upcoming cruise.

So sorry that you had a rough time Lori. That would have tried the patience of a saint.

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about taking other people's kids on vacations. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it for more than a local weekend getaway. I was blessed as a teenager to join a friend's family on a vacation to Mexico - something I would not have otherwise had the opportunity to do. Of course, I was a good kid. On the other hand I allowed each of my teenagers to bring a friend on our trip to Yosemite last summer. The first thing on our agenda was to hike up Half-Dome. About a mile from the top I made the decision for safety reasons that it was best to turn back and I took the two younger teens with me. My son's friend had an emotional meltdown on the way back. He was literally crying and wailing for 6 long miles. I had to enlist other hikers and we made a little box around this hysterical 13 y.o. boy so he wouldn't fall off the trail. It was miserable and quite frankly scary because people can and do get hurt on those trails and we were far from civilization. The next day the boy's dad picked him up to go back home. Would hate to imagine if something like that had happened very far from home and an unplanned end to the vacation was necessary.

A third nomination! ;)

Lori, I remember your first post on this and reading your post here again gave me just as many chills as the first time I read it!

I hope you have a great "family cruise"...and congrats on getting married!!! :)

Thanks for the well wishes....incidently, when this Radiance incident happened DH and I had only been dating for 2 months.....he was actually staying at my house with my cats while we were on this cruise.....I knew I was in love when all I could think about was talking to him to tell him what was happening to us . Once the ship arrived in port at St. Maarten the first phone call I made was to him and he was immediately all trying to get us home no matter what the cost was. I had called my dad from the ship and made arrangements with him to pick us up at the air port, my dad suggested I leave Krammer in Miami, however, I couldn't do it. When we arrived in St. Louis my dad was at the gate, he immediately told Krammer not to speak to him and that the only reason he was giving him a ride to our house was because of me. When we reached our house my DH ( who was my boyfriend at the time) wouldn't come outside until Krammer was gone for fear he might hurt him....once Krammer left DH and my dad actually met for the first time. In a weird way I think they kind of bonded over the whole thing;)

I understand it was a common occurance to put passengers caught smoking on the Carnival Paradise, when it was a totally smoke-free ship, off at the next port.

My first thought has to be, WHY oh WHY would one go on a non-smoking ship if they have any inclination toward smoking?! I'm glad the cruise line did end up kicking them off of the ship.

Have been cruising for about 35 yrs. Only once (last year) have i witnessed anyone being put off a ship. This was on the Princess line. Seems the little darlings had been caught shop lifting ---Da Capitan didin't approve.

:) :eek:

We were on Norwegian Dawn in Jan. and a popular ny band with many followers were also on board. We observed a man with his luggage getting off in St. Thomas. From our balcony we saw several DEA agents standing near the gangway. I heard a noise in the hallway and officers went into a cabin about four doors down from ours. About 20 minutes went by and a couple were getting off with their luggage, then another and another. There were about 20 of them on the pier and all had been busted for marajuana.

I understand it was a common occurance to put passengers caught smoking on the Carnival Paradise, when it was a totally smoke-free ship, off at the next port.

I do believe this is the case on Oceanic. I was told with Azamara if you are caught smoking more than once in non-smoking areas this could happen.

Many years ago, we were on a Carnival ship during spring break. A group of about 20 college kids were very drunk and running through the halls at night. They were very noisy and caused a lot of trouble.

The next port stop was Dominica. All of them were put off the ship there and had to find their own way home. I'm sure they had a lot of explaining to do as this was about 2 days or so into the cruise from San Juan.

We just returned from a cruise on Voyager; while we didn't personally see it occur, we were told by our tablemates that they saw a group kicked off in Cozumel because they had been climbing from balcony to balcony on the ship the night before.

I saw a kid doing that on the Navigator glad to here they took some action on this matter.

We had an early tour in Belize and were on the first tender and there was a very young honeymoon couple who were being thrown off for drug use. She kept making comments (between sobs) to the husband about his stupidity, etc.

NCL SUN last year Easter. One of the couples in our group of 40, were "invited" to leave the ship in Belize, because they had been caught smoking' some wacky weed(Dope, funny cigarettes, etc.) in their cabin.

The Captain himself knocked on their door, and had a talk with them. He asked them if smoking weed was legal in the country(USA)? Of course they said no, so he then said it was not legal on his ship.

The irony of this was, they had a balcony but choose to smoke in the room. The couple in question were in their

50's. Ole time hippies?

Fast forward this year on cruise 2/4/08, same couple were once again with our cruise group.( Who invited him and her ?) I spoke to him and he said NO DOPE this time. He also said he thought he owe his girlfriend another cruise. Go figure!!!!

