Maybe an End to Chair Hogs

regnig

According to John Heald, Carnival Senior Cruise Director, "yesterday Carnival Cruise Lines reinforced its no seat saving policy with all onboard management being reminded of the company’s policy and the Cruise Directors empowered to announce these measures at shows and over the PA system as well as in writing in the daily Carnival Capers. The Cruise Directors will stress that if a chair has a shoe, a towel, a book or a small goat on it and it is not occupied after a 30 minute period these items will be removed by ship staff and in the case of the goat taken to the galley and turned into a delicious curry……..this has been a long time coming and we must make sure these rules are enforced.

Hopefully as the parent company Carnival will push this policy down to Princess. I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm certainly not meaning to start a controversy here, but I will play "devil's advocate" based on reality...

On our recent sailing on CB, we had our towels, etc on the deck chairs while we were in the pool. There were many times that we were in the pool for more than 30 minutes and were not paying attention to our chairs. Other times we had our things on our chairs as we went from pool to pool since two of the main pools are right beside one another. Does this mean that our chairs would be "released" and our things removed because we weren't on them for more than a period of 30 minutes?

We have never gone out and saved chairs early in the am for use later in the day, but if I am going to be in the pool I certainly do not expect to lose my chair or have to pay attention to time while I'm in the pool to make sure that I'm on my chairs once every 30 minutes so they don't get taken away.

Just my opinion...

According to John Heald, Carnival Senior Cruise Director, "yesterday Carnival Cruise Lines reinforced its no seat saving policy with all onboard management being reminded of the company’s policy and the Cruise Directors empowered to announce these measures at shows and over the PA system as well as in writing in the daily Carnival Capers. The Cruise Directors will stress that if a chair has a shoe, a towel, a book or a small goat on it and it is not occupied after a 30 minute period these items will be removed by ship staff and in the case of the goat taken to the galley and turned into a delicious curry……..this has been a long time coming and we must make sure these rules are enforced.

Hopefully as the parent company Carnival will push this policy down to Princess. I've got my fingers crossed.

As for it being in writing in the Princess Patters, it has been there for the last several years about no saving of seats or chairs. Like it has done any good?

The only way to enforce this rule is to have a staff member watching, especially in the early AM, for those coming out and placing things on chairs and not returning for several hours. IMHO!

I'm certainly not meaning to start a controversy here, but I will play "devil's advocate" based on reality...

On our recent sailing on CB, we had our towels, etc on the deck chairs while we were in the pool. There were many times that we were in the pool for more than 30 minutes and were not paying attention to our chairs. Other times we had our things on our chairs as we went from pool to pool since two of the main pools are right beside one another. Does this mean that our chairs would be "released" and our things removed because we weren't on them for more than a period of 30 minutes?

We have never gone out and saved chairs early in the am for use later in the day, but if I am going to be in the pool I certainly do not expect to lose my chair or have to pay attention to time while I'm in the pool to make sure that I'm on my chairs once every 30 minutes so they don't get taken away.

Just my opinion...

My advise in your case would be to let your neighbors know you are in the pool for an extended time. That way they can tell the "lounge police" you are just in the pool.

I hear your opinion, but just being on the CB, I can tell you that many people did not have your philosophy in that many people placed towels and other items on the chairs and did not show up for 4 hours after we had already been there next to them (God only knows when they put their towels down). We too go into the pool for extended periods of time, but always came back within our 30 minute time frame, if not to show people we were really there. We would exit the pool, sit for 5 minutes or so and just go back in if we wanted to.

You laugh but post-it notes would do it.

You write the time on the post-it and leave it on the chair....pool staff circle the pool and recheck later....

I promise you that it would fix the problem in NO TIME if people knew this was going on....

It is totally unfair of people to do this...there would be plenty of chairs if people would only share them.

And DJHsolara, you are the total exception and I think you know that....you don't make rules for a minority, you make them for the majority who are entitled to enjoy the same benefits as anyone onboard.

I think you are supporting the OP position. If you are spending the bulk of your time in the pool or pool hopping - why are you taking up a chair??:eek:

When we are in the pool or hot tub we place our towels near us not staking a chair. That is the considerate thing to do. Then, when you are ready to sit in a chair is when you take up chair.

I have a lot of sympathy for those who would like a chair and can't get one due to chair hogs. I know I've seen the same book or whatever, on the same chair, for several hours without ever seeing who it belonged to. It's one more case of some people spoiling things for everbody else. You see way too much of that!

I think you are supporting the OP position. If you are spending the bulk of your time in the pool or pool hopping - why are you taking up a chair??:eek:

When we are in the pool or hot tub we place our towels near us not staking a chair. That is the considerate thing to do. Then, when you are ready to sit in a chair is when you take up chair.

I'm sorry that you consider me inconsiderate. :(

I feel that if I am by the pool I do not need to give up my chair just because I want to get in the pool...and I don't need to time myself when I'm in the pool. If I want to spend the day at the pool, I shouldn't have to look for a chair each time that I get out of the pool.

I would never take a chair if I were not in the pool area.

Why doesn't the cruiseline put in some little cubicals for those that want to swim to place their things while they are swimming? That would free up lots of chairs I would think!

Exactly -- this would in particular work well for children, who tend to throw their towels down on a chair and hit the pool. Very few kids actually sit in their chairs for extended periods but there are their towels, taking up valuable real estate. Drives me nuts here on land at the club pool, too.

