dress code at dinner on alaska itinerary?

dorito6778

i've heard that the dress code is slightly more casual on alaskan cruises...is this true? i wouldnt imagine wearing jeans in the dining room, but i suppose nice pants and a sweater on non-formal nights would be fine? my husband wont be bringing a tux for formal night as he normally would, but just a suit.

i like to wear my eskimo coat,with the fur around the hood,just makes dinner a little more interesting lol, it is the same as everywhere,as far as dinner is concerned,but layering your clothes works best for this climate,hope you have a great cruise,dont forget your camera and binoculars,you will need them:))));)

True story about Alaska cruises being more relaxed. Some years ago on formal night one gentleman at our table wore his flannel shirt buttoned up to the top on formal night. He considered this formal dress. It was a bit amusing with the rest of the diningroom dressed in suits and formal attire. He was the only one dressed in that manor from what I saw. :) It still makes me smile everytime I think about it. :) Other nights it was a flannel shirt with the top button unbuttoned. ;)

We actually saw more tuxs on our Alaskan cruise because there were so many "locals" who didn't have to fly to Seattle-thus more formal wear.

We were on the final sailing of the season and we were snowed on 2 days!

For men, I have seen fewer tux and more suits on formal night on the Alaska cruises and lots of nice sparkly cocktail dresses for the ladies.

on casual nights I haven't noticed a big difference between Alaska and Mexico ( my only point of reference). For casual dinner just dress like you would to go out to a nice restaurant and you will be fine. :)

It truly does not matter what the itiniery is. I will be making my 5th and 6th cruises next month to Alaska (B2B) and the formal nite dress attire is the same as Mex. Riv., Caribbean, Europe, etc.

Marilyn

We cruised last August on the Coral in Alaska. A Nice suit was fine for a gentleman on the formal evenings. The other nights were "country club" casual. There were tuxs on the formal evenings - if you don't want to carry one you can rent one and have it deleivered to your cabin (rent through Princess). Enjoy

I plan on wearing my tux on formal night(s) as I usually do, but on this Alaskan voyage I will be wearing my flannel underware and maybe a flannel looking bow tie in honor of the venue.

I coulda sworn I answered this exact same question before.

Anyways, I never understood why some people claim Alaska has a more casual atmosphere. Especially compared to the Caribbean or Mexico or other tropical destinations.

I mean, in the tropics, lots of people are in shorts and bathing suits for most of the day. At night, they're still in pretty casual clothes due to the heat.

In Alaska, it's colder so people wear more. Long pants instead of shorts, etc. Collared shirts are a good idea vs non-collared cuz you can get more protection from the wind if needed.

So, if anything, people are dressed more formally in Alaska than in other places.

But yeah, for Princess, there's nothing wrong with some slacks and like a polo shirt for casual nights and a suit for formal (instead of a full tux).

It looks like we're the only ones that noticed more casual in Alaska than Caribbean. Formal nights were still formal, but the other nights had a lot more slacks/sweaters as opposed to nicer shirts, sport jackets, etc. On the one night that we were in port until 10:00 many people came to dining room right from their shore excursion which meant a very relaxed dress code. No one was stopped, and it did not appear that anyone cared because most people looked tired from their outside activities. We got changed for dinner, but if we had not we would have fit right in. The ship was a "ghost ship" at 9:30 that night - most people crashed early that night.

Just don't forget your Muk Luks! :p

Would these be worn with a Muk Luks Tux?:p

It just occurred to me - on the Alaska trip, we should be seeing fewer of the tiny Speedos on, how to put this, certain people who shouldn't be wearing them (I'm including myself in that category!).:D

I'm bringing my tux on the trip. Wonder if I can find a plaid flannel bow tie...;)

Archived