Patch first or Bonine first!

mwsrccl

Good Morning all! My mom is going with us on her first cruise next month and she does get motion sick. I have tried to tell her that a large ship is not bad usually and she probably will not feel anything, but she is not buying it. I have bought her Bonine, Wrist bands, and ginger pills and gum and her doctor prescribed her the patch. My question is what is everyone's opinion on whether she should try the patch first or the Bonine and stuff first? I am unsure if the patch will help if the Bonine fails late in the cruise? I value everyone's opinion! Thanks a lot!

I get sick seeing motion not just feeling motion. After you are sick it is hard to get rid of, YUCK! For me I start taking bonine the day before we fly and take it until I get home. It does not make me drowsy like dramamine did. I take it at night before bed.

It's much nicer to enjoy the cruise and not wonder if I will get sick.

Kelly

mwsrccl - I just wanted to pass this along to you. In April friends of ours cruised with us. Well, my girlfriend had brought along her Bonine and took it before we set sail. She also had the patch on. She was sick for 2 days straight. When I took her down to see the nurse she recommended that she remove the patch immediately. She said she had seen way too many side effects from the patch and that my friend had pretty much overdosed herself. I would stick with the pills they give you on the ship. The next day she felt much better. Just my opinion!

Good Morning all! My mom is going with us on her first cruise next month and she does get motion sick. I have tried to tell her that a large ship is not bad usually and she probably will not feel anything, but she is not buying it. I have bought her Bonine, Wrist bands, and ginger pills and gum and her doctor prescribed her the patch. My question is what is everyone's opinion on whether she should try the patch first or the Bonine and stuff first? I am unsure if the patch will help if the Bonine fails late in the cruise? I value everyone's opinion! Thanks a lot!

Personally, I'd try anything before using the patch. I had a bad reaction to it on my first cruise...couldn't see for a few hours. My vision became impared from it. I felt as if someone smeared vaseline all over my eyeballs.

Bonine works exceptionally well, I think. I'd just have her take it every day.

As I understand it the patch and Bonine both have side effects... drowsiness, lightheartedness, etc. I'd have her try the ginger first.

With the exception of some of the roughest conditions there is little motion on the ship and the ginger should do fine.

I think you'll find that the patch is the most "powerful" of all the remedies, but for many people it's probably overkill and Bonine or Dramamine or Ginger may suffice - for those people. The patch can make you drowsy or dull and the patch has been reported to have some not-nice side effects for some people. If Mom has a record of bad motion sickness, I'd take the bonine before departure and see how it goes. If it gets choppy and Mom isn't comfortable, put on a patch, eat some crackers and lay down for a several hour nap until the patch kicks in. Avoid greasy foods. ken

As someone who can get awfully seasick, my experience is that nothing works as well for me as the patch. I put it on the day before we sail. I'm not going to lie...sometimes it can affect my vision for an hour or so at first, but after that, I have no problem with it. There are times that even the patch isn't enough and then I take a ginger capsule. For me, they work great and take the edge off.

My advise would be to have your mom try the patch a week or so before the cruise and see how she reacts to it. No two people react the same way and as bobandkelly said, once you're sick, it's hard to get over it. I don't care how big the ship, I still feel the motion and the other remedies have offered absolutely no relief for me. If I didn't love cruising so darn much it would be much easier to stay on dry land!;)

Do NOT combine any of these 'remedies'. You will be ODing. READ the info on the patch packet. It can cause hallucinations - as it did in my case. I saw an elephant on deck!

I now take one Bonine a couple of hours before boarding the ship, and one every night just before going to sleep. Works wonders for me!:)

I live in a small town with one pharmacy and they don't carry Ginger.. am I looking to get it in a tablet, capsule, is it just like taking vitamins? I have taken Bonine and it does work but I do feel a little sleepy with it, I don't remember if I took it in the morning or night, probably first thing in the morning as that is when we got ready to fly, if I took it the night before do you think the effect is still the same?

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest ginger tablets first. They have to be taken more frequently than Bonnie, but by all accounts they seem to work for most people and have no discernible side effects. (If you know the tv show Myth Busters, you may have caught the episode in which they tested various motion sickness antidotes. They didn't test any pharmaceuticals that I recall, but they did find that ginger tablets were very effective.)

Bonnie if the ginger pills don't work. I've used it twice, but I have to say that both my mother and I stopped using them after a couple of days on our last voyage because they made both of us far too lethargic and weary.

Patch if all else fails. Other than slight lethargy I didn't suffer any complications.

Interestingly my mother (who gets queasy at the thought of a ship/boat) and I (who has suffered in the past from feelings of continuous motion following a cruise) didn't replace the Bonnie with anything and had no problems during or after the voyage. The seas were fairly calm.

