Names on staterooms

djhsolara

I'm unclear as to how a piece of cloth formed into a pet can be an invasion of privacy?

I really fail to see how a towel animal is an invasion of privacy!
I've had a couple of instances on RCL where the cabin steward went into my drawers to find something to put on the animal. It's not about the "piece of cloth" but about someone who isn't authorized to do so going through your personal belongings. THAT IMHO is an invasion of privacy.

Since name/cabin number is public (on door) what kind of info is used to set up internet access on cruise ship internet terminals? I heard cruise door card is not used.
To sign up for the Internet, you are taken to a log-in page. Your Username for Internet access is your first initial last name and cabin number (example: jdoec722). Your first password is your date of birth. While the first could be put in by anyone, chances are that only you know your date of birth. Once logged in the first time, you change the password to anything you want.

I've had a couple of instances on RCL where the cabin steward went into my drawers to find something to put on the animal. It's not about the "piece of cloth" but about someone who isn't authorized to do so going through your personal belongings. THAT IMHO is an invasion of privacy.

Once it was mentioned that the steward went into personal belongings not in plain sight, I fully agreed that it is intrusive.:)

Well with gay marriage now legal in California, it would be

nice to see Mr and Mr. or Ms. and Ms. on the door!

Isn't Princess Cruises headquarters located in Santa Clarita, California

near the Techacapi Mts?

Santa Clarita is located on the north side of the Santa Susanna mountains. I know this because I'm on the south side.

I don't see this as a privacy issue, but a security issue! I was not happy that our names were listed on the door for our last cruise, but I didn't realize you could take them off. My friend and I were cruising together - just 2 women.

What would be even worse is when a woman cruises solo. That's not something that is safe to let everyone know - "There's a woman alone in this room." I think that they should let pax know that they can take the names off. I'll definitely do that on my next cruise.

I don't have a problem with the names on the door, I kinda like it! But I could see how someone might have a problem with that. My advice would be that after you get your luggage that you just remove the name tag if you don't like it there! For me, I liked coming back to our room and seeing our names there :)

Having only sailed on other lines, I am kind of surprised to hear names are posted!

I can see how it could be an invasion of privacy and/or security issue for an industrious criminal. It would be possible to observe which passengers are well dressed and wear expensive jewelry, follow them back to the cabin, note their names, and google them to find their home address.

I cruise with my 5-year old daughter. A kidnapper could easily find us by searching our names on the internet and "visiting" our home post cruise. I know that sounds completely paranoid. I'm just saying it COULD happen -- for all of you questioning what could possibly happen. Just providing an example.

That said, I completely agree it would be very easy just to remove it.

You can just pull the name tag out of the slot, simple as that. Just make sure there is a way for your kids to locate their stateroom without difficulty. Maybe some little thing on the door or something might work.

BTW-By the name only, nobody will know if it is an adult or child in that stateroom.

Unfortunately Toto, they would. I recognized that younger children(under 18) are referred to as Master on their cruise card and name plate. Older gentlemen are referred to as Mister.

This will be my honeymoon cruise. I am thinking that they will have me listed in my 'old' name and my husband with his name. I think it would be wonderful to see Mr. & Mrs. .... on the door each time I entered. Is there a way to get it changed? I will be proud to be his wife and I can't wait to take his name:)
The card is made out in the same names you register for the cruise with. For instance, our first cruise listed my name first. For our next cruise with Princess my wife made the reservations and lo and behold her name was listed first. I never go by my formal first name, but that's what's on my passport and how we sign up for cruises - so that's what's on the little name tag.

I am sure that if you visited the Pursor's office and mentioned the honeymoon cruise, they would be happy to make a new tag for you. I don't know if the cabin steward can make this happen, but it won't hurt to ask him/her first. You might also want to visit the Captain's Circle desk to make sure your return passenger Captain's Circle registration gets started with your new name.

Two more cruises and we'll be Elite and I can't wait for that black name tag! As I walk down the hall toward the laundry room I take note of all those people who are getting their laundry done for free and want to hurry up and reach Elite.

Yeah, I have to admit that while I don't read the names too often, I do like seeing what level people are, lol.

It was funny though...on our last cruise my friend and I happend to glance at the names on our "next door" neighbors. My friend recognized one of the names on the door...turned out to be her cousin (by marriage) whom she hadn't seen or spoke to in years! :D

We were fortunate that Lorraine had taken the trouble to prepare "Koala Door Signs" with our photos for each cabin on our Sapphire Cruise Critic Roll Call. We proudly posted that on the outside of our cabin door. Made it easier to distribute reminders of privately arranged tours, shuffleboard, and other activities. With our KOALA buttons and door signs and some very active KOALA cruisers, the KOALA group became famous (infamous?) throughout the cruise and especially with the entire CD staff! I was completely taken aback when a member of the CD staff at the disembarkation lounge knew my name and said goodbye. And I was one of the less "active" person. What a cruise!

