Do names on booking have to be exactly the same as on passport?

Aquarian

I received my packet from Princess and it says to call them if your booking name isn't the same as on your passport. For example: Our Princess booking shows John Smith and Sally Smith. The passports say John Allen Smith, Jr. and Sally Ann Smith. Is this a problem or not?

I received my packet from Princess and it says to call them if your booking name isn't the same as on your passport. For example: Our Princess booking shows John Smith and Sally Smith. The passports say John Allen Smith, Jr. and Sally Ann Smith. Is this a problem or not?

No, that won't matter. My passport also shows my middle name and my booking does not. Have never been questioned about it.

Even the last name is not always the same - I have a hyphenated last name and Princess booking does not allow hyphens. So some times the name is all joined together and sometimes it's two names - no hyphen.

Middle names are not necessary. Two-part first names like "John Paul" need only the first part of the first name.

There's no way my first, middle and last names could fit in any cruise line's computer system. Even my drivers' license takes up 2 lines just for my name! (I blame this on verbose parents and a DH with a massive last name!) :D

In other words, as long as your first name and last name match exactly, you're fine. ;)

I see you're posting from the US so it might be different for you but everytime we've booked, both our TA and Princess has made a big deal about our names matching on our Canadian passports and our cruise docs.

My name is fairly simple, just first and last, no middle. My wife hyphenates so her last name is quite long and it doesn't always fit everywhere, so maybe that's the issue. Not sure.

My problem is that I have to change names while on the ship! I go by Ginny, which is a nickname for my middle name. However my passport shows my legal name to be (not really) Jane Genevieve Doe. Because they tend to ignore middle names they all refer to me as Jane. So to all my friends, coworkers, etc I am Ginny. But as soon as I step on a ship I am Jane. I accept it and answer to anything. It's just easier that way.:D

I use my middle name, but my passport has first middle last, and that's how the booking had to be, according to my TA. The Princess docs had first name, middle initial, last name. Docs had my first name as Micheal, while it was Michael on my passport. This was a problem to the security agent at the pier, although no issue to anyone else. On top of that, because my previous Princess cruises had been prior to 9-11 and just using my middle and last names, but captain's circle number didn't match with my name now, so I had to have that all changed around once on board.

I have a different question regarding to passports. My friend's wife still has her maiden name on her passport, but is bringing her marriage certificate, driver's license as well. I have heard mixed things on this, but here's the deal: We fly from Philly to San Juan and cruising on the CB (Sounthern Caribbean ports). So is it true that we technically won't even need a passport? The Princess website is confusing. It states that they highly suggest that you bring a passport in case you had to fly out of one of the islands directly..Can someone clarify??

If the passport is "recommended" and not "required", ie you are sailing prior to june 2009 it is technically not needed for land/sea travel to the carribean but if you were stranded due to missing the ship or medical issues in say grenada, aruba or dominica etc etc and need to fly home it would be extremely difficult and probably take alot of work,alot of assistance from the us & possibly many days to accomplish without a passport.

If the passport is "recommended" and not "required", ie you are sailing prior to june 2009 it is technically not needed for land/sea travel to the carribean but if you were stranded due to missing the ship or medical issues in say grenada, aruba or dominica etc etc and need to fly home it would be extremely difficult and probably take alot of work,alot of assistance from the us & possibly many days to accomplish without a passport.

But you would need a certified birth certificate and another governmnet id.

on my first cruise i was booked as debbie, however my legal name is deborah, my agent called them a week before the cruise and they made a note on the passenger list for check in. I think as long as you notify them it won't be a problem. Just call them or have your agent do it.

Archived