We had an early tour in Belize and were on the first tender and there was a very young honeymoon couple who were being thrown off for drug use. She kept making comments (between sobs) to the husband about his stupidity, etc.

Wonder if they stayed married after that? Pretty big negative thing to learn about new spouse on honeymoon.

I wonder how long they stayed married. What a way to end your honeymoon and marriage.

The next port stop was Dominica. All of them were put off the ship there and had to find their own way home. I'm sure they had a lot of explaining to do as this was about 2 days or so into the cruise from San Juan.

We're about to move to Dominica and getting to and from the island via plane is not an easy feat. The planes are small and can only handle so much luggage. We were told that when we travel there that our luggage may actually take 3-7 days to get there because they get queued until there is a plane that can fit any extra luggage.

I just came off the GoS, and we had kids (Spring Breakers) put off in both ports.

2 in Coz for throwing the deck chairs overboard while at sea:confused:

and

4 in Progresso for harassment, and striking a deck officer.:eek:

[None of these kids were going to school for Brain Surgery]

(My understanding is that they were handed over to the local authorities, and they just "let you go", if you can come up with the $$ to get home)

I just came off the GoS, and we had kids (Spring Breakers) put off in both ports.

2 in Coz for throwing the deck chairs overboard while at sea:confused:

and

4 in Progresso for harassment, and striking a deck officer.:eek:

[None of these kids were going to school for Brain Surgery]

(My understanding is that they were handed over to the local authorities, and they just "let you go", if you can come up with the $$ to get home)

good for the Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On our Mexican Riviera Cruise, a couple years back, we learned that two men were not allowed to reboard, due to intoxication. They had decided to spend to much time at the local bar and were late getting back. Their only way out was on the Pilot boat, but our Capt felt due to their condition, it wasn't safe for them to try and get unto the landing of our ship from the rolling Pilot boat.

This has been a very interesting thread, but I notice that the original poster's question was more about whether breaking any rules would get you thrown off.

The answer to that is, apparently, no. If you fight, have drugs, cause a disturbance while drunk, try to jump off the ship, etc, in other words, serious things, you can get kicked off.

Although the letter of the law in RCCL's rules allow them to dismbark you for practically anything, they don't kick people off the ship for having kids that are kinda rowdy (they have to be really rowdy or destructive to get kicked off), and definitely not for smuggling liquor. They may confiscate it, but I'm willing to bet that no one has ever not been allowed to cruise because of booze in their luggage. Maybe for punching or arguing with ships personnel about having it confiscated, but not just for having it.

OF course, there is a small contingent that would like everything from liquor smuggling to inappropriate dress in the dining room to be a kicking off the boat offense. But, it's not. :)

This post prompts an admitted newbie cruiser to ask the obvious: Don't cruise ships attempt to identify obviously intoxicated cruisers, band them and refuse to sell them any more alcohol for the remainder of the day? If not, why not? :confused:

Other than a bartender or server *possibly* having a moral responsibility to try to prevent a passenger from harming themselves or others, I do not believe cruiselines have policies for cutting off intoxicated passengers. Nor should they. The cruiseline is not a babysitter.

How can the cruise line be expected to enforce it? How intoxicated should the passenger be? If they are not causing a problem for other passengers, how do you justify cutting them off? Who should enforce it? The bartender?

This does occur in bars on land, but the concern is about lawsuits resulting from the customer getting into a car and killing someone.

I'm not sure what you mean by "band them". Are you talking about physical restraint, or did you mean "ban" them from the bar?

Jeff

This has been a very interesting thread, but I notice that the original poster's question was more about whether breaking any rules would get you thrown off.

The answer to that is, apparently, no. If you fight, have drugs, cause a disturbance while drunk, try to jump off the ship, etc, in other words, serious things, you can get kicked off.

Although the letter of the law in RCCL's rules allow them to dismbark you for practically anything, they don't kick people off the ship for having kids that are kinda rowdy (they have to be really rowdy or destructive to get kicked off), and definitely not for smuggling liquor. They may confiscate it, but I'm willing to bet that no one has ever not been allowed to cruise because of booze in their luggage. Maybe for punching or arguing with ships personnel about having it confiscated, but not just for having it.

OF course, there is a small contingent that would like everything from liquor smuggling to inappropriate dress in the dining room to be a kicking off the boat offense. But, it's not. :)

Often the Captain and other officers have a talk with the offending passenger(s) that is a warning. But by the 3rd (or maybe even the second) offense, the passenger and his or her family are disembarked. Exceptions that I have read about that trigger an earlier disembarkation are when the parents won't take responsibility for their kids actions and get belligerent (i.e. "my kids are in the right; the cruiseline is in the wrong...") or the kid gets belligerent and does things like swear at the captain (happened on Grandeur during Thanksgiving).

Archived