Now of course, we were not sailing in the currently active "pirate" seas -- though our itinerary did include pirate areas of the past.

Privacy -- hey we are inside a ship on a cruise!

We just sailed on the Caribbean Princess with a gay couple in celebration of their 20 years together. I ordered anniversary balloons and the sign for their door. I didn't even think about the names being 2 women until another hall neighbor commented how great it was that 2 ladies were celabrating an anniversary. They, we, and the couple all took it in stride. BTW, we had a great time. Our friends even got an anniversary cake at dinner! No one batted an eye.

In trying to rationalize this, I was thinking that there were MANY MANY young people on board, who's main purpose was to party hardy and had too much to drink. Maybe the crew was tired of them and wanted to get this cruise over with so they could leave for San Francisco to ready for their first Alaskan Cruise. Who knows! I am trying to keep an open mind about the Alaskan cruise and hoping there won't be as many young people on board. And by young, I am talking just barely legal to drink. We shall see.

Must have been spring break or something, because we saw and abundance of walkers on our cruise!

Is anybody else bugged by this, or is it just me?

The fact that a cabin steward would open a cabin door for someone unfamiliar to him (obviously, not a passenger in his section) is bothersome to me.

This is another good reason to not leave anything valuable in view of someone standing in the doorway, or passing by. The other reason is that cabin stewards often leave the door open while they're cleaning your cabin and anyone walking by can see inside.

Call me paranoid, but if the steward was at his/her cart or cleaning the bathroom, somebody walking by could glance in, see a camera (or $$, iPod, piece of jewelry, whatever) sitting on the desk and could be in & out in a second.

T

The fact that a cabin steward would open a cabin door for someone unfamiliar to him (obviously, not a passenger in his section) is bothersome to me.

This is another good reason to not leave anything valuable in view of someone standing in the doorway, or passing by. The other reason is that cabin stewards often leave the door open while they're cleaning your cabin and anyone walking by can see inside.

Call me paranoid, but if the steward was at his/her cart or cleaning the bathroom, somebody walking by could glance in, see a camera (or $$, iPod, piece of jewelry, whatever) sitting on the desk and could be in & out in a second.

T

We never left anything of value in plain view of anyone who walked by the cabin.

Yeah, it's worrisome for sure. Our cabin stewards have always learned our names quickly...and which one of us is which (I travel with a female friend, so it's not like they could tell which was Mr. or Mrs., lol). It really surprises me that one would let someone in that they didn't know. Even if it was someone he/she recognized as being connected with me, I wouldn't necessarily want them to be let into my cabin.

We have never given it a second though, and since our witness protection is no longer in force, haven't had to worry much about it. ;)

Our WPP is still in effect, but the "Agency" said not to worry because the Captain was in the program too.

I guess we never felt it was of any concern because everyone else on the ship was there to "Escape Completely" and they have left their trivial concerns back home.

Two more cruises and we'll be Elite and I can't wait for that black name tag! As I walk down the hall toward the laundry room I take note of all those people who are getting their laundry done for free and want to hurry up and reach Elite.

A word of caution.: :eek:

The free laundry service is nice; however, I have noticed that they are pretty hard on your clothes. My last cruise they tore two zipper heads off two pair of trousers and my newly purchased Princess t-shirts with graphics on them were faded, in just the one wash. My white ankle socks had tiny holes in them where they were clipped together.

When I called attention to the two pair of trousers, to the cabin attendant, he took them and returned them the next day with new zippers installed.

Well with gay marriage now legal in California, it would be

nice to see Mr and Mr. or Ms. and Ms. on the door!

Isn't Princess Cruises headquarters located in Santa Clarita, California

near the Techacapi Mts?

This already happens, doesn't need to be a gay couple..... the plate shows

Mr John Smith

Mr John Doe

This will be my honeymoon cruise. I am thinking that they will have me listed in my 'old' name and my husband with his name. I think it would be wonderful to see Mr. & Mrs. .... on the door each time I entered. Is there a way to get it changed? I will be proud to be his wife and I can't wait to take his name:)

If you can get your passport and other travel documents in the new name before you leave for your cruise change your reservation to reflect your married name.

If not I would go off of the earlier suggestion to ask your cabin steward, the Purser's desk, and or Captain Circle desk.

Archived