Paying for ice cream sundaes

laidbackin LA

I would prefer to find the line that allows you to get an ice cream sundae anytime during the day for no charge. I saw that on HAL and on Celebrity.

I won't return to Princess because it gives me a headache to sit so close to strangers at meals.

HAL and Celebrity allow my spouse and me to have some space at meals.

I won't return to Princess because it gives me a headache to sit so close to strangers at meals.

No meaning to be smart, but why do you get a headache when you sit close to strangers when you eat:confused:

Wow, somebody is cranky, maybe you need some Ice Cream!:D

If you don't like it - don't buy it.

If it bothers you so much that they sell it - cruise somewhere else.

Obviously enough people don't mind, because if they didn't get enough revenue from it, they would close it and use the space for something else. Simple supply and demand.

Well it seems as though we have people who want 'luxury' cruising at bottom dollar prices - wouldn't we all! I'm just glad to have a cruise line that offers what the majority of people think is necessary for the basic fare and charges you for the extras that only a few use thus keeping their prices to a level that I can afford. I LOVE to cruise but unfortunately don't earn a great deal it takes a long time to afford each cruise so Princess - keep your fares low even if I have to pay for the icecream. (And I eat quite alot)

I think the best part of cruising is that there are so many different cruise lines to choose from and so many different options available. Everyone can choose what fits their lifestyle and personalities the best. I prefer Princess. I think their prices are reasonable. I like the demographics of guests. I don't mind paying for ice cream now and then as a treat. But others may not choose what I choose. Go for it and cruise a different line if Princess does not fit your personality or lifestyle. I love the freedom this country gives us...the freedom to CHOOSE! :D

I'll tell ya all what, You all have the ice cream, and I'll have the creme brulee and tiramisu.

Karen

Works for me. We have free soft serve ice cream at work - 4 different flavors every day. It's no big thing to me anymore. What I do like are the sorbets offered in the dining room at lunch and dinner.

People seem to have the idea that cruise lines are taking things away. I on the other hand think that they are a better value now than they were 15 to 20 years ago. My wife and I first sailed on the Crown Princess in May of 1991 for our honeymoon. At that time they did not have a 24hr buffet. We ate every meal in the dining room at our designated time. They did have a buffet at the pool for lunch. But it was not to the extent that it is today. It was ok if you just wanted a hotdog or hamburger with some horrible salads. If you got back from a shore excursion between meal times and you were hungry there were very limited choices. We spent $2500.00 for a double outside stateroom back then. In 2006 we sailed on the Caribbean Princes with our 2 children and paid just as much for the 4 of us. With all of the choices that they have I can’t understand why people get upset because they charge for ice cream. I could eat ice cream 24/7 if I let myself. I have been on a diet for the past 8 months in preparation for our upcoming cruise in Nov and I haven’t had it in all of that time. I am looking forward to paying for ice cream at scoops. Having to pay for it will help because I have no self control.

This thread is actually a very good example of how the mass market cruise lines (or "brands", if you will) try to differentiate themselves. Ice cream offerings are one of many little such things... which end up being "big" things to some people, and that's completely fine... it's the whole point of differentiating. Here's some other examples: waterslides (Carnival), afternoon tea (Princess), butlers (HAL), freestyle dining (NCL), fresh water pools (Princess), ice skating rink / rock climbing walls (RCL)... and the list can go on and on. One could even include the type of bedding! Of course, the word "free" is thrown around a lot in these discussions, but we all know what we really mean is "no additional charge". The fact that some people care so much about "free" ice cream (or any other such thing) is simply testament that the marketing of brands using these differentiators works! But it can be problematic when we single out one (or two or whatever) of these factors on a single brand and imply it should be an issue for everyone. If it's a big deal to you... that's great... but maybe it doesn't need to be for everyone else.

Personally, I think it's wonderful to have so many brands competing for my cruising dollar, trying to find the right combination of little things that will sway me to buy their product instead of a competitor's.

I would prefer to find the line that allows you to get an ice cream sundae anytime during the day for no charge. I saw that on HAL and on Celebrity.

judging from your other post about your unexplained weight gain maybe getting free ice cream should be the least of your worries...

I love the souffles.

Me too! So how come I can't have free souffles 24 hours a day? Or even extra-charge souffles 24 hours a day? Heck, I can't even get them every night at dinner (but I can get ice cream every night at dinner).

Seems kind of silly that one dessert item would cause so much angst. Perhaps Princess should just get rid of Scoops and treat ice cream as they do every other dessert.

Although you get free 'ice-cream' on RCCL and have to pay at Scoops on Princess, on our first RCCL cruise last month we found it much more expensive for nearly everything else than on Princess and if you wanted to splurge on Ben & Jerry ice-cream you had to pay (just like at Scoops). The actual cruise was considerably more expensive than Princess although we did think the service was a little better. We also preferred the food on RCCL to that on Princess. Still love those Princess ships though:D

OMG:eek: I can not believe all the hoop-la about ice cream! Don't get me wrong we love ice cream but have never bought it from scoops and have never felt we did not have our fair share (or more) of sweets. I have let the kids buy it from time to time. Gezzzz you would think we were talking about caviar:D

I find it amusing to read of the 'FREE ICE CREAM'. Come on shipmates think about it..nothing is 'free on a ship. You have paid for everything in your fare. I like to refer to those food items such as 'pizza, hot dogs, ICE CREAM as 'NO EXTRA CHARGE.!

Did anyone mention the ice cream is also available at lunch in the dining rooms @ 'no extra charge?'

:confused: ;)

OMG:eek: I can not believe all the hoop-la about ice cream! ... Gezzzz you would think we were talking about caviar:D

Hey -- remember when you could get FREE caviar when flying international in First Class... Now those were the good old days before they started charging for every soda and pillow and baggage and phone reservation...

Seriously, I have to admit that charging for ice cream might be a "good" thing. I rarely eat ice cream in my normal (land-based) life. However, on my last cruise on the Emerald I actually ended up splurging nearly everyday at Scoops for some ice cream. Maybe the fact that I had to pay extra for it made it feel more special ("hey, I'm on vacation so I might as well treat myself to something") I don't know for certain, but I enjoyed it quite a lot. I fondly recall spending quite a bit of time each day trying to figure out which topping to add...

Archived