Rude Captain on Carnival Miracle? see for yourself...

batman1975

I also feel sorry for the passengers on the cruise following this one because I am sure that most of the crew were still trying to shake off the crap from this sailing and were most likely NOT in a good frame of mind.

Halos - We were on the next sailing....lucky us. :rolleyes:

Actually, the crew was basically fine. I think they were glad we were nice and friendly to them. We had an itinerary change enroute as well (Tortola substituting for Grand Turk). The Captain (a very lovely gentleman) advised us of the change in itinerary and everyone handled it well. He also mentioned that the cruise prior to ours was a difficult one for the crew. Maybe that's why our cruise tried harder to be nicer to them.

We had a fantastic time (and, as everyone can see, are booked for 2009 already). :D

Personally I think that the Captian was very blunt in his speeking and some of his comments were down right sexist. "Ladies, you don't have to cook or clean or make the bed for a week". No one seams to find those comments offensive?

Maybe it was ment as a joke but with his delivery it sounded pertty serious to me.

I rather saw it as an attempt at humor to lighten up what could be a heavy situation. Taken into account the cultural and language barrier, I say that it wasn't offensive at all. I do cook, clean, and make beds. ;)

JMHO.

Halos - We were on the next sailing....lucky us. :rolleyes:

Actually, the crew was basically fine. I think they were glad we were nice and friendly to them. We had an itinerary change enroute as well (Tortola substituting for Grand Turk). The Captain (a very lovely gentleman) advised us of the change in itinerary and everyone handled it well. He also mentioned that the cruise prior to ours was a difficult one for the crew. Maybe that's why our cruise tried harder to be nicer to them.

We had a fantastic time (and, as everyone can see, are booked for 2009 already). :D

I'm happy to hear that. Thanks. :)

I think it looked like more people just standing around watching a few yahoo's. Not even close to a riot..........

I think both views were over exaggerated.........

Exactly! Couple of loudmouths in the center, mainly the one idiot waving the petition, and everyone else just standing around watching.

I'm happy to hear that. Thanks. :)

Actually, one other point, we left during the height of Tropical Storm Hanna - and, while sailing down past the Statue of Liberty, the Captain advised us that the weather was going to be a "little bit yucky" while we tried to sail through the storm (PS - those cute white baggies magically appeared all over the ship shortly after that).

We cracked up and the first thing we said to one another in the cabin was "If a Master of a Vessel can use "yucky" in a ship-wide announcement, he's OK with us." ;) :D

I watched the video and saw nothing rude-in fact I thought he was rather charming. Must be his Italian accent.

To the poster who said he was full of himself-you might be also if you have over 40 years experience hauling 3000+ passengers and 1000+ crewmembers around and not only were you responsible for their safety but also the safety of a multi million $$$$ ship.

If you want to catch rude click on the other videos on the side. There you can see the bu**head attorney who was totally rude and responsible for inciting the almost riot.

As my grandmother used to say some people would bi##tch, moan and groan if they were served a gold bar on a paper plate-they would moan because it wasn't served on a sterling silver platter. Don't know where that one came from (and I'm sure she made it up-she was like that) but it has always stuck with me over the years.

Exactly! Couple of loudmouths in the center, mainly the one idiot waving the petition, and everyone else just standing around watching.

I feel that while what I saw in the video clip may not amount to a riot, it still is a huge disturbance and very unsettling. I put myself in the position of the captain and crew members and I get sick to my stomach seeing it. There was no violence, thank goodness but the impact is still detrimental and I don't think I'd easily dismiss it.

We cracked up and the first thing we said to one another in the cabin was "If a Master of a Vessel can use "yucky" in a ship-wide announcement, he's OK with us." ;) :D

LOL...I'd feel the same. ;)

That's like saying:

If i was a rude person, and not a gentleman I could say "Americans are Stupid and fat" But I am not rude so I wont say that.

It like saying "No offence" to someone after you have said something that they find offensive. That does not make the comment any less Offensive.

(BTW: Thats not my opinion I am just illustrating a point)

Go back and open the link again, then open the other 2 links that are on the same Utube page. This captain was addressing those crazy folks, and trying to maintain a safe envirionment. I think he did a very good job. English is a second langyage for him, but he stayed profesional and to the point. Nothing sexisat about his comments either. I cant wait until Im not washing dishes,cooking or making beds for 9 days, and I AM a woman:

I am Bonnie and I approve of this post:p

If my memory serves me correctly, when this first came up on the boards a few weeks back the person telling the original story said that the CAPTAIN had told them it was none of their business where he took them. I thought that to be VERY strange and unlikely to have happened. It seems to me that the person who told that story was so upset with the change of plans that they most certainly sat there with their lip poked out while the Captain was talking and didnt even listen or give him a fair chance to explain. They did not hear him mention safety being his priority and that everyone would still have a great time onboard. The ONLY part of the whole speech that they listeded to was the end, when he was trying to make a joke in the broken-english when he said it was "none of their business" If I had been onboard I would have been glad that he was looking out for us! You know they had a great trip despite the changes! I wish those people who were onboard acting ugly could see the videos of themselves, or better yet show their neighbors, coworkers and church members how they acted!

Each one should have shaken the Captain's hand and thanked him for caring enough about their safety to make such a decision!

NO FLAMES!! THIS IS MY OPIOION!

I am Memphiscruiser68 and I approve this message!

I feel sorry for the crew who had to put up with the rude behavior. They should have dropped the passengers who were making a disturbance off at the next port or better yet make use of the lifeboats and tell them to go to their destination of choice.

Yep. I pictured something completely different. Like a riot:p A ship that big, most people onboard probably only heard about it. And everyone knows how rumors form out of hearsay lol!

The Captain went above and beyond the call of duty in his graciousness of speech. His ship, his decision and his reputation as a Master on the seas. The passengers were just that: passengers... no matter what they paid.

Every time I see Americans act like this, I am embarrassed. I am proud to be an American and I cringe when I think of the rest of the world equating us to that puffed up loud mouthed girly-man in the riot videos.

Surprised Philly didn't make the top 3 list, second only to NY (don't anybody yell at me. That's where I'm from ;) )

HEY!! I can...LOL

You know better than that...we are nice unless you are a cowboys fan...hehehehehe

:rolleyes::eek::p

Bonniemari, I love it . I always heard "Oh he thinks he's hot sh-- on a silver platter, but he's just cold t--ds on a paper plate."

I'm with the majority, I heard or saw nothing rude from the captain. He used more tack than most of us in his place would. When you are on a flight and the pilot says we're diverting this flight to another airport, no one throws a hissy fit and starts a riot.

It always amazes me at the inability of some Americans' to accept others cultures and non English speakers "brusk" (sp?) use of our extremely hard language.

I agree with the majority here that nothing rude was said by the Captain. Cruising during hurricane season increases the risk that you will miss certain ports or be diverted to others. The passangers that started the "riot" should be ashamed of themselves, particularly, if it is true, that they removed their tips for the hard working staff.

I pictured what I would have thought if I were in the lounge listening to the captain's message. It would not have offended me in the slightest. It's hurricane season, and I took my chances. I'm on a cruise, I'm going to enjoy it. I didn't think his comments were rude at all.

Archived