I have always used the patch with great success. People get blurred vision if they put the patch on and then do not wash hands thoroughly. If you touch your eyes after applying the patch that is what tends to make your vision blurry. Make sure to use lots of soap and water after applying and you should be fine. If you are using patch do not take any other meds such as bonine, ginger would probably be okay because it it natural.

Candi

mwsrccl - I just wanted to pass this along to you. In April friends of ours cruised with us. Well, my girlfriend had brought along her Bonine and took it before we set sail. She also had the patch on. She was sick for 2 days straight. When I took her down to see the nurse she recommended that she remove the patch immediately. She said she had seen way too many side effects from the patch and that my friend had pretty much overdosed herself. I would stick with the pills they give you on the ship. The next day she felt much better. Just my opinion!

Do NOT combine any of these 'remedies'. You will be ODing. READ the info on the patch packet. It can cause hallucinations - as it did in my case. I saw an elephant on deck!

I now take one Bonine a couple of hours before boarding the ship, and one every night just before going to sleep. Works wonders for me!:)

Exactly. And I think the patch is too strong, if the seas are not rough then the Bonine should be sufficient. We are very prone to sea sickness and the Bonine has always been enough. Take it at night before you go to bed, even the night before your cruise. I have to continue to take half of a bonine for about a week after our cruise. Good luck!

We've used Bonine with good results. It has made my wife drowsy but then again it doesn't take much for her to go into la la land. I've never had a bad reaction to it.

The "patch" has a document accompanying it that is rather lengthy listing all of the possible side effects. I'll pass on that.

BTW - I believe that the pills that they give you on the ship are in fact Bonine or a generic equivalent. The worse case scenario for seasickness is a shot in a part of the anatomy not too often exposed to daylight.

The last few cruises we have not taken anything. The larger ships do tend to be very stable. If you are, however, prone to motion sickness, take the Bonine a few hours prior to anchors up.

Bon Voyage

I am very sensative to alot of these over the counter motion sickness medications... they basically knock me out. Have not tried Ginger yet. But did try the patch on our last cruise in May. Doctor suggested that I cut the patch in half and then apply it. Worked well for me. No blurred vision and I was awake for cruise too.:D My husband though did have blurred vision and the patch burned/itched the side of his neck, so bad that he took it off after less than an hour. Each person will react differently. I would also recommend trying the patch before you cruise. Hope you have a great cruise!

About Bonine... I don't know if there are different formulas, but I just checked mine, and it says "non-drowsy formula"...?

I think by taking it at night, it makes me sleep well and have no after effects the next day.

Yes, the pills the purser's office gives out are meclazine...which is the same thing as Bonine. As a matter of fact, you can get meclazine from your pharmacist - much less costly than Bonine brand.:)

Bonine really works for me. I get seasick very easily but not once since I started using Bonine. I take 1/2 tablet in the morning and the other 1/2 at night. I start taking it the day before I sail. No side effects that I notice.

i AM VERY PRONE TO SEASICKNESSand have taken 17 cruises!!!.My husband also gets seasick but I finally convinced him to join us last july on a cruise as he refused all along fearing seasickness .He only felt queazy on the first night and I gave hin 1 quarter of a Gravol tablet =same of Bonine or similar .He was fine -probably due to anticipation and nervousness

He never needed more . I never needed anything . Now that is a first

DO NOT USE PATCH you may not need it and medication absorption by the body may exceed needs and create more problems after the cruise.

The secret to seasickness Is NOT TO WAIT .the minute you feel queazy take something .If you wait it will get worse.

EAT .

Keep your stomach full all day

Also go out on deck look far into the distance-do not look at waves or get busy with something else Do Not Lie down

Breathe outdoors Walk Distract yourself by shopping or similar activity

Don't think about it and it will be fine

GO ENJOY !!!!My hubby agreed to go on another cruise .MIRACLES do happen!!!

Michele

I understand her worries because I've always had problems with motion sickness (I still can't read a book in a moving car!). First of all, it depends on what she uses now. If it's something that works well for her in a car or other moving vehicle, it should help her on a ship. Personally, I take ginger tablets and bonine. Ginger twice a day (starting a week before my trip) and Bonine once a day especially if I'm going to be going on a tender or seas are a little rough.

Other tips that may help her:

Get into fresh air and I start to feel much better if I''m feeling the motion.

Sit facing the way the ship is moving so that my inner ear doesn't get confused.

Look out at the horizon either through a window or on deck. If I can feel that I'm moving but can't see that I'm moving, that's when I don't feel so good because my inner ear is messed up.

Drink ginger ale or sprite. The carbonation really helps settle my stomach.

Don't just think that it will go away if you start to feel queasy because it doesn't often go away on its own for me. If I'm in denial about feeling motionsick and don't try to do anything about it, I'll run into a problem every time.

Archived