If you caught a pickpocket in the act...?

We'd do the same, make a big fuss and a lot of noise while holding on tightly to our belongings. The pickpocket will NOT want to hang around. Depending on what you mean by "force", I would advise to check the local laws before even thinking of that. You don't want to end up in legal trouble in a foreign country.

Got one (actually two working together ) in Barcelona in May. An Australian girl was sitting on the end of a bench with about 3 kitbags around her waiting for the ferry to Ibiza. I sat on the other end while the wife went to use the 'facilities' in the ferry terminal. A guy sat down by the girl and started showing something and another guy walked by and picked up her bag. (Bear in mind, these guys were both smartly dressed). I just shouted at him "Oi! Thats not yours!" and he just dropped it and ran, as did the other guy. They don't want any trouble, just shout and they will disappear. The girl couldn't believe what they had attempted to do. Ah, the innocence of youth! Anyway, I gave her a bit of advice and she said she would buy me a drink. Just my luck...not a bar in sight!!

Simon

We were in Rome and were approached by a teenager who pushed a newspaper in front us (to distract us) I looked around and there was another boy behind no doubt about to pick my husband's pocket. We just pushed them out of the way and kept walking and they just walked away.

My mother while travelling in Europe has also had her handbag slashed down the side and hadn't noticed it till she got back to the hotel but she remembers some lady pushing into her.

In Europe I would not hesitate to shout and make a ruckus (IF I were to even catch them in the act -- and I am living proof that they are very good at not letting you know what they are up to). Mainly they are unarmed and what they are after is an easy mark and no trouble.

In the US, I would not do the same as there is a much greater likelihood of violence ensuing.

Got one (actually two working together ) in Barcelona in May. An Australian girl was sitting on the end of a bench with about 3 kitbags around her waiting for the ferry to Ibiza. I sat on the other end while the wife went to use the 'facilities' in the ferry terminal. A guy sat down by the girl and started showing something and another guy walked by and picked up her bag. (Bear in mind, these guys were both smartly dressed). I just shouted at him "Oi! Thats not yours!" and he just dropped it and ran, as did the other guy. They don't want any trouble, just shout and they will disappear. The girl couldn't believe what they had attempted to do. Ah, the innocence of youth! Anyway, I gave her a bit of advice and she said she would buy me a drink. Just my luck...not a bar in sight!!

Simon

No bar in site, but I am sure the Mrs was VERY CLOSE!

I was traveling with 3 Japanese Americans ladies and while in Barcelona..3 young girls attempted to pick my friend's purse..She caught the young girl's hand in her purse and called her a thief..Of course she denied this charge..Sue with her Janpanese accented English and the other's Spanish accented English..the resulting conversation was quite amusing..For those who are familar with the term..Madder than a wet Banty Hen...Sue sure was angry...All 5' and 100#..The three disappeared into the crowd when she shouted Police..We had been well educated on pickpockets and were prepared if approached..

Best Advice...Educate yourself and learn to blend in the crowd...If you make yourself a target..They will find you and your belongings..

I have always heard that rubber bands around a wallet make it very tough to lift a wallet. I keep my money in one of those round the neck purses that have cables as straps. They are readily available at TravelSmith, for example. Actually I have two of them, one for GBP and one for Euros, since I often need both on a trip.

Pickpockets are criminals of stealth rather than force. I think it would be unusual for one whose gig was blown to do anything but avoid confrontation and melt away (avoiding confrontation is the pickpocket MO).

Many many years ago (as young men;)) a buddy and I were 'set upon' by a bunch of newpaper wielding children out in front of Notre Dame de Paris. My friend reacted more strongly than I and clocked the lead child perp in the forehead with the palm of his hand. He knocked the kid back a couple of feet; it startled me too as an observer. But the kids immediately withdrew a good distance and 'buzzed off' to happier hunting grounds.

My husband and I have experienced this in Rome many times. Often it's a woman distracting you with a cardboard sign or newspaper while her child is trying to pick your pocket. Or, like when we were waiting on the Vatican Museum line, one came up and touched my hair while the other one put her hand in my pocket. We always keep our money and passport safe in a money belt worn under our pants so we have nothing to worry about. But I agree - scream and shout and they'll go away.

from reading this thread, hope all CC readers get the idea of:

wear a moneybelt for your $$$ and passport and other important stuff

in your pockets just have a bit of $$, not a lot

why make it easy for the pickpockets? and when I hear about women having open purses ie no zippers--wow, can't believe it?

just being aware is the main idea here and wear a moneybelt!:D

Carry a small travel umbrella with you, hang it on your wrist, and at the first sign of trouble from anyone who pushes into you or shoves something in your face swing it and give them a good whack. Worked for me in London-I fought off teenage muggers this way.

susiesan - Whereabouts in London were you? I often go up to town in the evenings, and catch the tube, and i've never seen any trouble.

