smart casual specialty restaurant formal night

stevel45

You realize you are opening a big can of worms here. Read the Princess Answer Book and mnake your own conclusion. I will not give you an answer or opinion and anyone else who claims they are giving you a factual answer are just giving you their opinion.

Good Luck!!

Where's Brian when we need him?!?

I think Brian has given up on all of the bad info, misinformation and general Bxxxxxxt that goes on here. I give him great credit for his past real and factual information that he has posted. He had some great posts.

Ron

I actually love the first few answers.

If you haven't figured out yet, you've raised one of those topics that tends to bring out posters with very strong opinions.

Here's my take which, I think, is sort of a general middle ground.

In general, people tend to feel that formal dress is appropriate for the diningrooms and specialty restaurants on formal night.

And, based on the information quoted above, it is generally felt that, if you wish not to dress formally, the Horizon Court, Cafe Caribe or room service in your cabin are probably the best bets.

However, in my experience, you will see people in "smart casual" attire in all dining venues on formal nights.

There will be fellow passengers (and certainly posters on here) who look down on this. There are others couldn't care less what others wear. I have also seen posters who state that the Maitre 'd and/or head waiter in diningrooms and/or specialty restaurants will turn people away who are not dressed in formal wear. I have, personally, never seen this (unless the passenger is dressed in t-shirt and ripped jeans.) Though, I can't say this might not happen.

Bottom line is, I hope the above information will sort of give you the "lay of the land" so that you can make your own choice. And, if you're asking me, I think you should make your own choice based on what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I enjoy dressing up on formal night but, on the other hand, it does not bother me in the slightest if I see someone in the diningroom or a specialty restaurant on formal night dressed in some other way, especially if they're smiling and enjoying themselves.

I'm just hoping to help. Honestly, cruising is one of my favorite things. It's one of my favorite vacations, and it should be all about you having a good time and enjoying yourselves.

So ..., enjoy, and happy cruising! :D

Dont worry about it. I dont think the staff is going to make you go with out if you dont dress up like everyone else thinks you should. Its your Vacation so just relax and have fun. Everyone else can just relax too. Its not like our dinner is going to taste any differnt because they dont dress up.:p

We are not taking any formal clothes. Would it be alright to wear smart casual

clothes to specialty restaurants on formal nights.

Thanks

Steve

It will be fine.

On our last two cruises while signing up for specialty restaurants on embarkation day (on The Golden and The Grand) everyone was told that smart casual was proper dress at all times in the specialty restaurants.

If you want to verify you can call 1-800-PRINCESS and they will tell you the same.

Mike:)

I wear a sport coat (blazer), dress shirt and pants on formal night and have never had a problem. With one exception I have always worn this on formal night. I did wear a nice pullover sweater instead of the blazer on the AK cruise because I was cold. I am retired and refuse to wear a tie. On my last cruise out of the four couples at the table, one gentleman had on a suit (NY) with the rest in sport coats. Only on the AK cruise did I have one gentleman wear a tux at the dinner table the first formal night.

I am not a formal type and am most comfortable in my shorts, Tevas and tshirt.

Thanks

Steve

Steve- We went to Sabatini's on Formal Night in "Smart Casual" once when we didn't pack Formal Wear and it was fine. Even made our reservations the "day of" without any problems, this was the first Formal Night so maybe that was why it wasn't that busy. Only one couple was formally dressed that night in Sabatini's on that particular sailing.

Personally, I wouldn't head to the Main Dining Room on Formal Night without a suit, not because I give a Rat's A** how people dress but because I wouldn't feel comfortable. Felt totally comfortable at Sabatini's that night. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Where's Brian when we need him?!?

I think Brian has given up on all of the bad info, misinformation and general Bxxxxxxt that goes on here. I give him great credit for his past real and factual information that he has posted. He had some great posts.

Ron

Actually, Brian has been "banned" - you're right though, it may have been lifted at this point but he's decided not to come back.

I miss him too. His posts were so reasonable, intelligent and well thought out.

Did you notice how I managed to avoid the question at hand? ;) :D

some were turned away at Sabortinis because they were wearing casual clothes.

It's ok in the other restaurants where there's no charge...i.e. De Vinvi and Michelangelo

When and on what ship did this occur?

And Da Vinci and Michelangeo are dining rooms, not restaurants.

When and on what ship did this occur?

And Da Vinci and Michelangeo are dining rooms, not restaurants.

Yes, I meant dining rooms.

I don't know which week, I was told so, I was there 10th to 24th January, on the Ruby

Actually, Brian has been "banned" - you're right though, it may have been lifted at this point but he's decided not to come back.

Sharon - yes I did. You are the wise one!! ;):D;)

Just so i can get everyones freak up!!!!

I usually wear a tux! It does not fit any longer so i wear a dark suit!!

Having said that one time and one time only i walked in with dress SHORTS and dress shirt and sat at OUR table for 2 and not a word was said.I do not believe anyone even noticed since i was not parading around the restaurant,my table cloth covered my legs and we were near the exit door!!!YIKES!!!:D:):p;):eek::eek:

No matter what is printed or what others believe, we're on the Ruby right now & will be at Sabatini's tonight with jeans & a polo shirt on with no problem what so ever.

In the dining room lat night there were a few guys not dressed formally with just a long sleeve shirt & decent pants & were admitted with out any questions. The girl at the entrance door informed me that I should put my coat on until I reached the table since I wore a short sleeved shirt with a bright colored logo from Panama on it (without a tie) & the Maitre D might say something. I take my suit jacket with me for just such occasions. We were seated & dined at our assigned table with out my jacket on with no problems.

No shorts were even see at diner in the dining rooms at any time. Some T shirts were worn on casual evenings as well as jeans. Many people had jeans on during the whole cruise at other times.

Brian was not banned!! If anything he probably banned himself for the reasons I previously mentioned.

Ron

Thanks

Steve

We always pack formal wear with the intention of eating in the diningroom on formal nights. We used to look foward to dressing up but now we can take it or leave it. On our past cruise in November we met a couple who invited us to join them at Sabatini's on formal night. They did not bring formal wear. We didn't want them to feel out of place so we dressed smart casual. It was very liberating. If anyone spoke bad about us it just ment that they were jealous.

Archived