Hello from the Statendam

cruz chic

Hi,

Just checking in from the Statendam.

I don´t know if anyone remembers my I need to vent thread. Tried to search but no luck. Just wanted to let you know I got my early dining on board. All is well and we are in Santa Marta today. Very hot and humid. I´m at a cheap internet place. 1 dollar for a hour. a little cheaper then the ship! I have to say everything is fine but I liked my time on the Maasdam earlier this year better. They seem very disorganized on the Statendam. All in all still fine. I probably won´t check this thread again but just wanted to say hi.

I was just thinking, today, that there had been a few different threads with people having trials and tribulations before their cruises, and wondering what the outcomes were.

Thanks for checking in and look forward to your review upon your return...

Hi,

I don´t know if anyone remembers my I need to vent thread. Tried to search but no luck. Just wanted to let you know I got my early dining on board. All is well and we are in Santa Marta today. Very hot and humid. I´m at a cheap internet place. 1 dollar for a hour. a little cheaper then the ship! I have to say everything is fine but I liked my time on the Maasdam earlier this year better. They seem very disorganized on the Statendam. All in all still fine. I probably won´t check this thread again but just wanted to say hi.

I am so happy that you got your early dining. It was very important to you, I know. I had a Facebook message from Moe and he said that he and Cheri had spent some time with you. I have been thinking about all of you.

Guess what---couldn't wait until August for the Eurodam cruise so we have booked on it for March 28th-----Just seven days but it will hold me until the summer.

They seem very disorganized on the Statendam. All in all still fine.

I'm trying to stay positive here... I am looking forward to a relaxing trip on the Statendam next month. "Disorganized" doesn't promote peaceful relaxation! Please enjoy the rest of your journey and come back with details. (Maybe they are disorganized about things that don't matter as much to me... hope, hope)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to do a quick follow up to this thread. I would love to do a review but unless I grow another head and a couple of arms I don't think it's going to happen. I should be doing a hundred other things right now. The Statendam continued to be disorganized. This is a common thread IMO with HAL. Keep in mind I am a very oranized person however. The Statendam seems to be a little broken down in my opinion. The escalator maybe worked 1 day out of 26. Lots of burnt out lights in bathrooms that never seemed to get fixed despite several complaints. I got stuck in an elevator at one point. While these are not huge issues this seemed to be the most worn out ship I've been on. At this point I'm not sure if HAL is the cruise line for me anymore. There have been many changes over the years and I don't think it a best fit for me anymore. It remains to be seen however in the future. Thanks for all replies on this thread.

Hi lorekauf,

I do remember your "vent" thread and I am very glad to hear it worked out and you're dining as YOU wish... not as HAL wishes you wished :)

I don't have any plans to sail on the Statendam anytime in the near future but it is still sad to hear about the escalator, bathroom lights, et cetera. Are they out of bulbs or something? Fixing light bulbs should be so easy!

Have a great cruise!

Hi lorekauf,

Are they out of bulbs or something? Fixing light bulbs should be so easy!

Have a great cruise!

I couldn't understand that myself. Also some of the staff were the rudest staff I've every met on any ships. On the other hand I met several members on the ship that were the nicest I've ever encountered. It was very strange.

Did they fix it since my Oct. 25 cruise?

Bill

Hi,

To the west coast of South America via the Panama Canal and back to Fort Lauderdale. Very diffierent from any other cruise I've ever done. It was pretty amazing.

Wow, great itinerary!! What was your favorite stop?

I know it's not an excuse for not replacing light bulbs but Statendam was the first of the "S" class ships, came out in 1993 so is now fifteen years old.

As far as the infamous escalator (never knew why those came with the "S" class ships anyway and/or what their distinct purpose was) but I know they are being removed from Statendam and her three sisters when each ship enters drydock. Manbehindthecurtain mentioned recently that HAL will have a couple of inside cabins built in their place. Not sure if it takes specialized skills/expertese to fix them that is not normally on the ships (so has to be contracted in) but I'm just guestemating on that.

I just left Statendam myself yesterday and she is showing her age. She was due in to dry dock first this year for the changes all the S class ships will get, but now she will be the last. While I found the crew great as usual (the filipinos and indonesians), there was alot of rudeness or downright incompetence among the staff (in between crew and officers). Nothing to ruin a cruise over though.

Wow, great itinerary!! What was your favorite stop?

I know it's not an excuse for not replacing light bulbs but Statendam was the first of the "S" class ships, came out in 1993 so is now fifteen years old.

As far as the infamous escalator (never knew why those came with the "S" class ships anyway and/or what their distinct purpose was) but I know they are being removed from Statendam and her three sisters when each ship enters drydock. Manbehindthecurtain mentioned recently that HAL will have a couple of inside cabins built in their place. Not sure if it takes specialized skills/expertese to fix them that is not normally on the ships (so has to be contracted in) but I'm just guestemating on that.

There were a lot of great places but if I had to pick just one it would be Lima. I was not expecting much and I was amazed at how much I enjoyed being there for 3 days. There was a lot to see.

I just left Statendam myself yesterday and she is showing her age. She was due in to dry dock first this year for the changes all the S class ships will get, but now she will be the last. While I found the crew great as usual (the filipinos and indonesians), there was alot of rudeness or downright incompetence among the staff (in between crew and officers). Nothing to ruin a cruise over though.

I agree with your comments. I am just wondering...did you do the 13 or 26 days?

My in-laws were on this cruise (the 26 day version) and came back home yesterday--all I've heard through my husband is "they had a good time" so I'm hoping to get a more detailed review from them soon. I think this was their first HAL cruise (at our encouragement) and I know it was their longest cruise...We'll see if they want to do it again!

Archived