Sitting on the fence...anybody else?

Curly-Q

Okay, I know this is a long way off, but I booked a 2-wk Med cruise (Barcelona-Venice) on the Summit for Oct 2009--a huge anniversary celebration--even booked a CC Aft cabin! That's the good news, but I'm sitting on the perverbial fence here thinking about cancelling the cruise. I know I have until 70 days prior to cancel with full refund of deposit. I was considering doing a short pre- and post-cruise stay, but looking at Europe hotel prices, it seems so expensive with the falling dollar. I have enjoyed reading the reviews and this will be our first =X= cruise. However, with all the associated costs going up and up, I am beginning to re-think my cruise choice.

All I hear is bad news regarding the airlines, fuel surcharges, and the US dollar. I know there's no way to know if prices will come down. I had planned to do my own air, but after hearing all the bad news, I wonder if cruise air would be a better choice -- of course, the whole thing may turn out to be a financial nightmare! Then, after all my planning, I'm worried the cruise will be undersold, then changed or cancelled alltogether! :eek:

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but is there anyone else out there seriously re-considering their cruise plans???? Will travel become for only the rich and richer??? I am posting here, but this is true for all the cruise lines.

I'm sticking with my plans for now....at least until the 100% refund clock winds down on the deposit. I may check into putting a deposit on a closer cruise, then see which one will be the better deal in the end; and watch the airlines with their problems and decide if it is all worth it!!!

Okay, I know this is a long way off, but I booked a 2-wk Med cruise (Barcelona-Venice) on the Summit for Oct 2009--a huge anniversary celebration--even booked a CC Aft cabin! That's the good news, but I'm sitting on the perverbial fence here thinking about cancelling the cruise. I know I have until 70 days prior to cancel with full refund of deposit. I was considering doing a short pre- and post-cruise stay, but looking at Europe hotel prices, it seems so expensive with the falling dollar. I have enjoyed reading the reviews and this will be our first =X= cruise. However, with all the associated costs going up and up, I am beginning to re-think my cruise choice.

All I hear is bad news regarding the airlines, fuel surcharges, and the US dollar. I know there's no way to know if prices will come down. I had planned to do my own air, but after hearing all the bad news, I wonder if cruise air would be a better choice -- of course, the whole thing may turn out to be a financial nightmare! Then, after all my planning, I'm worried the cruise will be undersold, then changed or cancelled alltogether! :eek:

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but is there anyone else out there seriously re-considering their cruise plans???? Will travel become for only the rich and richer??? I am posting here, but this is true for all the cruise lines.

I'm sticking with my plans for now....at least until the 100% refund clock winds down on the deposit. I may check into putting a deposit on a closer cruise, then see which one will be the better deal in the end; and watch the airlines with their problems and decide if it is all worth it!!!

I don't know your age or health - but if you cancel and something happens you will regret it. Week before our med cruise last year 2 things happened.

Millenium hit rocks and cruise was cancelled - made out like a bandit as we got our money back and a free cruise. Second thing was my job ws outsourced to Brazil. We decided to take the cruise anyhow - found a new job when I got back. We booked Cruise Air - god a good deal maybe not great but good. We did do hotels on our own and would recommend the Claris - NOT cheap but a great hotel

Stick with it and decide LATER, when it gets closer. In the meantime, save your pennies in a glass jar. :)

I'd also recommend handing on as long as you can...especially since you have an aft ;) We did that cruise on Millennium and it was awesome!! You're lucky, the cruise is booked in US $ and it's along way out. Start putting $50 a month aside until Oct. 09 and you won't care what you have to pay for the hotel in Venice...Barcelona isn't as expensive. Tell your TA to add Cruise Air now and you can lock in the price. Then you can shop around for air on your own and make your decision. With everything being refundable, I'd hold on a see how it plays out.

