Maybe an End to Chair Hogs

regnig

:rolleyes: Frankly, I'm amazed at what sheep people are (sorry, no offense intended to anyone personally here). How can a towel or a book keep you from sitting on a perfectly good chair. Someone famous said "You teach people how to treat you" and if you let people get away with bad behavior you are condoning it with your (non)action. Sometimes people are just way too polite. Here is what I do. I sit where I want. I move the stuff under the chair and if someone else comes to claim the chair I smile sweetly, and move to another unoccupied chair and do the same thing if there is another chair I can be comfortable in. If it happens to be crowded that's a bit trickier but there is NO chair saving. NONE I am teaching people how to treat me. Let me be clear though, I am not a rude person. I go out of my way to be nice to people but I REFUSE to be cowed by rude people. I figure I'm doing them a favor by teaching them a life lesson.:cool: If we ALL did this things wouldn't be the way they are.

This is probably the best idea - if no one is there and you want the chair - Take It - if they show up within 30 minutes - let them have it. If they show up later than 30 minutes - IT IS YOURS.

Ron

Ron

This is probably the best idea - if no one is there and you want the chair - Take It - if they show up within 30 minutes - let them have it. If they show up later than 30 minutes - IT IS YOURS.

Ron

Ron

I love the simplicity of it.

I often feel that we show the chair hogs more respect than they show us.

I love the simplicity of it.

I often feel that we show the chair hogs more respect than they show us.

It's not respect, it's fear.

It is hard to move crap off a sun bed. I do it, but it elicits a certain amount of anger in me, and anxiety in most.

We shouldn't have to do it any more than we should have to coral out of control teenagers (youth patrol now common place)

Deck patrol should be as present as youth patrol, waiters, entertainers and good relaxing times.

Chair Hogs will always exist - there is no way of getting rid of them - you have to deal with them the same way they deal with the system. If they don't like it TS!!!!

Ron

Reminds me of when I was at a department store a few weeks ago and found the cashier waiting on a customer (with a ton of clothes to buy). So I went to stand a few feet away with my one item. I was there for at least a few minutes, waiting for my turn, when someone came by with her daughter and started standing by the counter. I thought at first she jsut wanted to ask a question, but then I realized she was waiting to buy something so I said something (to let her know that I was next in line, just in case she didn't get it why I was standing there at the logical place). She said that she was next and had even placed her items on the counter before and the cashier knew that...she just wanted to look at some things. I made a comment that then she should had waited here, and not be looking at other things (and thought, why didn't she just leave her teenaged daughter in line if she wanted to look at something and also thought that many people would just let something go ahead if they have just one item and they have many). I told my daughter out loud (so they would hear me) that some people just have no consideration.

She still insisted she was next and when another cashier came by, immediately grabbed her. When the first cashier finally became available, she was apologetic that I was waiting but I said that wasn't her fault, but I did mumble something about inconsiderate customers.

So, you see, there are inconsiderate people on land too.

On Sea Princess last year,they had laminated cards with numbers on them and they would attached them to the back of reserved chairs and would remove any items when the time was up.

Something like this could be the answer, or how about this: A restaurant table like system. Number the lounge chairs. They could have a "reservations attendent" who checks them out to you, at no charge. You get, say 2 hours, then you have to recheck to make sure there is no waiting list, at which time you can re-check out the lounge chair. If you don't show up, they remove your stuff and put it at a "lost and found" where you can reclaim it later, and make the chair available.

Then everyone gets one at some time of day--and they know when it will be available. No reserving in advance except for waiting lists. If you don't show when your time on the waiting list is up, they erase it.

They could do this for areas where chairs are saved, like around the pools, but wouldn't necessarily have to do it in other areas where that isn't a problem.

Anyone think it might work?

On my last cruise a man two chairs down from me was sitting with his wife at the aft pool. She told him she was going back to the cabin for a shower and a nap. Five minutes later a woman wandered out from Carib Cafe with a plate of lunch, and asked him if the empty chair was taken. He said yes, it was his wifes. She left to look elsewhere for a chair. He just didnt want someone sitting next to him, and didnt care who heard the exchange. Unreal!!

