Rude Captain on Carnival Miracle? see for yourself...

batman1975

How did the passengers act?

um...did you miss the whole thread? You know the one the OP referred to in their original post?

:rolleyes:

Animal House, FOOD FIGHT !!! :eek:

Now that would have been funny...LOL

I hate when people associate rude with NY. I've lived 34 yrs in NYC and moved to Houston, Texas in 2000 and i'll admit there ARE rude people in NY but also houston, dallas, jamaica, caymans, mexico, etc. Each place has good and bad. The postives of NY is the world of languages, nationalities and bluntness of everyone. In NY if someone doesn't like you, you'll know in the first 2-3 minutes. In living in Texas, if you are not a "texan", you are an outsider to "MOST" PEOPLE. They'll also associate crime to NY. Has anyone seen the last 5 years of crime stats in this country? There are some cities that crime is increasing every month and are way smaller than NYC, while crime in NYC has decreased at record rates since 1999.

In the year 2000 New York had an estimated population of 18,976,457 which ranked the state 3rd in population. For that year the State of New York had a total Crime Index of 3,099.6 reported incidents per 100,000 people. This ranked the state as having the 40th highest total Crime Index. For Violent Crime New York had a reported incident rate of 553.9 per 100,000 people. This ranked the state as having the 12th highest occurrence for Violent Crime among the states. For crimes against Property, the state had a reported incident rate of 2,545.7 per 100,000 people, which ranked as the state 45th highest. Also in the year 2000 New York had 5.0 Murders per 100,000 people, ranking the state as having the 23rd highest rate for Murder. New York’s 18.6 reported Forced Rapes per 100,000 people, ranked the state 48th highest.

Me? Every city has good and bad......EVERY CITY !

You don't have to give me stats from N.Y.C., I'm from Brooklyn :rolleyes:

First indication when you land at JFK, if you don't keep up with the crowd you will get run over LOL.

Here you go: The Rudest City in the World from the N.Y. Times:

So, which city emerged as the most rudest? Here's what we discovered:

The Top Three: New York, Zurich, Toronto

Fred

He seemed fine to me....probably his 'rude' comments were partially because of English being his second language. What he thought of as funny came off sounding rude. The sexist stuff was probably because of the cultural difference and his age. I wouldn't have been upset.

You don't have to give me stats from N.Y.C., I'm from Brooklyn :rolleyes:

First indication when you land at JFK, if you don't keep up with the crowd you will get run over LOL.

Fred

True ! I think i'd rather be chased by a bunch of cab drivers in NY than be chased by bunch of men/women in the south because of my race, nationality or because i'm a Yankees fan....lol My wife is from Texas and when she moved to NY to be with me she would be very polite at hailing a cab. After not getting a cab for 30 minutes she jumped in NY mode and knocked an elderly couple down, finally she was officially in NY. LOL

Thanks for the link. If the Captain had left out the remark about pick you up in New York and deliver you back it would have been better. Overall not rude like I expected.

He said if he wanted to be rude he would say that.

Looks to me he was very professional and was very engaging in his comments. everything seemed fine to me.

Remember that the captain is not an american and sometimes there is a bluntness that comes from a persons translation. I am sure if he spoke to everyone in italian he could have spoken extremely elegantly and Spun the situation so that you would have thought you had the royal treatment!! But since he was speaking to us in OUR native tongue, it was slightly lost in translation and he still got his point across nicely.

True ! I think i'd rather be chased by a bunch of cab drivers in NY than be chased by bunch of men/women in the south because of my race, nationality or because i'm a Yankees fan....lol My wife is from Texas and when she moved to NY to be with me she would be very polite at hailing a cab. After not getting a cab for 30 minutes she jumped in NY mode and knocked an elderly couple down, finally she was officially in NY. LOL

Thats funny, she has to also throw in a jab with her elbow and knock the old lady over before getting into the cab. :D

Fred

I can see where you can call him rude.. he was full of himself in that video.

How can telling the truth be rude. The safety of the passengers, crew and the ship come first. Its too bad that we have ignorant people who can't seem to grasp the truth. Its too bad that we live in a society that says me first and screw you mentaility. In all honesty this is what describes the riot people.

Robb

Listened to the speech several times and still wanting to know from the OP what was rude about any of the things the Captain said. :confused:

Its possible that the OP was a passenger and not happy due to the missed ports.