Think you are worrying way too much about way too many things for something more than a year away. Just put the money aside before final payment gets here and you will do just fine. Why worry about something like the cruise getting changed on cancelled; if it is not selling they will lower prices before they would cancel. Try some positive thinking:)

Cruising is the cheapest way to vacation in Europe right now for people in the U.S. As for hotel costs pre/post, there are still deals to be found. You can get great rights through Hotwire, Priceline, type web sites. You can also pack some pre-packaged snacks to bring with you for the land portion of your vacation so you don't have to purchase food in restaurants all the time (we found a hotel with free breakfast, packed snacks for lunch, and just ate out for dinner while in Europe along with a coffee and pastry or some ice cream for an afternoon snack). Airfare is the biggest hurdle right now and unfortunately it will likely keep going up for the time being, but if you look hard you may find something reasonable. :)

Go for it-- we had never been to Europe & took a fantastic cruise Rt Barcelona on Century--it was a great experience.. Barcelona is a beautiful clean city with Gaudo architecture & other lovely places. Everyone is friendly (just beware of the pickpockets)

The pre-cruise stay we had at Atrium palace Hotel was perfect--it is walkable to anywhere in the city, close to shops, breakfast included & free internet . On the street there is a nice restaurant for pizza or dinner..

We got great fares on delta non-stop from JFK & saved weekly for the trip...glad we went.

We now have same issue for an E Medit trip in Sept 09 on Solstice...we are facing higher airfare & an expensive pre night stay in Rome viciinity..but we are doing our best to hold onto this trip

... Life is short!

I was going to go to the Med. But with all the costs of that cruise I changed my mind. I have now booked a Canada New Engalnd cruise. The cost of the Med cruise would have been more than $13,000.00 that was to much. So I booked the New England cruise and the most that cruise will cost is $10,000.00

And that is tours and flight and a prenight stay in a good hotel. I feel that it was a nice 10 day cruise and not a back breaker in price. Anyway I feel a cruise close to home is a better choice At least the money will be spent mostly in the U.S. and not in Europe.

I was going to go to the Med. But with all the costs of that cruise I changed my mind. I have now booked a Canada New Engalnd cruise. The cost of the Med cruise would have been more than $13,000.00 that was to much. So I booked the New England cruise and the most that cruise will cost is $10,000.00

And that is tours and flight and a prenight stay in a good hotel. I feel that it was a nice 10 day cruise and not a back breaker in price. Anyway I feel a cruise close to home is a better choice At least the money will be spent mostly in the U.S. and not in Europe.

It would take more than $3,000 for me to give up Europe in favour of New England!!

If you really want to do that trip - go for it. Airfare will not change - RADICALLY - during that time frame.

Just study.

Cruise line or independent air... just study it and be flexible. Since you have decided (or want to) do a bit of time pre/post cruise - you've opened the door in time flexibility. If you want to see some of Europe, heck the areas between Venice and Barcelona are gorgeous. Auvergne in France, etc. If R/T air from Barcelona is super attractive - go back.

But most of all - don't feel compelled to stay at **** star hotels that cruiseline mentality promotes. Sure, enjoy the ship and its oppulence. But there are charming B&Bs and homey ** hotels that won't kill your wallet.

Heck, last year I stayed in a terrific *** historic hotel in Zurich's altstadt for around $170 per night (w/breakast), The Adler. It was off season and the dollar is lower yet (it'd probably be $200 this summer) but you couldn't have found a place as nice in the major cities of the US for that money. There were decent cheaper places available too - right on the Limmat river - but I was opting up a little.

You've got be willing to shop price rather than ego. (You also have to leave all the bad news in the newspapers right there - in the papers - rather than in your mind.)

The actual cruise price is usually a good value. The way to cut down on your costs is to only come in one day early, and not extend your trip at the end. I do not know the Summit's itinerary but I do know at least one other cruiseline (HAL) is doing over nights in Barcelona and/or Venice so there is time to see these cities without paying extrafor the hotel stays. There is a point where you can not just see everything, so we always opt to come in one or two nights earlier and leave right after our cruise.

If we put off everything that had prices going up, we'd never go anywhere or buy anything...

The good thing about a cruise is that most of your costs are cemented in US Dollars when you book it...and you are unaffected by exchange rates except for that small percentage of pre- and post cruise expenses and what you do in port other than shore excursions...