Karen

Hmmm, If I had heard such an exchange, I would probably have nicely said to the "gentleman" -

"Since your wife went to take a shower and a nap, I certainly don't see why she can't use the chair now, do you?" :D

Something like this could be the answer, or how about this: A restaurant table like system. Number the lounge chairs. They could have a "reservations attendent" who checks them out to you, at no charge. You get, say 2 hours, then you have to recheck to make sure there is no waiting list, at which time you can re-check out the lounge chair. If you don't show up, they remove your stuff and put it at a "lost and found" where you can reclaim it later, and make the chair available.

Then everyone gets one at some time of day--and they know when it will be available. No reserving in advance except for waiting lists. If you don't show when your time on the waiting list is up, they erase it.

They could do this for areas where chairs are saved, like around the pools, but wouldn't necessarily have to do it in other areas where that isn't a problem.

Anyone think it might work?

I can just see the line forming in front of the deck attendant now! :eek: Great attempt at a resolution, but, what is to prevent a chair hog from getting a chair and wandering off without using it immediately. Granted, if a time limit was enforced (logistically, I don't see how that would work), it would limit their infraction to that time limit. On the downside, if I got a chair and wanted to relax all day by the pool, reading, doing puzzles, socialing, swimming, napping...I wouldn't want to be tied to a time limit.

I agree with Coiran. :D

I'm going on my first cruise :o , am dreading 'chair hogs' myself. I, however, think I have a different problem?

I have DD who is a 'fish' shall we say. She could be in the pool for hours upon hours.. If me, DH and her Dfriend are all together (DH and myself can sit still for longer than 10 min. giggle) and 'hog' a chair, will we be chastised?;)

I have a feeling not, and want to be sure of etiquette. But then again, I will NOT be out at 9 or 10am reserving the chairs (I did get a balcony for such a reason).

Done it many times - never had a problem. My stuff is in a tote bag so I don't use someone elses towel. I don't use a deck chair as a storage locker. I think a deck chair should be used as a deck chair by someone who is actually going to use it.

Okay, but when I go to pool deck I rarely actually get in the pool.

occasionally I'll go for 5 to 10 minute dip, but then now you're

suggesting that I shouldn't be using a lounger at all?

I mean, what about when the pool games start up? Lots of people

leave their lounge chairs to get a better view of the pool games, for

example, and pool games last like 45 minutes approx., so per your

theory I need to sit plastered to my lounge chair because I shouldn't

be leaving it?

I have never been one to pre-reserve a lounger. We gather our

things and we go to the pool deck and we utilize the chair for

a reasonable length of time, but if we leave our chairs to go up

on top deck to view the ocean, to go to the bathroom, to grab

some grub, then I want a lounge chair; I'm not talking any longer

than 30 minutes here either, BTW.

I just think it's ludicrous that one should have to take a tote bag

with supplies to the hot tub or pool, and eschew having a chair.

I have never heard of that anywhere in the world. If I'm in the

pool, then I want a chair to sit on when I get out of the pool.

to me that is very reasonable.

I would not want to set my tote bag with all its contents anywhere

near the wetness of the pool or hot tubs.

be leaving it?

AMEN!!!!

I'm going on my first cruise :o , am dreading 'chair hogs' myself. I, however, think I have a different problem?

I have DD who is a 'fish' shall we say. She could be in the pool for hours upon hours.. If me, DH and her Dfriend are all together (DH and myself can sit still for longer than 10 min. giggle) and 'hog' a chair, will we be chastised?;)

I have a feeling not, and want to be sure of etiquette. But then again, I will NOT be out at 9 or 10am reserving the chairs (I did get a balcony for such a reason).

lol...Don't worry, by 9 or 10am the chair hogs will have reserved their loungers already. I think they get up at the crack of dawn! ;) To be honest...they really don't bother us THAT much (maybe just a little) because we usually don't sit by any of the pools. We always seem to gravitate to the top deck and bask in the sun, taking a dip every so often. However, they drive me crazy on land vacations.

Hope you & your family have a wondeful cruising experience.

Enjoy!!

be leaving it?

You seem to missing the original post I was responding to - here it is .....

I'm certainly not meaning to start a controversy here, but I will play "devil's advocate" based on reality...

