Princess Cruiser needs help selecting between Carnival and Royal Caribbean

We need information to help us make a decision on a cruise next year during spring break. My DW and I are planning to take our son and his wife with us on a cruise. It will be the first cruise for both of them. Since she is a teacher it must occur during spring break. Due to scheduling requirements we will be limited to cruises from Galveston. The choices are Carnival Conquest 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise, Carnival Ecstasy 5 night Western Caribbean cruise, or Royal Caribbean Voyager Of The Seas 7 night Western Caribbean cruise. Any of these are okay with us, but we are looking for the one that be more relaxing for us.

We have cruised on Carnival and Princess with Princess being our favorite. We have found no matter which cruise line the shorter cruises attract a younger crowd that seems to do more partying and drinking (to excess). Since it will be over spring break wonder which of the three would maybe have less partying/drinking. We don't mind drinking and will probably down a few ourselves.

Thanks for anyone that can give their experiences on these ships during spring break.

As platinum on both Princess and RCCL, I can try to address this.

I think the hands down choice has to be the Voyager. We have been on both the VOS and AOS with our family. I have also done a girlfriends trip on the VOS - they loved it! There is something for everyone on this class of ship.

The Ecstasy is a small older ship with a flashy decor. I haven't been on the Conquest. Don't let the massive size of the VOS scare you - it never feels crowded except for the occasional elevator and I found that on many ships.

Thanks mringenoldus for your response. I am not that concerned with the ship size as our last two cruises have been on the Caribbean Princess. Both times fully booked, 3100+ passengers. We never had any problems feeling like there were as many people onboard as there actually were. I am sure that can and is true on the RCCL ships from your report. Sounds like the key to family friendly is to stay with the 7 night cruises.

In adding my 2 cents I would definitely opt for the Voyager. Rccl has a much better product than Carnival IMHO. You may just become one of us Loyal to Royal cruisers!!!!!:) Good luck and happy sailing!!

We don't like the size of Voyager ships because there is so much walking. If you do book a cabin on Voyager, be sure to get one near the elevator.

If you like anytime dining on Princess, you will be happy to hear that RCCL is adding mytime dining to their ships. Check it out.

We like the mini golf on RCCL. Princess ships have so many swimming pools compared to RCCL. You will have your choice of two swimming pool areas on Voyager. We miss having a movie theater on RCCL ships but Voyager will have an ice show that is fantastic.

We have found just as many out of control drunks on RCCL short caribbean cruises as on Carnival. Weekend cruises attract that crowd. We have found an older midwestern crowd on the Mexican Riviera cruises leaving from the Los Angeles during the winter months.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I personally prefer the itinerary on Carnival Spirit from San Diego because it is the only Mexican Riviera cruise that goes as far south as Alcapulco and Ixtapa--much warmer ports for swimming.

I thought Voyager class ships had a movie theater, or are you talking about movies poolside?

I have been on Voyager and the movie theater is near the front of the ship, on deck 2. We saw Wild Hogs and maybe part of another movie. Wild Hogs seemed to run the most, pretty funny movie.

Another vote for Voyager if the price is not that bad. I enjoyed the ship, but yes lots of walking. We were in the front of the ship and was a long way to the aft for dining for instance.

I am simply gold on both Carnival and Princess, just booked my first cruise with RCL and looking forward to it. Even though I love cruising with both Carnival and Princess I would say try Voyager for something new and if the price is good that is even better.

Well, since you posted this on the RCI forum, what kind of response did you think you would get? :p I vote Conquest. It's newer than VOS and everyone knows (even the RCI fans) that Carnival's food is waaaaaay better!

Well having actually cruised on both lines, I do not agree and since you posted this last week you really have no comparison. The food on Carnival, NCL and RCI all tastes pretty much the same. Mass produced banquet style food. Not a big difference between any of them IMHO.

Quote:

We've only been on NCL and RCI. NCL wins hands down! Freestyle really fits us to a tee. We love it. On RCI, we found the food to be really bad, service to be bad, staff indignant and did not give a flip. Having said that, our upcoming cruise to Alaska is on Carnival Spirit. We chose not to do a repeat on NCL because we just wanted a different itinerary.

Will let you know how our Carnival cruise goes....

End of quote:

We have cruised on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. It's a beautiful ship and we had a category 9 aft and really enjoyed it. It wasn't Spring Break time however, but during Christmas time. I wouldn't say it was a "party" ship at all. We have also been on the Ecstasy and as someone else said, it is an older ship. It wasn't our favorite. Only category 11 and 12's (mini and full suites) have balconies. The rest are inside or oceanview cabins. We took a 4 day cruise on it and yes, there were more younger people on that cruise. If you decide against the Voyager for whatever reason, then I would choose the Conquest over the Ecstasy.

In adding my 2 cents I would definitely opt for the Voyager. Rccl has a much better product than Carnival IMHO. You may just become one of us Loyal to Royal cruisers!!!!!:) Good luck and happy sailing!!

I'm not arguing the fact that Voyager class is better than Carnival. Just curious how you came to that conclusion?

Bill

Since you are treating your grown children, if price is a factor, I would still also consider the Conquest, its a lot of fun too.

Both will be clamping down on smuggling booze during spring break, RCL especially. Iv seen just as many drunks on RCL as Carnival, so that wouldnt affect my decision.

My biggie is the Voyager is just plain gorgeous, but the kids may not care? A small thing to some, but it affects us is Carnival ships have that step up into the bathroom. We dont want to take up a HC cabin, but thats a accident waiting to happen for us on Carnival.

Both ships will have lots to do. Voyager's three story dining room is something to behold and we loved the promenade, especially the cafe.

How much is the price difference? To me that would affect the decision if I was paying for several cabins.

It would be a cold day in hell that I'd step on a carnival ship during spring break. Go on RCI.

Funny, my cruise on Splendour of the Seas in DECEMBER was more rowdy than that of the Imagination in April.

However, based on your cruise history... I can see how you came to form your opinion. :rolleyes:

From experience in cruising during spring break, I would avoid anything shorter than 7 days on ANY mass-market line. With that said, if price was not a factor, I would pick Voyager over Conquest. I liked Voyager more than Conquest's sister ships I've been on, but I wouldn't pay through the nose to cruise her rather than the Conquest.

My SWAG's:

1. If you like Princess better than Carnival, you will probably like RCI better than Carnival.

2. I have never sailed from Galveston, but from what I have read it seems partying and drinking are a given. There is more room to hide on Voyager when you want a break from that.

3. Personally, I really like the Fantasy class ships [like Ecstasy], but for a group cruise including beginners, I would go with Voyager. If someone in the group finds they actually don't like the "cruise experience", you can even find places to hide from that. After the finals of "Karaoke Idol" at the ice rink, I came out from backstage to find that all my friends had left and I started wondering how I was going to catch a ride home. You will forget you are on a ship occasionally.

Funny, my cruise on Splendour of the Seas in DECEMBER was more rowdy than that of the Imagination in April.

However, based on your cruise history... I can see how you came to form your opinion. :rolleyes:

Amen, brother. "He who has seen only Podunk has not really seen Podunk."

Archived