Unhappy with Princess STILL!!

kerryw29

We don't purchase any electronics, watches or jewelry in the Caribbean. Their Gold Standard is less than the USA and my DW gets as good as or better prices and quality in our small local jewelry store.

Ron

Business is business. If the cruiseline backs up its word with guarantees that it acts on then this is not sleazy, nor are the consultants shills. One can say the same thing about stock traders, credit card companies, and even travel agents. It is not really necessary for us to know their business arrangements if we watch out for ourselves and put a little common sense into our purchases ashore.

I don't agree this "business is business" thing. There are many cruise passengers who believe the cruiseline's personal shoppers are the ones who will tell them where to go to not get ripped off and these shoppers guides are not upfront. The most ironic thing about all of this is that many times the jewelry shops on the ships will sell the same item for less than they do at Diamonds International.

Perhaps someone else who saves these things could provide this information on this thread.

Anyone?

Also - Kerry29, have you checked to see if that same ship has gone anywhere near the same ports? Some delay may be encountered if the item had to be returned to the original store where purchased. In any event the credit card hold and the query to Princess (try registered mail) with booking details and specifics commitments made to you quoted may well be the next step. Good luck.

Business is business. If the cruiseline backs up its word with guarantees that it acts on then this is not sleazy, nor are the consultants shills. One can say the same thing about stock traders, credit card companies, and even travel agents. It is not really necessary for us to know their business arrangements if we watch out for ourselves and put a little common sense into our purchases ashore.

We always apply the question "Is this a reasonable price to pay for what value we receive?" If the answer is "no" then we do not purchase the item.

No it's not. There is an honest way to do business and a dishonest way. Not informing passengers that the shopping advisor works for DI is dishonest. She even had on Cunard polo shirts. In my case Cunard also informed me over the phone they did not receive a penny in commission . How is that honesty?

They are all part of carnival corps.

I am unsure where to post this...but figured a moderator could move it if need be.

We purchased a watch on our Panama Canal cruise in November. We made the purchase in Aruba on Sunday November 9th. Unfortunately we discovered the watch was not working a few days later (when we entered the EST timezone and the watch did not adjust). (this was an atomic watch and was supposed to do these things automatically). We then discovered we were given no owners manual with the watch :confused::eek:.

So We figured we could go to a Diamonds INternational (where we purchased the watch) at another port. Unfortunately - there were no more DI's on any of our future stops.

We then turned to passenger services to find out how we could resolve this problem. The shopping guy on our ship contacted us, and assured us things would be resolved. He asked us to fill out some paper work and return it to him. We did this before we disembarked.

Fast forward to now. We waited for a response...and have still not heard anything to date.

We also tried dealing with DI directly - and last communication was December 10th -= and still no resolution.

We are now back to trying to deal with Princess directly - and all we get are voicemails and the run around. We have left SEVERAL voicemails and get no calls back.

We are SUPER annoyed and frustrated....and only thank God this was just a silly watch purchase...what if this was a diamond ring or something!!! and we were having trouble.

the 60 day guarantee from Princess has come and gone...our next course of action seems to go to our Credit card company and get them to remove the charges.

We just wanted to give a warning and share our experience.

If anyone has any advice on how to get a resolution to our problem - please feel free to share.

Thank you!

Unless the watch has a built in GPS it will not adjust as you cvhange time zones - how does it know where you are? There is probably nothing wrong with the watch.

Ron

Unless the watch has a built in GPS it will not adjust as you cvhange time zones - how does it know where you are? There is probably nothing wrong with the watch.

Ron

I don't expect to hear from the OP again. I think they were misled or misunderstood how an atomic timepiece works and if they had a manual all would be well.

Mike:)

Read this

Atomic watches will be the most accurate watch in any country in which the watches are worn. When a wearer travels out of the country, the watch will no longer receive the radio signal. At this time, the watch will switch over to a regular quartz watch. When the traveler goes back to their home country and the watch receives the time signal again, the watch will display the time according to the atomic clock in their country. If the you travel through the different time zones of your home country, you will be able to manually adjust the time zone on the watch to coordinate with the time zone in which you are located.