Fred

Thank you OP for the link. I watched the video and don't see him as being rude. I think the upset passengers were looking for any reason to get into a dust up. The few comments that were made the might seem inappropriate was a cultural difference and not a slant towards women or New Yorkers. This happens often when dealing with people from different cultures and the upset passengers twisted this to suit their needs. It is unfortunate that the few upset passengers took it as far as they did and seem to cause a problem not only for the Captain but the other passengers as well.

That's like saying:

If i was a rude person, and not a gentleman I could say "Americans are Stupid and fat" But I am not rude so I wont say that.

It like saying "No offence" to someone after you have said something that they find offensive. That does not make the comment any less Offensive.

(BTW: Thats not my opinion I am just illustrating a point)

No it's like saying "I could have just kept you in the dark" instead I am explaining why.........

Honest and straight to the point IMO!

It was nice for those of us who read about the Mob from a far to hear what was really said. He was NOT rude at all. What he said was true - no cooking (wish it was me), breakfast in bed(wish it was me) - etc. He stated the obvious and anyone who got upset by what was said - would get upset if they had gone to the ports and nothing was open because of storms or got seasick because the seas were so rough because they didn't avoid....

Complainers are complainers and they are never happy!

The Captain is an older Italian - anyone who thought his comments were sexists needs to travel more. :) (or visit an old folks home)

I didn't hear or see anything inappropriate.

He sounds condescending but I think that was just his way of trying to be diplomatic.

I think some of the issues may have been cultural (i.e. the "ladies..." comment) and also language. I think when he says "your/my business", he actually means "your/my responsibility". (He made a comment about passengers getting sick and he clearly meant "responsibility", not "business".)

I do not think he intended to be rude. He has a limited use of the English language and was trying to explain why, although you still had the ports originally scheduled, it would just be in reverse order. It is not his or Carnival's fault. Hurricanes, expecially large ones like Gustov, spread out for hundreds of miles from the eye. The winds and waves are just as bad if not worse on the outer areas. They were trying to keep you safe, not ruin your vacation.:)

Wennfred? My wife have cruised only on the Conquest. What is your opinion of Royal Caribbean? We are thinking of cruising the Voyager from Galveston.

Thanks

I've only sailed on RCI's Sovereign of the Seas way back in the 80's when she was new and we had a blast. From what I have been told and have read on here, RCI ships are fun too. The difference is the food, some people say Carnival has better food.

We will have a RCI ship sailing from San Diego soon called Radience of the Seas and we will give her a try next year.

Fred

I've only sailed on RCI's Sovereign of the Seas way back in the 80's when she was new and we had a blast. From what I have been told and have read on here, RCI ships are fun too. The difference is the food, some people say Carnival has better food.

We will have a RCI ship sailing from San Diego soon called Radience of the Seas and we will give her a try next year.

Fred

Thank You. Wife and I went on our 2nd cruise this year from the new port in Houston and took my 24 yr old son and his girlfriend. Last 2 days his GF was so depressed. They are HOOKED !

As I stated in an earlier thread about the incident on Miracle, I would have also been very upset, not with the Captain, but upset with the few crazies that created the scene and stirred up other passengers. DW and I cruise partly so she won't have to do some of the things the Captain mentioned.

What person wants to pay good money to cruise, then be around a bunch of crazy acting people? If ever I'm on a ship and something like this happens, please Captain, put them off at the 1st available port.

DW and I actually spent 2 extra days on a ship several years ago due to a hurricane. Missed all but 1 port, but other than minor complainers, I don't remember any of the passengers acting like some of these did on Miracle. I guess that is how our society has changed.

For the poster about the sexist remarks. A LOT of cruise directors use that same speech in their welcome aboard shows or during the disembark talk.

I did not find it sexist as it is normally a traditional role. (especially in the south and other foreign countries). It is the same for my family. I run the business and my wife takes care of the house. She does not have to work outside the home like most families currently do. If she held down a regular job, then yes I would have to pick up some of the household chores.

One of our jokes is one of the reasons we cruise so much is so that we can get a decent meal.

Dave

I find nothing rude in that link.

I just got off the Miracle on Tuesday.

We missed the San Juan due to the weather and also had to postpone the Captain's dinner and formal night.

The Captain was very charming and personable.

Archived