We were on the Caribbean Princess this past weekend. Since our balcony was unusable due to smoking neighbors, we spent a lot of time at the Terrace Pool (actually ON our chaises, not just leaving our crap there for hours on end). One day we arrived and took two chaises beside two with towels etc. We left there 1 hour and 45 minutes later, never having seen anything of the invisible occupants beside us. This is incredibly rude and unfair to fellow passengers.

I wrote to Princess this morning (about the smoke, chair hogs and disembarkation). I suggested "cubbies" in the pool area. Guests can use them while in the pool. Deck Crew can place items left in chairs for any length of time in the cubbies, so chaises are always available for backsides (not for storage). Problem solved.

I was on a cruise where some people who left their books on their chairs had them stolen. That might put an end to it (but not recommending it!:eek: ). Aren't towels property of the ship, so they don't really belong to anyone? Perhaps having parking meters that you have to put money in everytime you get up might work. After they expire the chair is fair game.

When we went on our first two cruises, you reserved your deck chair for the entire cruise on the first day. I don't remember any squabbles resulting in taking someone's chairs. After many cruises and even more skin cancers, I relax indoors. My DH goes outside to read, but never leaves his chair.

a small GOAT, huh:)

Well we will remember next time we are cruising not to leave any of our small goats hanging around....We DO have to keep an eye on our "kids" don't we??

Oh, and IF, we missplace one of our goats, I would much prefer some birria:p

Why doesn't the cruiseline put in some little cubicals for those that want to swim to place their things while they are swimming? That would free up lots of chairs I would think!

I suggested "cubbies" in the pool area. Guests can use them while in the pool. Deck Crew can place items left in chairs for any length of time in the cubbies, so chaises are always available for backsides (not for storage). Problem solved.

I think this is a great idea. I usually bring my pool stuff in a tote bag so putting it near me by the pool or hot tub is not a issue but a cubbie would be great.

Perhaps having parking meters that you have to put money in everytime you get up might work. After they expire the chair is fair game.

Oh no! If Princess sees this idea they will surely implement it as another "revenue producer"!!! :eek::D

I feel that if I am by the pool I do not need to give up my chair just because I want to get in the pool...and I don't need to time myself when I'm in the pool. If I want to spend the day at the pool, I shouldn't have to look for a chair each time that I get out of the pool.

Another person who would love to see cubicles for stashing your stuff while in the pool.

I'm the nonswimmer of the family so I'll park myself in a deck chair with a drink and a book to read with towels, sunscreen, etc. on the chair with me or on the little table. I sit over in the shade and when my girl gets out of the pool with her dad, they come over, the girl shares my deck chair and my guy hopefully gets a chair near us.

If people didn't try to take over chairs that they aren't using for hours (or even 30 minutes), chairs will be available for those who want to use them right away.

I'm right with your point of view here. Saving chairs whilst not in the vicinity of the pool is one thing but I do not see a problem with you saving chairs if you are in the pool itself, regardless of whether you're in there for more than thirty minutes or not.

If people didn't try to take over chairs that they aren't using for hours (or even 30 minutes)' date=' chairs will be available for those who want to use them right away.[/quote']

That was one of my points in letter to Princess. If cubbies were available and "no chair saving" strictly enforced, chairs would always be available for those who actually wanted to sit.

I have no problem at all with someone reserving a sunbed and then spending a lot of the time in the pool - although I would think over 30 minutes is perhaps too long.

What irks me beyond reason are the rows of sunbeds complete with sun towels with no-one in sight. We have also seen people go between two sunbeds, one in the sun and one in the shade - both reserved with the obligatory sun towel and book. There needs to be some system put in place that stops thoughtless people like this on cruises. Every cruise passenger should be able to find a sunbed, without having to do lap after lap of the sundecks looking for a 'vacant' one when there are dozens with no sign of a human body on them.

We have started to book balcony cabins for the very reason that we find it almost impossible to find a vacant sunbed when we want one, ie on hot, sunny seadays. We have now taken to spending the morning on our balcony and then trying to find a sunbed after lunch when all those people who get up at cock-crow to reserve their sunbeds have gone to lie down in their cabins with sunstroke:mad:

If they would police the situation in the early morning--6 AM to 9 AM mostly--they would eliminate the vast majority of the problem. These are the people who are causing the most problem, arriving at 7 AM, dumping books/towels/shoes on multiple chairs and then heading back to bed, or breakfast or whatever and then returning 2, 3, 4 hours later. Make one circuit every half hour or so, dump the offending chairholder junk in a bin somewhere and the problem would be solved in a day or two.

If they would police the situation in the early morning--6 AM to 9 AM mostly--they would eliminate the vast majority of the problem. These are the people who are causing the most problem, arriving at 7 AM, dumping books/towels/shoes on multiple chairs and then heading back to bed, or breakfast or whatever and then returning 2, 3, 4 hours later. Make one circuit every half hour or so, dump the offending chairholder junk in a bin somewhere and the problem would be solved in a day or two.

Exactly! It always amazes me (and p-sses me off) to see every chair around the pools covered in towels by 9am with no one in sight. It sounds from John's words that at least Carnival is taking the situation seriously and therefore perhaps will push that policy down to Princess. If you want to read his words yourself (or just get a good morning laugh) go to http://johnhealdsblog.com/2008/05/12/a-whose-who-on-lido-deck-blog/

By the way, John and his wife LOVED the Emerald and are going to try the Ruby next.

Archived