Maybe an End to Chair Hogs

regnig

Chair hogs by the pool are bad enough, but hogs at the shows drive me completely crazy. It seems you have to be at the shows an hour or so before show time to find a seat. I have seen a couple of people, sometimes children saving several rows of seats. Even though they announce multiple times before show time that there is no saving of seats, they don't seem to think it applies to them.

When we were on the Sun Princess, people would eat early and then go to the 1st show and after that just sit and wait for the second show. You could not get near the theatre which as it is, is way too small.

Ah..yes then we have those people who hog....oops "save" chairs at various venues for the nightly shows. not really a chair hog story, but back in April of 07, we were making our way to see the "oh look a yellow bird guy"...(Steve Morris I think) anyway as we were trying to make our way into the lounge (along with everyone else), there was this woman maybe in her 40's with her daughter & friends that literally knocked over this older lady...did not say anything, just kept shoving their way through as if nothing happened. They grabbed the first 5 chairs they saw and sat their a**es down on them! My fiance & I made sure that the lady was ok and soon after approached the woman with some not so nice things to say to her (I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one). Guess her daughter didn't think her mom did anything wrong and started swearing at me.

The joys of cruising with rude passengers...isn't it just lovely??:rolleyes:

Ha! That reminds me of "Bingo Lady". I met her on HAL's Oosterdam last year. We had just finished a tour of the backstage in the theatre and we were standing down by the stage talking when I got yelled at by this old woman - "Would you LEAVE or sit down?" Mind you, the bingo didn't start for at least another half hour - they hadn't even started setting up for it yet. This was the "big jackpot" bingo. So we stayed around just for the satisfaction of knowing that Bingo Lady and her friends didn't win anything.

:D sunsurf, good for you, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut either. That was over the edge. And she thinks she did anything wrong ? I would have gotten seats right next to her, and make the show miserable for her. She made the show miserable for the older lady.:eek:

:D sunsurf, good for you, I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut either. That was over the edge. And she thinks she did anything wrong ? I would have gotten seats right next to her, and make the show miserable for her. She made the show miserable for the older lady.:eek:

Honestly..I just had to say something to her. I was so disgusted by her behaviour and then her daughter (who looked to be 16 or so) making the scene she did just topped it all off. I really didn't care though what her comments to me were. They are the ones that made fools of themselves. No class what so ever. I was just glad that the other lady was ok.

Re:the seats...they lunged for what looked to be the last available row that was seated together. The mom on one end and the daughter and friends filled the rest in between. The thing that kills me is that there were some elderly people left standing because there were no more seats available. That's when the four of us gladly gave them ours. So what if we had to stand by the bar...just meant we didn't have to wait long for our drink orders!!;) In all seriousness, I just wish there was more people out there willing to help others out.

According to John Heald, Carnival Senior Cruise Director, " The Cruise Directors will stress that if a chair has a shoe, a towel, a book or a small goat on it and it is not occupied after a 30 minute period these items will be removed by ship staff and in the case of the goat taken to the galley and turned into a delicious curry……..this has been a long time coming and we must make sure these rules are enforced.

I enjoy a nice curry as well as the next person, but it is not the fault of the poor goat if he has irresponsible owners.

I Am An Early Chair Finder. You May Call Me A Chair Hog. While I Would Love To Sleep Till 11am And Stroll Down To The Pool And Get A Chair, I Instead, Get Up Early Put My Stuff On It And Go To The Buffet Get Coffee And Fruit And Come Back. I Stay At Pool Till Around 2 Pm, And In That Time , Swim, Go To The Buffet For A Burger, Or To The Ladies Room. If Someone Who Sees Fit To Sleep All Morning Would Remove My Stuff, I Would Go Nuts. Really!

I Am An Early Chair Finder. You May Call Me A Chair Hog. While I Would Love To Sleep Till 11am And Stroll Down To The Pool And Get A Chair, I Instead, Get Up Early Put My Stuff On It And Go To The Buffet Get Coffee And Fruit And Come Back. I Stay At Pool Till Around 2 Pm, And In That Time , Swim, Go To The Buffet For A Burger, Or To The Ladies Room. If Someone Who Sees Fit To Sleep All Morning Would Remove My Stuff, I Would Go Nuts. Really!