Well done for fighting back, but personally I wouldn't just in case they are carrying knives.

Carry a small travel umbrella with you, hang it on your wrist, and at the first sign of trouble from anyone who pushes into you or shoves something in your face swing it and give them a good whack. Worked for me in London-I fought off teenage muggers this way.

This cracks me up! We were in Barcelona in October and it drizzled on and off. We carried travel umbrellas everywhere we went and used them quite a bit. Since BCN has such a reputation for pickpockets, I called it my "bonker"--I was just waiting for someone to try something and BONK I would get them! I felt quite powerful!

Cathy

I absolutely love that idea! I already had one packed...so I will definitely be carrying it around now! Thanks!! :)

susiesan - Whereabouts in London were you? I often go up to town in the evenings, and catch the tube, and i've never seen any trouble.

Well done for fighting back, but personally I wouldn't just in case they are carrying knives.

I was in a suburban area, at a bus stop, at night. My mother was with me. We were staying with my sister who lives there, coming home after seeing a play. There were two young teenage boys, maybe 13 or 14. They heard us talking and knew we were Americans. I had a feeling they weren't armed, that this as to be a crime of opportunity. And if they had a knife I would have knocked it out of their hand with the umbrella.We are going to be in Rome in April for 2 days before a cruise and I plan to carry the umbrella even if it's sunny.

Unfortunately a lot of them carry knives the entire time. I'm really glad you were successful, but to others considering using force just think if your possessions are worth the risk of getting hurt.

My mother was mugged in Barcelona, when she was walking along The Ramblas with my father in the daytime. The thief was on a motorbike, and as he grabbed her bag she couldn't get her hand out of the pocket of her jacket, and therefore couldn't let go of the bag - he dragged her along the ground for ages before he gave up.

We are going to be in Rome in April for 2 days before a cruise and I plan to carry the umbrella even if it's sunny.

Why don't you just use a moneybelt for those two days instead of walking around on a sunny day with an umbrella looking like an idiot? (Just my opinion.) The more stuff you carry, the better target you present.

Make a lot of noise and a big fuss -- the pickpocket will, in all probability, take off like a bat out of h#$&...

Force? Alsolutely not! Nothing that you are carrying is worth putting yourself in harms way!

I return to my original post. Make a lot of noise and make a big fuss and they will, in all probability, go away.

...been there.....and had that done to me on a bus in Rome......by a young girl who was 5-2 and 100 lbs traveling with a young boy about the same size...........I am 6-4 250 lbs......and I did nothing, since I knew the money was gone.

I thought later I should have done something....but glad I didn't.

You do not know how many others are with them......you might be confronting 6 people.......and..she probably had already pass the money to a cohort, so confronting her would have turned up nothing.......and if I got mad and started swinging or......I would have been the one hauled away by the cops.

The best defense......is to have a good defense........be prepared and aware....;)

In Rome a pickpocket was getting ready to rob one of my traveling companions in the Piazza Navonna. It was so crowded with tourists and she was casual with her big unzipped bag. I just happened to turn around to say something to her and spotted the thief peering in her bag when he saw me look he just melted back into the crowd. Another time a thief was following me and another woman in our group, and one of the guys on the tour waved at us and that thief just did the same thing - turned away and sought greener pastures. We were all totally unaware until another in our group watching from the bus clued us in.

You have to be aware and don't make it easy. Get one of those under clothing wallets from Travelsmith to hold your money, credit/debit cards and passports. Don't carry anything you wouldn't mind losing in your purse or back pocket. I have copies of all my cards and documents with me I keep in the safe and numbers to report stolen cards. My husband keeps his wallet in his front posket - a little weird, he tells me, but the alternative would really be awful. And watch out for the charming old lady pinning a flower on you, the kids playing soccer or the violinist - sometimes they are just diversions while their friends clean you out. I found out "Beat it! Vamoose!" worked well.

Here's a good one, too - one of the people in our group had their camera stolen by a passerby who offered to take their picture in front of the Duomo in Florence. They actually handed the guy their camera and posed - bye bye camera with all their pictures on the SD card. That is one urban myth that actually does happen. Unload your pictures nightly if you can, or use multiple cards. You can replace a camera, right?

Archived