What is RCL like?

Amolin

We had cruised several times on X and loved it. After reading these boards we decided to try HAL and thought it was the best. Now we have found a cruise on RCL that leaves New York over the Feb. school break. (We don't want to fly anywhere that week & HAL dropped that cruise). What is your opinion of RCL? How does it compare - food, service, atmosphere? Knowing how we feel about HAL & X - will we like this?

We have cruised on HAL 7 times and RCCL 3 times. The first cruiseon RCCL, a 7 day in the Caribbean, was almost our last as we didn't feel it compared at all well with HAL which was the only other cruise line we had tried. But since then we have been on two other RCCL cruises and feel they have upgraded their food and service so that we wouldn't hesitate to go on another RCCL if they had an itinerary we wanted at the right price.

The ships are bigger and showier than HAL or X but not gaudy like Carnival ships (IMHO). As I mentioned they seem to have made an effort to provide better service and better food than we had experienced on our first RCCL cruise. The atmosphere is not as refined as either HAL or X but not as rowdy as Carnival. You don't mention if you have ever been on Princess but I would put Princess and RCCL on about the same level although I like the anytime dining option on Princess better than the fixed seat only dining on RCCL.

My suggestion would give them a try and see if you like it. Only you can actually decide that. I'm sure a lot of HAL backers will disagree with me but since we started trying other cruise lines we have had a good to great time on every cruise except for the one we took on Carnival. That is the one cruise line we will never sail on again no matter how good the deal seems.

Have a great next cruise.

We have also cruised on X and once on HAL. Our cruise on RCL a couple of years ago was fantastic. We had two suites, there were 11 of us ranging in age from 1 yr to 55 yrs. The suites were great, the ship beautiful, and the dining room was excellent. In fact, it was the first cruise where we wanted to tip the maitre D. I've never been on a bad cruise and RCL did not disappoint. Cherie

We have cruised on Royal Caribbean a couple of times and we had a great time, we still prefer HAL but if Royal had the right itinerary at the right price we would definately go again, I look at all the lines all the time. We live about 30 minutes away from Port Canaveral and if I wanted a quick getaway I would sail Carnival if the price was right.

Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line. The two things I don't like are that the food is only ok, not great and no matter what you do on board, there are crowds. People are everywhere, and unless you hide out in your cabin, it's hard to just chill.

Royal Caribbean is a great cruise line. The two things I don't like are that the food is only ok, not great and no matter what you do on board, there are crowds. People are everywhere, and unless you hide out in your cabin, it's hard to just chill.

You say the foods only OK and there is never a peaceful moment unless you hide in your cabin. Please tell me the GREAT part that you refer to.

We had cruised several times on X and loved it. After reading these boards we decided to try HAL and thought it was the best. Now we have found a cruise on RCL that leaves New York over the Feb. school break. (We don't want to fly anywhere that week & HAL dropped that cruise). What is your opinion of RCL? How does it compare - food, service, atmosphere? Knowing how we feel about HAL & X - will we like this?

RCCL is our favorite so far. We just became diamond members after our last cruise. however, we don't like all the ships. if you like celebrity (may try her next year?) and HAL then I would try to stick with the radiance class on RCCL, which is our favorite. We have gone smaller which were ok and one larger, the voyager class which was also ok (did voyager 3 times) but radiance fit just right. :p.. Now the bigger ships, ie, freedom class and now the oasis, we have no desire to even try. which ship are you thinking of? and which room category?

Royal Caribbean ships are beautiful and are great for families. Loads of activities and the entertainment is pretty good. Cabins are a bit smaller, but well laid out.

The down side is the quality of the food. Not great! RCI seems to value quanity over quality.

The cuisine on Celebrity and Holland America is much better. Even Princess has better food that RCI.

No such thing as a bad cruise!

Kel:)

I have been on RCCl two times. The last time was march of 08. We had a great time. The ship was huge! The crew and staff was wonderful. The food was so-so. Lunch in the main dining room was the same menu every day plus one new item. Lots of people on board the ship. For us it was a loud ship. The volume was up. Lots of bars! What would keep me from going back would be: too loud, too many people and the food.

Maria

I must not be much of a gourmand because I've always enjoyed the meals aboard RCCL. In fact I think their spa menu is one of the better ones on a ship.

I've cruised HAL, RCCL, & Carnival and am heading out on NCL in November. I agree with Kelmac-no such thing as a bad cruise. Every company and even every ship is different so just enjoy what's there.

I have stayed in every kind of cabin (small, inside, forward on RCCL first time cruise) to Deluxe Veranda Suites on the Noordam & Westerdam and wouldn't complain about a single one. I've ice skated on RCCL (had the bruises to show for it), partied with a Cajun group on Carnival (5 months after Katrina) and once dined with the captain at lunch in the Lido on the Ryndam. I wouldn't trade a single one of those trips-they were all fabulous.