There is no problem with you getting up early to get a chair. There is also no problem with you getting up to go to the ladies room and or get a burger. The problem is that many out there "Reserve" a chair and then have the run of the ship all day, leaving thieer chair unoccupied for hrs on end. If you are one of these people, I would be the first one in line to remove your stuff from the chair.

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

There is no problem with you getting up early to get a chair. There is also no problem with you getting up to go to the ladies room and or get a burger. The problem is that many out there "Reserve" a chair and then have the run of the ship all day, leaving thieer chair unoccupied for hrs on end. If you are one of these people, I would be the first one in line to remove your stuff from the chair.

Bob

The problem is compounded when chair hogs save more than just a chair for themselves. Sometimes they'll save them for their whole family and never use them or they'll use them and their kids don't need them or are never around. I am not anti-kid. We bring both of our kids with us when we cruise and they hardly ever use chairs. If my daughter wants to read, she sits at the end of my chair or finds an open one nearby.

My wife and I were on the CB April, 07, and arrived at the Explorers Lounge about 40 minutes before the comedian was to take the stage. There was a nice band playing. We sat down on a 2-person sofa and along came a waiter who took our drink order and my card, I signed, and while we were waiting we went to dance. When we came back there was a young couple in our seats. At the same time, along comes our waiter with our drinks, he looks at them, looks at us, looks at them and said, "That is their seat, I am afraid you will have to move." they got up, made anot-so-kind remark and left. I have never had that happen on a cruise until then- a nice :rolleyes:tip for him!!

• 1 year later...
My wife and I were on the CB April, 07, and arrived at the Explorers Lounge about 40 minutes before the comedian was to take the stage. There was a nice band playing. We sat down on a 2-person sofa and along came a waiter who took our drink order and my card, I signed, and while we were waiting we went to dance. When we came back there was a young couple in our seats. At the same time, along comes our waiter with our drinks, he looks at them, looks at us, looks at them and said, "That is their seat, I am afraid you will have to move." they got up, made anot-so-kind remark and left. I have never had that happen on a cruise until then- a nice :rolleyes:tip for him!!

I'm not sure I agree with the waiter although I'm sure it was great for you. If you got up and left, why was it "your seat" ? Does buying a drink guarantee you the right to keep sitting in the same spot even though you got up to do something else ?

If that logic applies, can I buy a drink at 9am at one of the pool bars and this will reserve my lounge chair for the day ? :p

This is probably the best idea - if no one is there and you want the chair - Take It - if they show up within 30 minutes - let them have it. If they show up later than 30 minutes - IT IS YOURS.

Ron

Ron

That is exactly what I do. Haven't had a problem. In fact on one cruise a woman kept putting her stuff down and then leaving. First time I waited a bit and then moved her stuff. She showed up about 45min later. I had notice the name of the book she was reading er I mean using to save her chair. The next day I found her book in the same spot, so I just moved it and sat down. When she showed up 1 1/2 hrs later, she grumbled but went on her way. On day three she tried to be clever by moving to the other side of the pool. I found her book once again and proceeded to help myself to her chair. She was not happy when she returned. On day four, she actually came out at the time she wanted to lay in the sun with her book and towel in hand and found a chair and sat down. She never hogged a chair on that 14 day cruise again.

That was one of my points in letter to Princess. If cubbies were available and "no chair saving" strictly enforced, chairs would always be available for those who actually wanted to sit.

I totally agree. A chair should be for sitting in, not for holding our stuff. If we're in the pool, we don't need a chair. Period. I think people worry that they won't be able to find a chair when they get out, but if we really reduced the number of chairs in use to those chairs with behinds currently in them, there would be a lot of empty chairs to choose from. Would it be such a crime if you had to sleep (or read, or listen to your iPod) two chairs away from your significant other, instead of right next to him/her? There shouldn't even be a 30 minute rule...either you're on the chair or it available for others to use.