And no one really knows what the exchange rates will do in the long run...We have a presidential election between now and then, not to mention all sorts of unknown turns in interantional and financial affairs...It could go the other way as well...

In any event, I'd stick with that Med cruise...it's spectacular...Best cruise we ever took...

As to pre-and post cruise hotels...My advice is to book something as early as they start booking rooms--usually inside one year out---Go onto TripAdvisor and compare all sorts of hotels...Just don't book a non-refundable rate...Get something you can cancel up to the last moment...Then constantly monitor hotels and rates right up to the end...If you can improve on your deal, rebook and cancel...If the big First class hotels are way too pricey for you, don't shy away from smaller local hotels...many will surprise you...

Good luck...

....it's spectacular...Best cruise we ever took...

Hi Steve,

Hey...something that we agree on!;)

OT, but wanted to let you know that our tour of the Peloponnese area is arranged.

That is a great cruise - we did it in 2006 with an aft cabin - I would love to go again! Many of the shore excursions you can do on your own to keep costs down. Book your Barcelona and Venice hotels early so you don't have to overpay and then just keeping watching for airfare sales, hoepfully to be cheaper than the cruise air. As I like to say "the only trips I regret, are the ones I did not take". As another poster said, you never know what the future holds; dollar may be worse, airfares even higher, health may go, the whole world may explode! So at least hold on for now, saving your pennies, it is a wonderful cruise!

Hi Steve,

Hey...something that we agree on!;)

OT, but wanted to let you know that our tour of the Peloponnese area is arranged.

Great, Susan...With three days in Athens and having been there before, I am sure you will enjoy this...There are simply some incredible archaeological sites...and it's nice to get out of the big crowded city...Enjoy!

My two sisters, my daughter and I did a TA in April. I thought many times of cancelling due to cost. I am so glad we went anyway. It was a trip that we will remember always. We splurged on tours, (Romeinlimo in Rome and FLorence and worth every euro, got to see what WE wanted to see and DO what we wanted to do.) We cut back and did not buy gifts and soveniers. I really wanted a pair of leather sandals from Italy, but did a tour of Lisbon instead. Research your ports and plan, plan. You really can get alot of enjoyment out of the anticipation. Once I had decided that we would go, I did not look back at all. Coming home flying over the Swiss Alps was awe inspiring. One sister wanted to spend four Euros for gelato, for her it was worth the cost. The rest of us declined until we saw her licking the spoon and we rushed to get another to share..Small price really for alot of fun. We ate "stand up" food in Rome. Wonderful experience eating and trying to converse with teen girls that were out shopping. They advised us what to order..I loved really seeing the ports on a "personal level". Not a bit sorry we did not do the museums. We waded in the French Riviera and in Lisbon. I do not regret one penny spent.

We're (almost) going through the same as you, OP. But, so far, our cruise air fare pp is cheaper than current rates...it's kinda like playing the stock market - makes it more fun.

I predict that, if the dollar continues to plummet, it will offset Celebrity's Med business, thus making it harder to attract American cruisers (that MIGHT translate to rates being lowered). We too, are booked for an overseas cruise next June, so all we can do really is just wait to see what happens.

Good topic. Although I have not yet read what others are saying, I bet it's going to be a long thread, because we're all concerned as you are!

On a side note, the price of oil is mainly impacted by two things: the falling dollar, and those morons from companies like Goldman-Sachs who keep on making statements to the media with their "predictions" that oil is going to rise to $150 a barrel by summer. I really wish they'd all just shut up....but, they are probably big investors in oil themselves.