Don't know is this helps or maybe someone has posted it.

AX extends the warranty on purchases. I think some other CC do also.

In any event the first time all the warnings flags went up I would have protested the charge with my CC co.

Don't confuse people with facts, Ron.

Yeh - I get you Rob - but people do not understand that you have to manually set the time - There are probably watches out there with built in GPS that does it for you and I am sure they cost $1000 plus. I do not understand what the OP's problem is????

Ron

I believe on Princess the shopper does announce during the port lecture that these places pay a fee to work with Princess. At any rate if you paid by Credit Card phone them as soon as possible and tell them the issue. They will then tackle DI to sort out the issue.

Where is the reactor hidden for the atomic watch? Sounds kind of dangerous to me!

Can you please pick up some bug spray? Your avatar drove me nuts!

Most likely most likely your watch did not receive the synchronization signal when purchased.

To start fresh -

Press and hold both buttons (at 2 and 10 o'clock) simultaneously for at least 4 seconds. The hands will go back to 12 o'clock. The watch memory has now been cleared and the watch is waiting to receive the signal. This can easily take overnight - so, please be patient. Once your watch receives the signal, it will be on to the proper time and date. However, the watch will set itself to the Pacific time zone ("P") by default. If necessary adjust to your time zone.

You might have to synchronization the signal ~

Simply press the button at 2 o'clock and hold for 10 sec. After approx. 3 seconds, your hands will start to move to the 12 o'clock position. A double 00 appears in the LCD display. After 7-8 seconds, a single digit appears (0-9). Within 9 minutes the watch resumes normal operation. To return to the saved internal time, press the 2 o'clock button.

I purchased a diamond ring at DI in St Thomas. Upon return home, I had an independent appraisal done. It appraised out several hundred dollars less than purchase price.

I called DI's New York City office. They instructed me to fax copies of the receipt and appraisal. DI called back with an offer for the difference, minus a small retail markup.

I agreed, and promptly received a check for the agreed upon difference.

It usually pays to RTFI. :p

Would you shop at DI again though???:rolleyes:

Would you shop at DI again though???:rolleyes:

itdjbw- you need to move a couple cruises to the Past Cruises section! :):p

UPCOMING CRUISES

Ruby Princess 11/08/2008 7nt Innaugral cruise :p <-----

Ruby Princess 11/15/2008 7nt 2nd leg of B2B Innaugral<----

Disney Magic 5/23/09 7nt Alternate Eastern Caribbean

1 Open Princess booking

Too funny! I never thought to ask but I find it very annoying too. Every time I come across it, I have to skip that posting unread because it is so annoying.:p

OMG, how funny! I thought I was the only one who finds that obnoxiously annoying. Thanks to those who mentioned it and maybe we can get the person to get rid of it. I, too, skip those posts. :D

OMG, how funny! I thought I was the only one who finds that obnoxiously annoying. Thanks to those who mentioned it and maybe we can get the person to get rid of it. I, too, skip those posts. :D

wow obnoxiously annoying - amazing!

We only visit DI to get our free charm for the free bracelet. That is kind of tradition in each port and never problem if it falls apart. We have always been a bit cautious about purchasing expensive items in a foreign port, let alone give out our credit card information.

wow obnoxiously annoying - amazing!

At first when I saw that avatar I hit the screen with my hand thinking it was a tiny ant. Then I realized that it was a permanent thing on his avatar. Now I just chuckle about it. You have to admit it is unique.:D

Marilyn

We only visit DI to get our free charm for the free bracelet. That is kind of tradition in each port and never problem if it falls apart. We have always been a bit cautious about purchasing expensive items in a foreign port, let alone give out our credit card information.

I agree. I would never purchase something expensive in a port that is catering to transient tourists. I did buy some loose blue topaz in Cozemel years ago but I only paid about 60 bucks for them.

Archived