I teach in a preschool, and it really reminds me of those little ones who are done playing with a toy for now, but want to hold it while they play with another, just in case they want to come back to it. Letting go and sharing is something that most of us learned at 3 or 4 years old.

I'm not sure I agree with the waiter although I'm sure it was great for you. If you got up and left, why was it "your seat" ? Does buying a drink guarantee you the right to keep sitting in the same spot even though you got up to do something else ?

If that logic applies, can I buy a drink at 9am at one of the pool bars and this will reserve my lounge chair for the day ? :p

Yes, by the same logic you can reserve your lounge chair for the entire day - provided you are only leaving your chair briefly to take a dip in the pool, go to the restroom , fetch a snack, etc.

How could you possibly think that getting up to dance while waiting for a drink is the same as chair hogging? I have this vision of a group of beautifully dressed dancers playing musical chairs and trying to find a chair every time the music stopped. Would they be allowed to drink what was at their table or would they have to order a fresh drink after every dance?

From what I've experience most people can get a chair so long as they get out of bed reasonably early. Most chairs I have found don't get full until 10:00am. Most of the time the people "left out" are the ones who stroll around poolside expecting to find a seat at noon. There are chairs located all throughout the ship. If you really want to be by the pool get up early and get by the pool. I find the better chairs are up top anyway since you get a better ocean breeze up there. You can also ask the pool steward to add a chair for you.

I would serious advise against tossing someones belongings aside. While this might make you feel vindicated it also could earn you a black eye and who wants that on a cruise.

I think people should weigh each circumstance differently. The person who leaves their chair to use the restroom or grab a quick plate of food should not be weighed the same as people who park their belongings all day. We have spent all day in our chairs but we observe the no longer than 30 minutes rule.

I think the best action is if you know that a chair has sat unused for a long period of time that you get the pool steward to remove the belongings. That way if the people show up you can say that it was not you who removed the items.

The only thing I say about using post it notes is that you end up with the deck being covered with wet paper. Plus the staff really is not going to play pool police all day.

Just weigh your options. Know that sea days the pool is very busy. If being poolside is important to you get up early. Never leave a chair more than 30 minutes unattended. Don't be afraid to ask the deck attendant to add a chair. Try out chairs in other areas. if you know a chair is being "hogged" address it with the pool steward.

Just my 2 cents.

I would lOVE to see a "vacancy time limit" instituted on board - after over 20 cruises - I have seen thousands of empty deck chairs that are staked out by 7 am, and not occupied for hours! Cruise lines (and beach resorts) should try and find a way to end this practice

It is not just the pool chairs. On my last cruise on the Emerald, there were major issues in the Princess Theatre. One person would come in and reserve the whole row of chairs, 9 people in the party. Fifteen minutes before show time and the theater was full, here is this one person with 10 chairs on reserve. After several announcements to advise people that they cannot reserve seats, the crew finally sat people in the reserved seats much to the chagrin of the 'chair hog'. Next night she was back again trying to reserve the seats. When no other seats were available in the theatre, again they sat people in the empty seats. There should be much more policing of this type of thing in the theatre.

What is wrong with expecting to find a seat at noon? People on vacation have different schedules. You may want to attend a class or play trivia in the morning. If people would not tie up the chairs when they were not using them the normal traffic flow would allow everyone to enjoy a turn.

According to John Heald, Carnival Senior Cruise Director, "yesterday Carnival Cruise Lines reinforced its no seat saving policy with all onboard management being reminded of the company’s policy and the Cruise Directors empowered to announce these measures at shows and over the PA system as well as in writing in the daily Carnival Capers. The Cruise Directors will stress that if a chair has a shoe, a towel, a book or a small goat on it and it is not occupied after a 30 minute period these items will be removed by ship staff and in the case of the goat taken to the galley and turned into a delicious curry……..this has been a long time coming and we must make sure these rules are enforced.

Hopefully as the parent company Carnival will push this policy down to Princess. I've got my fingers crossed.