On our recent sailing on CB, we had our towels, etc on the deck chairs while we were in the pool. There were many times that we were in the pool for more than 30 minutes and were not paying attention to our chairs. Other times we had our things on our chairs as we went from pool to pool since two of the main pools are right beside one another. Does this mean that our chairs would be "released" and our things removed because we weren't on them for more than a period of 30 minutes?

I am saying that I spend a lot of the in the pool and spa (more than 30 minutes) and I do not take up a deck chair during that time. I use my tote bag. If you are only in the pool 5 minutes what you are currently doing I don't think anyone would have a problem with.

Princess, other cruise lines and most resort hotel are pretty clear about there policy - after 30 min. your stuff will be removed.

Let me just say that when we sailed the CB a pool attendent started to take away my husband's lounger (right next to me) as he was in the pool. :eek:

Someone must have been showing money to get one. It was a very busy pool day. Needless to say, he left it after I got in his face. :p

So you have to watch them too.

I have never "hogged" a chair ... but I really don't have a problem with it. Because of the number balconies on today's ships, finding chairs these days never seems to be a problem. As said in an earlier post, most people, if they are in the pool at all, are only in for a few minutes. So, to walk 100 feet to your deck chair has never seemed a big deal to me. At least not a big enough deal to get excited about!! A little exercise is a good thing.

The Sea Princess card idea sounds good. Also, it is reasonable to have a policy of 2 to 3 hrs. at a time for use of the chairs.

When cruisers pay what they do to cruise, it is only sensible to have the use of a lounge chair for a part of a day- and not have to deal with the unfairness of the unfair.

The cruise line can enforce rules- they could use humor and put a Chair Hog Box on deck for people to put the hogs' stuff in. Then, when the hogs have to paw through the lost and found- they might stop!

I'm certainly not meaning to start a controversy here, but I will play "devil's advocate" based on reality...

On our recent sailing on CB, we had our towels, etc on the deck chairs while we were in the pool. There were many times that we were in the pool for more than 30 minutes and were not paying attention to our chairs. Other times we had our things on our chairs as we went from pool to pool since two of the main pools are right beside one another. Does this mean that our chairs would be "released" and our things removed because we weren't on them for more than a period of 30 minutes?

We have never gone out and saved chairs early in the am for use later in the day, but if I am going to be in the pool I certainly do not expect to lose my chair or have to pay attention to time while I'm in the pool to make sure that I'm on my chairs once every 30 minutes so they don't get taken away.

Just my opinion...

There is no reason for a chair to be unoccupied for more than 30 minutes. Knowing the rules, it would seem that the passenger using the chair would come back within that time limit for a while anyway. Why risk losing it?

Too many people have abused the "no chair saving" rules and too many others have complained about the practice. Carnival will finally, finally enforce their own rule.

As usual, it is the few that make it difficult for the majority......

On Sea Princess last year,they had laminated cards with numbers on them and they would attached them to the back of reserved chairs and would remove any items when the time was up.

I was on Sea Princess in April - did not see any such system in operation on that cruise:mad:

The chair hogs were out in full force on the Sea Princess in January... no little cards in sight. Maybe whomever was in charge and implemented them left the ship and took his/her little cards with them.

here is a novel idea- when out on deck looking for a lounger, if you happen to stumble upon one, (or two, one for my wife, one for me), and they have an object on them, wait 5 minutes, remove the object and have a seat. If some one comes by and expresses their dismay about their lounger being taken, maybe they will also notice that I will need a drink and summon a server- oh, btw, finders keepers, losers weepers!!:D

Chair hogs by the pool are bad enough, but hogs at the shows drive me completely crazy. It seems you have to be at the shows an hour or so before show time to find a seat. I have seen a couple of people, sometimes children saving several rows of seats. Even though they announce multiple times before show time that there is no saving of seats, they don't seem to think it applies to them.

Chair hogs by the pool are bad enough, but hogs at the shows drive me completely crazy. It seems you have to be at the shows an hour or so before show time to find a seat. I have seen a couple of people, sometimes children saving several rows of seats. Even though they announce multiple times before show time that there is no saving of seats, they don't seem to think it applies to them.

When we sailed the CB in 2006, there was someone that would go around and tell people they could not save chairs. :) Seems that is not the case anymore.

Archived