We've booked a med cruise for next year (another line) to celebrate our 20th anniv. Reasons why we will not cancel:

1. We will only have one 20th anniv

2. The dollar could still increase and even if it remains the same most of our expenses are already paid for by being on the ship

3. Good health now, but the future and good health is promised to no one

4. We're not saving our inheritance for our children

5. It's ok to pamper yourself in celebrating milestones

6. We want check this off our list of 1000 places to see before we die

7. We really like Italian food and want to go to the source

8. I want to see places I've seen in the movies (maybe ride a vespa too)

9. I want to see the ruins before they crumble away

10. This will give me a break from cooking and cleaning

We've booked a med cruise for next year (another line) to celebrate our 20th anniv. Reasons why we will not cancel:

1. We will only have one 20th anniv

2. The dollar could still increase and even if it remains the same most of our expenses are already paid for by being on the ship

3. Good health now, but the future and good health is promised to no one

4. We're not saving our inheritance for our children

5. It's ok to pamper yourself in celebrating milestones

6. We want check this off our list of 1000 places to see before we die

7. We really like Italian food and want to go to the source

8. I want to see places I've seen in the movies (maybe ride a vespa too)

9. I want to see the ruins before they crumble away

10. This will give me a break from cooking and cleaning

Ride a vespa. VERY good reason!:)

Curly-Q, although I love cruising and believe in living life to the fullest, I'm going to present the other side of the issue. It sounds like you have real concerns about this trip. Listen to your gut. If it's not right for you at this time, plan something more in your comfort level. Any cruise is a "want" not a "need." (I know some will disagree with that!) We've all gotten in the habit of believing we "deserve" luxury items. That's one of the reasons so many are in such financial trouble.

My advice is to look at your financial picture. If your lifestyle and finances are in control. If you can afford gasoline, heat, college, and retirement, then go for it and keep the booking. If you still are having doubts, put some money away for your living expenses and retirement, and take an enjoyable, less expensive vacation.

We booked our second ever cruise last week (TA w/HAL). It has taken us a year to finally decide. I always want the best for the least and sometimes fail to do anything because of this. The price was great, we included airfare, and thanks to all your positives, I will not worry about rising prices, cancelled cruises, etc. Will stay focused on research. Thanks everyone, I have learned so much from you this past week.

My wife and I took the Med cruise and spent a week in Rome after. It was for our 50th Wedding Anniversary. Wouldn't trade that trip for anything in the world. We have been on 14 cruises and this was an experience of a lifetime. Go for it

IMHO don't cancel if you can possibly afford to go. You will make memories that you will have for the rest of your life. It is like saying you will wait until you can afford it to start having children - it will never happen - and you will miss out on all of that fun (?) Anyway - no one knows what the future holds - go now if you can - tomorrow?????

My 90 year old mother lives with us, she has money in the bank that she is "saving", she and my Dad saved it too, only my Dad has been gone for almost 13 years now and she is still saving! They never traveled - they always talked about all the places they would go "some day". Well some day is gone - she has money in the bank that some Nursing Home will probably get - or the government, and here she sits. She will not come with us. She sits and watches our cat while we cruise. I swore I would not be like them. I love my DH madly and we want to make memories together while we can. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

DH and I spent a total of 10 weeks in Sicily and Rome when our SIL and DD lived in Sicily (SIL sent there by the US Navy) We made so many wonderful memories, little things like sitting outside of St. Peters Cathedral eating chocolate Gelato. To the big things like the first time we walked into the Sistine Chapel or saw Trevi Fountain or sitting on our kids patio in Sicily and watching Mt. Etna as the lava flowed down the mountain at night.

When you look for hotels to stay in do not look at the ones that are real close to the main attractions, just make sure it is near public transportation. You will get a much better price that way. When we first were planning our stay in Rome I looked at the Hotels near the Vatican and the Spanish Steps the cost were too much for us. Then I looked out further and found a Best Western called Hotel Canada. It is less than a block from the Metro, and a GREAT Hotel. There were great tours where they came right to the hotel to pick you up. We got everywhere we wanted to go using the metro and buses and train.

We too are planning a Med cruise that is 18 months from now, we buy ourselves a gift certificate (using our debit card) every payday and putting the cash on our OBC. By the time we get aboard we will have plenty of money for shore excursions and the other extras.

GO ENJOY! LOVE LIFE!

book it, lock in the air with cruise line, do a short pre stay, if you wait any longer, you probably will never get another chance. the price of oil is going to kill the travel industry. If the oil goes too high cancel and you lost nothing.

Its never going to be cheaper, lock it in before its too late.

Archived