I took my Mom on her first cruise on the Emerald Princess last March, Everything was wonderful except the problem with chair/lounge hogs at the adults only pool at the stern of the ship. Every morning chair/lounge hogs would "reserve" lounges as soon as the crew unstacked the lounges (seriously, only 5 of the 20-something lounges would actually have bodies in them after breakfast, the rest would have towels, shoes, books....whatever) the entire cruise.

By our last sea day I had HAD IT, I watched a pair of "towel reserved" lounges for 45 minutes, took the towels off and placed them on the life preserver box and my Mom and myself took possession. Within 2-minutes a burly German fellow came up and demanded that we vacate the lounges (claiming that he and his wife had only been gone for 15-minutes (the fact is they had "reserved" the lounges and then went up to the hot tubs a half deck above).

We had a heated argument for about 5-minutes when he finally stormed off........................only to return about 10-minutes later to continue to demand that we vacate OUR lounges. This fellow continued to yell profanities at me in German, as I am German-American, and to his surprise, I answered the "compliments" in English. This went on for another 5-minutes with crew members just watching from a distance. I finally had enough and was about to slam his head against the pool deck when he apparently realized how steamed I was, and he walked away.

Yes, it is the principal that we were also entitled to enjoy the lounges by the aft pool just as any other paying passenger was, and I wouldn't dream of plopping a towel on a lounge with the belief that I would have "dibs" on it for the rest of the day whether or not I ever came back to use it.

I'll tell you what though, my actions did cause a mini-revolution with other passengers waiting for lounges that had been "reserved" for more than an hour with no "body" in sight, as many then requested that crew members remove the offending towels, shoes, books........whatever.

I had witnessed the same garbage at MUTS, where a couple would take up 4 lounges.......(person on first lounge, their coat on the second, second person on third, second persons coat on fourth), only to look away when another paying passenger that wanted to enjoy the evening movie walked by looking for an available lounge.

In my opinion, these people are rodents.

I did make this issue known to the Princess rep that contacted me after our cruise.

Jim

Yes, by the same logic you can reserve your lounge chair for the entire day - provided you are only leaving your chair briefly to take a dip in the pool, go to the restroom , fetch a snack, etc.

How could you possibly think that getting up to dance while waiting for a drink is the same as chair hogging? I have this vision of a group of beautifully dressed dancers playing musical chairs and trying to find a chair every time the music stopped. Would they be allowed to drink what was at their table or would they have to order a fresh drink after every dance?

Burm, I just re-read your post and mistakenly thought you were in the dance club. What with the limited seating in a discotheque, and with people coming and going all night, I would never presume that my drink would guard my seat while I danced, especially before it even arrived. (plus I'd never touch a drink that was left unattended while I danced. I'd drink it before I went dancing !).

I've never been to the lounge so I'm not sure what the seating arrangements are. Maybe it's more like a restaurant where an order will reserve your table.

I think different rules apply to different locations. Chairs by the pool seem to have an agreed upon 30 min time frame (if you're not back in 30 mins it can be used by the next person). Earlier in this thread, someone posted that someone had left a water bottle on the elliptical machine while she did a 30 min yoga class - thus reserving it for when she was done ! I don't think the 30 min rules applies in a gym - you're either using it or your not. Seats in the theatre are supposed to be "non-reservable" so you can leave whatever you want on it (even other people trying to save your seats) and still have them taken by others. Chairs in a dance club, I think the minute you've left, they are free game. Why must the other "beautifully dressed dancers" stand while the occupants of the few available chairs are dancing simply because their half empty drink stands guard at their table?

Like I said - lounges I'm not sure - having not been to any. I suppose if I left a jacket or ladies shawl on the loveseat and returned moments later, I would have asked for my seat back but you didn't mention leaving anything and your drinks had not even been delivered yet. How was the other couple supposed to have known it was "reserved' ? How would you have reacted if the waiter had told YOU that the vacant seat you were in was occupied by that couple dancing over there ?

How was the other couple supposed to have known it was "reserved' ?

The server leaves a cocktail napkin/coaster on the table to indicate that an order has been taken. This also indicates to other servers that you've been looked after.

This is a completely different situation to the pool/chair hog problem.

Archived