I think you will love RCCL. Remember over a school break you're bound to have a lot of kids on board so you will need to make allowances for that. There are lots of activities going on but I was always able to find a quiet spot somewhere. And cruising out of New York is definitely one of the top cruising experiences because you can't beat the view. Sign up and bon voyage.

St. Louis Sal

I wonder what people look for in a cruise.

Does everyone eat gourmet meals at their "homeports"

Does anyone eat Manwhich? Do you eat pot pies or frozen pizzas? Do you eat fast food when the mood hits you? When's the last time someone had escargot at home? Maybe we are just simple folk and find the food on a cruise..any cruise, out of the ordinary. We have sailed RCCL MONARCH twice and enjoyed it both times. We sailed Princess once, also enjoyed it.

Cruising is a very pleasant way to travel. Will everthing go perfectly on our next cruise...I doubt it. Will we enjoy it anyway....YES! We will eat near gourmet dinners nightly. There will be no dishes to do,someone will turn down our bed,we will visit exotic places and we won't be working. Not bad.

I wonder what people look for in a cruise.

Does anyone eat Manwhich? Do you eat pot pies or frozen pizzas? Do you eat fast food when the mood hits you? When's the last time someone had escargot at home? Maybe we are just simple folk and find the food on a cruise..any cruise, out of the ordinary. We have sailed RCCL MONARCH twice and enjoyed it both times. We sailed Princess once, also enjoyed it.

Cruising is a very pleasant way to travel. Will everthing go perfectly on our next cruise...I doubt it. Will we enjoy it anyway....YES! We will eat near gourmet dinners nightly. There will be no dishes to do,someone will turn down our bed,we will visit exotic places and we won't be working. Not bad.

Well said!! :)

I just came off my 2nd HAL cruise on the 26th. UI have sailed with RCL twice with a third coming up in May 09. Now people don't beat me up but I prefer RCL over HAL. I am in my 50's.

On RCL you can go somewhere on the ship 24 hours and get food without waiting for room service. HAL only serve pizza and pasta until 1 am.

The waiters walk around the pool with the drink of the day.

Service from the staff is the same which was great. I think the food on Royal is much better (sorry I wan't impressed with the dining room menu) but loved the Pinnacle (went twice).

You won't be sorry doing RCL. I have only don't the bigger ships on RCL (Explorer, Adventurer and May will be Liberty).

Enjoy

Brinda

Was on only one Rccl but did not like the stations at lunch buffet.Hated that you could not eat outside.Hated that there were only 2 pools for 3000 guests.Hated that they were in your face all day hawking drinks-much more than HAL.

Liked the entertainment,dining room,beautiful ship.

Was on only one Rccl but did not like the stations at lunch buffet.Hated that you could not eat outside.Hated that there were only 2 pools for 3000 guests.Hated that they were in your face all day hawking drinks-much more than HAL.

RCL doesn't have table by the pool but I went in made a dish and sat by the pool to eat it.

As for hawking drinks I loved that part and really missed someone walking around with the drinks in the pretty glasses that you could keep. HAL doesn't do that.

And there were 3 pools on our ships - full ship but not crowded since they stagger the people around the pools.

Brinda

Does anyone eat Manwhich? Do you eat pot pies or frozen pizzas? Do you eat fast food when the mood hits you? When's the last time someone had escargot at home?

Seeing as you asked :) no we don't eat Manwich, frozen pizzas or pot pies. I'm a fairly accomplished cook, and quite picky about ingredients, so we seldom have fast food or "convenience" foods. Haven't eaten escargots at home in a decade, at least, but regularly have crab and lobster when we can buy it. Often make my own artisan breads. Desserts are generally homemade. Our biggest living expense is food, because I won't settle for poor quality. All that said, I used to be blown away by the food on HAL cruises. We recognize that we are fussy, and that onboard food very likely will not measure up to at-home food. However, there's a point at which my vacation could be ruined, if the onboard food gets too bad. We'd find another way of vacationing.

on our last RCCL cruise we ate lunch by the pool. Grant it we got grilled food from the pool area but there were table out there. you could have brought you food from the windjammer and take it out there? then listen to the cool styles of the calypso band while you eat and love life. :)

Not a table t be seen on pool deck.and don't want to pay ridiculous prices to get a fancy glass.But hey,everyone likes something else.I love the layouts of Hal ships.NCL pool deck was very similar.I love all the tables to sit and chat at.Perfect for hubby who likes the comraderie at these tables.

Everyone has different taste but, we did not like RCL much at all. We prefer HAL over QM2 as well. HAL has been the most consistant and enjoyable.

Archived