Ships with Adult-Only Areas??

riggins

Hi guys-

I'm looking for a cruise/ship that has great areas for adults-only. DH is a teacher, so we are forced to sail during school holidays. We're leaving the kiddos at grandma's for few days during Easter break and looking for 3-5 nights in the Caribbean/Bahamas. I know there is no way I'm going to be able to escape having lots of kids onboard, but I'd love to not have to share a hot-tub with them!! We've sailed DCL 5 times with our kids and I love the adult-only areas, but I'd really like to sail on a different line since its just us grown-ups this time. So, are there any other lines or ships that have nice, enforced, adult-only areas?

Thanks

Leslie

Princess cruise lines newer ships: the Crown, etc. have The Sanctuary. (And I hear they are adding it to other ships like the Caribbean Princess.) It's a stricly enforced adults only area up on deck with wonderful extra amenities like waiter service for meals, extra large soft towels on padded chairs, flavored water, misters, etc. We really enjoyed sitting out there with the peace and quiet and wished all cruise ships would have them. However there is a charge to use The Sanctuary.

Is that what you're looking for?

Royal Caribbean has a solarium pool area on many ships that is restricted to 16 and over. It has a pool and 1 or two hot tubs. The spa area doesn't seem to attract the children either.

RC also has programs for children up to 18, which seems to keep them occupied elsewhere on the ship.

However, I've heard the shorter cruises referred to as "booze cruises", which may attract a group of young adults that you might want to avoid as well. Once you determine which cruises you might be interested in, read the reviews from Easter this year to see if the particular cruise might be a fit for you.

I was on the Grand Princess this year during March break. the Grand had two adult only pools and there were no problems with kids trying to use them, as they all hung out at the main pool with the MUTS running all day. Some of the Princess ships also have an area called the Sanctuary, which is adult only. There is a fee for the use of the area but it comes with perks. You may want to search the Princess board for a description. The ship also had "youth security" on board. These were young college-aged people who kept an eye on the kids.

If you only want a 3 to 5 day cruise, you're going to have a problem avoiding the kids, teens and hard partiers. Those short cruises can be real party till you barf cruises, and tend to have a lot of younger passengers who will party hard. The suggestions for the Princess ships are great, but to do those you're going to have to take a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm familiar with the short "booze cruises" - we've done 2 holiday weekends aboard RCI Sovereign of the Seas for a 3-night cruise with a bunch of DH's co-workers. My biggest complaint on those cruises wasn't the drunk adults, but all the bored kids hanging out at the pool and hot tub during the day. Both times I've enjoyed the night life, but found myself longing for Disney's Quiet Cove pool area during the day. I'll have to check out some of your suggestions and see if I can find something that will work for us. Maybe I can talk grandma in to keeping the kids a little longer and we can check out Princess for 7-nights.

Thanks again!

Leslie

Take a look at RCCL's Navigator of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale which has an adults only pool area and plenty of areas to keep kids occupied. There is a 5 night Western Caribbean sailing leaving on April 11th.

Or look at the 4 night Granduer of the Seas Western Caribbean sailing out of Tampa on April 9th. Again this ship has an adults only pool area.

Carnival is currently redoing a lot of the ships it uses for shorter cruises to add an adult only area to them. I would ask on the Carnival board which ships this has been completed on.

If by "adult" you really mean "adult" then try the Carnival Conquest. They do have an adult only (topless) pool on the very top. And no I didn't try it :eek: but it was definitelyy there when I sailed on her and it was there last month when my friend was on her.

I asked Carnival and was told that they no longer have "tops optional" decks on any of their ships.

Their Spirit-class ships have an adult-only aft pool. On the Miracle in December, security did chase the kids out of the pool there. It was great!

There are a couple of refurbished Fantasy-class ships (Inspiration and Imagination) that have the new Serenity areas that are adults only. They removed the kiddie pool and have 2 adults-only spas, but no pool there now. Both do shorter Caribbean cruises. The other Fantasy-class ships will be getting these upgrades within the next couple of years. Unfortunately, Fascination won't have the Serenity area done before I cruise her in December (although the other refurbishments have been done).

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Static_Templates/Promos/evolutionsoffun/water_serenity.aspx

Celebrity's new Solstice will have an adults only area called the Solarium. Additionally, the Aqua Class cabins only accommodate 2 and have a separate dining area called BLU. At this point it will sail 7 night itineraries.

Check it out as an alternative.

B

We loved Crown Princess because it has so many pools as well as the spa pool. Families tend to be at the pool with the outoor movies or where all the activities are. We used the aft pool where we were the only two people in the pool.

The Radiance class of RCCL ships are great too. They have a wonderful adults only solarium pool with retractabel roof that is perfect for cool or rainy days. We loved having two hot tubs in there.

NCL is one of our favorite cruiselines for adults because it has so many different restaurants. We like dining in a different venue each night at a table for 2. Some of their ships have movie theaters, which we enjoy on sea days. They have an adults only spa pool.

I guess I recommend you try a different cruiseline and different ship each year until you find your favorite.

I was on both Carnival's Legend and Carnival's Imagination this summer. They both had adult areas. I really like the Imagination's adult area since the chairs had cushions on them. It was nice to just watch the wake go by as I was relaxing in my chair.

the Enchantment of the Seas does shorter 4 & 5 night cruises and has adults area pool with lovely padded chairs -- some of which are teak. They do not permit children in the pool/spa in that area however, the hamburger/hot dog stand is also located in the back of this "adults" area so there is a certain amount of late afternoon foot traffic from kids coming through to get snacks... (seems like a design flaw to me!)

The Solarium on RCL 's AOS was nice. It was for adults only and had a large pool and hot tub and a domed sunning area, and a bar. Very quiet - we didn't have any problem with kids coming in there (probably too quiet for them).

Archived